Crown's 2013 show "E=mc2"

Show is simple to understand, without ballad of course. Show titled e=mc^2 and there's counting and a black board/marker board with formulas going around the field. /thread.

Now ballad narration and Abyss, you got me there. Maybe it's a science fiction tale of math and love? No that's not it...

I think the love story part is about how despite however well we understand the universe via Einstein's theory or whatever other science we come up with, love remains a mystery that's bigger and deeper and broader than anything we can explain. From that POV, the choice of music from The Abyss makes perfect sense. The chasm between our understanding of the universe and the power of love is greater than anything we can comprehend.

The original text from the opera spells it out pretty clearly, IMO:

How much do I love you? Count the stars in the sky. Measure the waters of the oceans with a teaspoon. Number the grains of sand on the sea shore. Impossible, you say. Yes and it is just as impossible for me to say how much I love you.

My love for you is higher than the heavens, deeper than Hades, and broader than the earth. It has no limits, no bounds. Everything must have an ending except my love for you."

God that part chokes me up just thinking about it. Remove all cynicism from your thoughts and read it earnestly. To love someone that intensely... that's more powerful than what E=mc^2 represents.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 6

I don't completely understand it either, but I'm guessing that a lot of people are probably trying to find some sort of narrative in the show, which I don't think it's really trying to do.

But when you literally add narration to a show, it isn't so far-fetched for people to try to figure out the overall narrative...

I mean, listen, if you want a generic theme that no one is going to try to analyze in any way, do what PR did -- "Triumphant Journey." No digging deep there.

"E=mc^2" is much, much more specific. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't seem to add up to much at this point in the season, but come finals, I'm going to start to wonder. I won't enjoy the show any less, but I will wonder if it failed at conveying something it was trying to convey.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3

I think the love story part is about how despite however well we understand the universe via Einstein's theory or whatever other science we come up with, love remains a mystery that's bigger and deeper and broader than anything we can explain. From that POV, the choice of music from The Abyss makes perfect sense. The chasm between our understanding of the universe and the power of love is greater than anything we can comprehend.

Based purely on the sentiments of some of CC's other recent programs ("grass is always greener," etc.) I'd say this is right.

This is my favorite carolina crown show since Triple Crown (07).

my one beef with the show is that the love story thing only takes place in the ballad, we (or at least I) really don't care about the characters on the bench because they weren't foreshadowed or featured earlier in the show. Nor after the ballad. At least, that's what I see from the Fan Network. Maybe they'll develop them more and more as the season goes on.

My favorite corps is the Blue Devils, but I wouldn't mind seeing them lose out this year to this show.

I have thought similar things about this show... but I've been afraid to say it on here. Glad someone took the leap of faith to throw it out there. It's not like it's a bad show, in fact the arranging and the design itself are incredible (as usual). But I agree that often times people are complaining that "so-and-so's show doesn't make any sense to me. What is supposed to be going on?", "They could name the title anything and play the same music." Just go look at the Bluecoats thread, where people said they don't understand how the show relates to America at all when I think it's a lot more clear than Crown's theme (just using an example). I'm not complaining or trying to start anything, it's just interesting how the vibe of the "show theme" attitude can vary from person to person and corps to corps. In my opinion, Crown could do a show called "We Do What We Want" and play whatever source material made the crowd go nuts and people would love it.

• Like 1

How about... the show is about time, space, energy and the infinite. And true love itself is infinite. Doesn't the boy on the bench say something like he will love the girl until the end of time?

Anyway - I'm going to go with that.

Now, can someone please help me understand the Blue Knights show??? Because I don't get anything about it that says "no beginning, no end."

• Like 1