Folded corps that would be relevant

I am kind of shocked that no one has suggested Guardsmen! They had a horn line that was years ahead of most and if they could have transferred that kind of "air supremacy" they would be the equivalent of BD or Crown today! When they started into the jazz charts they were simply incredible!

• Like 1

I am kind of shocked that no one has suggested Guardsmen! They had a horn line that was years ahead of most and if they could have transferred that kind of "air supremacy" they would be the equivalent of BD or Crown today! When they started into the jazz charts they were simply incredible!

• Like 1

Guardsmen also had a great colorguard! No one could do double fast rifle spins like those girls.

---t

• Like 1

Indeed, but theoretically let's say these corps were around and modern, who'd have the best chance... I'd say Suncoast they were ahead of the game in doing original music or Star with their design. Ask yourself this.... untouched still the same show would Star 93 make finals, place in top 6?

I personally think that show would still have the ability to win today, speaking of the 1993 Star of Indiana. Excellence in performance would hold up in any time period of DCI. As far as Suncoast Sound is concerned I think they would have continued to innovate like no other and push the envelope of this art form we know as Drum Corps. This is especially true considering the numbers of former members of the corps still very influential in today's activity. Star of Indiana can boast the same thing. The problem with Suncoast was financial. The organization had a golden egg given to them by Circle K food & gas stores, but spent frivolously without setting a good chunk of that sponsorship aside for the future. Had that been done right, Suncoast I think would have stayed in the top 6 consistently and may have won once along the way.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd throw Velvet Knights into the mix as a Finals contender. I know they tried to come back recently and unsuccessfully but had they been able to keep their momentum from the 90s it would be interesting to see where a corps like them, and Bridgeman, would be today.

On a different note, I think it would also be interesting to see where a Div II powerhouse like East Coast Jazz would be today had they been able to stay so strong in that division. Would they have made the jump to World Class and if so, would they be where Academy is, or would they have struggled financially like Teal Sound and ended up folding anyway?

Obviously things we'll never know but fun to think about.

I know this was posted a while ago but since I recently got a subscription to the fan network and accidently clicked the 2011 semifinals performance of Teal Sound and was blown away........great brass sound...sad it folded........I heard from another post somewhere that Teal Sound will never form again even with sponsorship...that true ? Sad..

The 1979 Guardsmen brass was one of the most amazing lines of all time. What power and clarity.

Relevance today I would say Star because of their excellence and sophistication both musically and visually. Their "style" constantly evolved so they could morph into something that was competitive at any given time. Some of my favorite corps like 27th Lancers and Bridgemen had very definitive styles that may be hard to compete today. ( I don't think playing Danny Boy every year as a closer would be rewarded by today's judges).