Phantom Regiment 2013- too much of a good thing?

I like the Phantom Regiment usually but have become increasingly bored over the last few years with what I've seen from them. There is a lot of talent in that corps yet in my opinion (and I know not everyone feels this way) I feel as if I've been watching the same show since 2009.

PR seems forgettable this year, and is a stagnant 5th place at this point. I don't see them making a move into 4th place. Now, I know 5th place is nothing to scoff at and the members should be proud. I just would love to see them do something COMPLETELY different from a design standpoint.

• Like 9

Who is JD with now?

the music is what loses me. They haven't grabbed me musically since JD's departure.

While I really dig what they are doing visually, visual alone is not enough to make me really enjoy a show.

I like their music this year. It's better than last year.

That being said, the "concept" of Triumphant Journey and the reality of the show indicate a disconnect.

I hate to say it, but Phantom should avoid stories for a while. This is Red Violin 2.0 So few other corps do a true story because it boxes in the group to follow the story.

With this year, I see a disproportionate amount of time spent on "enchanted forest" with less time spent on the whole "dragon slaying" part.

"Whomever" gets the sword in Nimrod, after a few minutes of drill moves we get to the dragon? Even the dragon slaying is not clear. If you do a story, it has to be clear.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 6

Buick Dad, staying true to their style does not mean repetition or rehash of the same idea, theme, story line or whatever you want to call it. I'm sure you all are tired of me saying that, but that's why I think they are will not remain relevant in the activity. I have been a fan of PR since I first saw them in 1980 and have seen some great shows they have produced. And while they all had the Phantom trademark, they were all unique both musically and visually.

In the case of this year, the show has sucked the life out of a tired theme. It's time to move on.

And if the truth be told, the departure of Shaw and Rennick is due to the strangle of one egomaniac who is the whole problem.

• Like 3

And when did he leave?

JD is with SCV. He left year before last.

Edited by srb30a