San Antonio Showdown

just rewatched Troopers - LOVE THAT SHOW :thumbup:/>

I won't be able to see them until 1/4s at Indy :(

Thank you, George! By quarters there will likely be some new things (and cleaned up things!) to bring more smiles to fans' faces. :thumbup:

Crowd reaction & response needs a place on the scoresheets. BD's "F U" to the fans style of Drum Corps is not healthy for this activity, & most drum corps fans are sick & tired of seeing it rewarded.

Thankfully you don't speak for "most drum corps fans".

BD has my favorite show of the season, yet I probably applauded and cheered more throughout other shows.

• Like 6

Hmmm, let's see. Get standing ovations every time, sell more tickets. Yeah, we don't want Drum Corps to be about that, do we? tongue.gif

I love "cheap" (Yes, those simple but effective power chords and company fronts. I call them cheap, even with quotes... is that any clue in on my mentality? :shutup:/>) thrills and moments of awe-inspiring power, but I definitely don't believe it's necessary every show contains that kind of moment, at least not one that gets the standing ovations.

I don't ever give Madison, example given partly because I think they're the most fan-friendly group any more year to year, enough credit; their build-up play into those kind of moments has become an art-form in and of itself. Not all company fronts are either appropriate or big moments, sometimes they can be awkward, but I don't think I've seen one of those from Madison in a while, if ever. There's credit due there.

Sorry if I went off on a very unrelated tangent.

Carolina Crown this season is a far cry from the Corps that did Bohemian Rhapsody, Triple Crown, Rach Star, Grass is Greener, etc... They changed their unis to a decidely " different look ", and this Einstein show is no day at the beach in terms of audience grasp of theme. I would say they have taken a moderate trek into the world of the Strange and the Weird, but not with both feet. Music is still entertaining, with great appeal still, imo.

However, if BD wins this year with this bizarre show of The Wrongs of Spring with music that is befitting as a music backdrop for finger nails being dragged along a blackboard, then watch out for Crown in 2014. My hunch that in order to beat BD, Crown will jump in with both feet into the World of the Chronically Weird for 2014.

So I connected the Fan Network to the TV at my parents and we watched (mom, dad and my daughter). My mom came on tour with me in 87 as a helper, and probably hasn't seen drum corps since the late 80's. My daughter has gone to Allentown the past 2 years, and the theater early this year. In general, almost nothing held their interest. My father said "it doesnt sound like music" (ie, chop-and-bop, no memorable melodies), nobody got the "theme" of any of the shows except Les Mis. I tried explaining a few of the themes but they didn't get it/see it. My daughter changed her mind and only want to go to 1 day of Allentown because she doesn't really like a lot of the shows. None of us could pay attention to BD after a few minutes. When it was over, I popped on youtube and played La Fiesta from 84 Blue Devils and we all thought it was much better than anything then play nowadays.

I guess the general point is one I've said in other posts of mine, nobody *I* know and have exposed to drum corps the past 2 or so years likes it enough to want to see another show, and I'm pretty much there with them. The show that entertain them and hold their interest dwindle in number each year. They hate narration (they don't care if EotB has it in the original.. they've never heard of EotB, aren't going to look it up, and would probably think it's pretty ridiculous if they did bother to listen to the original). First thing they asked when BD had their big hit in the first min or so was "are they playing the wrong notes" and I had to give them some quick info on Rite and dissonance/resolution.

• Like 3

First thing they asked when BD had their big hit in the first min or so was "are they playing the wrong notes" and I had to give them some quick info on Rite and dissonance/resolution.

Heh. I'd love BD to put that on a t-shirt: "Yes, these are the right notes."

• Like 3

It sounds like you're comparing BD to canned vegetables: unpleasant tasting but nutritious. Are you doing that?

Yes....there is a direct correlation between BD and healthy canned food preparations. blink.gif/>

The immediate inclination for the shopper is to avoid canned prepared foods (particularly vegetables) as a result of latent, bad childhood memories of mothers with wooden spoons standing over them demanding consumption before dessert.....followed quickly by the often bland and lifeless taste on the consumable....normally accompanied by the scrunched up face of the child. But then one day they find themselves in a dorm room somewhere...deeply in need of nourishment, but they are broke (normally as a result of spending their monthly allowance from home on "other" plant life)....curiously, they then find that evil can of beans in their bed stand (obviously left there by their mother during a dorm visit) and the memories come rushing back.....but hunger overcomes their predisposed opinion and they frantically search for an opener. They ravish the canned product with a plastic spoon they find in a drawer, drinking the tepid vegetable water in the bargain...............then they suddenly feel a sense of strength and power provided by the aforementioned despised canned product....and they spend the rest of the night finishing that overdue term paper.....receiving a 98.7 (err....A+) for their effort.

The moral: Eat your vegetables......you just might like them, and they're good for ya! tongue.gif/>

Edited by Plan9

It's prtty obvious who is having a better year than last year. Differences from DCI San Antonio 2012 to 2013:

Troopers + 4.45

Mandarins + 4.3

Blue Knights +3.4

Pacific Crest + 3.2

Colts + 2.15

Santa Clara Vanguard + 1.75

Cavaliers + 1.7

The Cadets + 1.5

Pioneer + .4

Bluecoats + .2

Madison Scouts + .2

Blue Stars + .1