Crown's 2013 show "E=mc2"

Does there have to be a thing to "get?"

I don't think there really "needs" to be something to get, but it's not unreasonable to expect a drum corps show in 2013 to have some kind concept or theme that the viewer can get out of it. Pretty sure the OP is is just saying he doesn't understand what the theme is supposed to be, which is understandable.

I don't completely understand it either, but I'm guessing that a lot of people are probably trying to find some sort of narrative in the show, which I don't think it's really trying to do. The original Einstein on the Beach was an unconventional opera with no narrative/storyline. I think the way the program presents itself is just supposed to be a broad portrait of a genius' mind (I guess this is where all the narration stems from). The hypnotic counting rhythms and muttering poetry are probably supposed to be some kind of poetic portrayal of this. Except for the part in the ballad where the narration starts talking about a love story, I don't get that. I could be completely wrong but this is what I get out of it.

The Washington Post's review of Einstein on the Beach said "Einstein sometimes seemed a study in sensory overload, meaning everything and nothing." Sounds about right.

Edited by MalEightball
  • Like 1

I'm sure you mean well and I'm not trying to be negative - but man, there is something wrong if I have to go do research to watch a drum corps show.

As far as I'm concerned, if a corps can not explain what their show is about in 3-4 sentences then forget it. You don't have art, all you have is a jumble of musical gymnastics searching for a theme.

I agree with you and, since I've been watching marching band and now drum corps, I have an acronym for these kinds of shows: JABOM/M (Just A Bunch Of Music/Marching)

Now, that doesn't mean I think those kinds of shows are bad. But personally, I like shows that try to tell a story or something.

• Like 1

This sentence posted with their show announcement pretty much sums it up in my opinion:

"Inspired by the spirit of innovation and the passion for discovery, 2013 Carolina Crown presents “E=mc2”

Sums up what?

• Like 3

I'd usually agree but this show is so bad ssa that I don't really care what the story line is. I'm completely engaged from start to finish and the horn line makes me feel like it's 1995 again. Watching them live was amazing. It was like I had been fed for the first time in years. My soul starved to hear and see amazing drum corps and it was satisfied.

For the record, I dig the drum book too.

If you're wondering if you should or shouldn't go to a show where Crown is performing you need to go or you'll regret it forever. It really is that good.

I agree with you and, since I've been watching marching band and now drum corps, I have an acronym for these kinds of shows: JABOM/M (Just A Bunch Of Music/Marching)

Now, that doesn't mean I think those kinds of shows are bad. But personally, I like shows that try to tell a story or something.

Edited by Alex M.
  • Like 1

Sums up what?

Exactly what the show is about....

"Inspired by the spirit of innovation and the passion for discovery, 2013 Carolina Crown presents “E=mc2”

The show is innovative in its nature and exploring the bounds of "What is drum corps?"

(I can make it connect, but its off-base from the deeper theme)

Basically, there are 2 ways to understand the show, research EOTB or read that sentence and the show title and figure it out for yourself... Energy equals Mass times the Speed of Light Squared. The show itself is very spacey in nature as well and makes a whole lot more sense than some other shows this year.

1373133713[/url]' post='3280493']

Does there have to be a thing to "get?"

Yes.

I haven't seen Crown live yet, but I've seen plenty of show videos, and I'm still not getting the concept of E=mc2. I do like that they use music from "2001: A Space Odyssey," but I'm still not seeing how any of the show music or drill design (except the infinity at the beginning; love that) ties in to what I think they're trying to say. Am I missing something? Or is this a common problem?

Disclaimer: Please excuse the fact that I am probably missing the most obvious thing about the show. It's not like me to go completely blind like this. blink.gif

They also play music from the Abyss and Einstein on the Beach...

That's all "mathy", right? satisfied.gif

Frankly, I'm not sure there is a big connection. It's more of a what artsy type people think is "mathy" show.... ....and the music sounds good together too....