Broken Arrow, OK

I agree with all of your points here........well, except for the Ball. I really like the Ball.....and how it's being used :smile:/> . Not sure if Kickhaltsforlife has seen the show live.......this is a show that (I think) doesn't read as well on the FN. I loved it live......so much eye candy in the color palette alone. The show design is very creative and entertaining. I guess we'll see how it progresses through the coming weeks, but it's already a favorite of mine!

I don't mind the usage, just the staging, namely the closer. But now that I say that...they have a new closer. :doh: I have a feeling this is fixed then. It was just kinda off to the side for the ending the last time I saw the show. We shall see Saturday! :w00t:

It seems to me the Colts are being left out of the equation here:

The Troopers were only 1.5 ahead of The Colts

Crossmen just .85 ahead of the Colts

Pacific Crest – 2.25 behind the Colts

I think the Colts are holding their own and for some reason they are being over looked...

I wouldn't throw them out just yet; although they go on at a pretty lousy time in San Antonio, that will hurt them but it's not over!

During Boo's comments at Indy last year during prelims, he referenced the Colts' performance with a phrase similar to "World Class has definitely started!" The hypercompetetive might see this a a slight knock or slightly unfortunate; but given what they try to achieve with generally 17 year olds, rook outs, and the extremely loyal, I see it as sincerely complimentary. At the Corps group hug to end the season last year, they were told the season would end when they let go of each other. No one did. THAT speaks volumes to the value of that Corps and makes Boo's comment almost transcendent. If that's the bar for other Corps to achieve, then it's set astronomically high.

Edited by 13strokeroll
  • Like 4

My first show of the season. 10 corps - wow.

A few things stood out:

- I had heard a FN performance by Pac Crest from some weeks ago and was really impressed with their sound (as best as I could tell). I was surprised that they hadn't improved any more than they had. The video had me thinking they might be a finalist contender, but now I'm not so sure. Really enjoyed the show, though.

- Xmen protesting was a bit too much. I wish it wasn't quite so literal.

- I was incredibly impressed with Spirit - great show, cheesy elements but done well. And I'm surprised they aren't much closer to BK.

- As for BK, I think the musical selections are great, and I think the brassline performs pretty well. Visually, the ball makes me :(.

- Cadets sounded incredible - I haven't heard that from them in a while. Cleverly designed show - a lot of side-by-side nuances in the drill. There MUST be a more effective way to roll the props around. They add so much visual dirt when things aren't together, spacing is (way) off. I don't know if this is something that will be fixed. Members seem to really struggle wheeling them around.

I watched Cadets rehearse at Jenks High School. The drum major wore an OU shirt - is he a Sooner? (if so, this is my favorite show of the season... :) )

• Like 1

I am thinking Pacific Crest will be closer to Spirt than the Troopers will be.

Really, I guess you might have been just a TAD off! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My first show of the season. 10 corps - wow.

A few things stood out:

- I had heard a FN performance by Pac Crest from some weeks ago and was really impressed with their sound (as best as I could tell). I was surprised that they hadn't improved any more than they had. The video had me thinking they might be a finalist contender, but now I'm not so sure. Really enjoyed the show, though.

- Xmen protesting was a bit too much. I wish it wasn't quite so literal.

- I was incredibly impressed with Spirit - great show, cheesy elements but done well. And I'm surprised they aren't much closer to BK.

- As for BK, I think the musical selections are great, and I think the brassline performs pretty well. Visually, the ball makes me :(.

- Cadets sounded incredible - I haven't heard that from them in a while. Cleverly designed show - a lot of side-by-side nuances in the drill. There MUST be a more effective way to roll the props around. They add so much visual dirt when things aren't together, spacing is (way) off. I don't know if this is something that will be fixed. Members seem to really struggle wheeling them around.

I watched Cadets rehearse at Jenks High School. The drum major wore an OU shirt - is he a Sooner? (if so, this is my favorite show of the season... :) )

Did you see the Colts, or were they the invisible corps that went on after Pacific Crest and scored a full 2.5 above them?

• Like 1

Did you see the Colts, or were they the invisible corps that went on after Pacific Crest and scored a full 2.5 above them?

*full 2.25

I didn't realize I was obligated to discuss everything in my "things that stood out" list.

I thought the use of some of the old rock tunes was a little cheesy at times. I really liked Can't Help Falling in Love, the use of which seemed to be reminiscent of last year's All By Myself. I like the unis, especially the two-colored plumes, but I wish there was more red on them.

*full 2.25

I didn't realize I was obligated to discuss everything in my "things that stood out" list.

I thought the use of some of the old rock tunes was a little cheesy at times. I really liked Can't Help Falling in Love, the use of which seemed to be reminiscent of last year's All By Myself. I like the unis, especially the two-colored plumes, but I wish there was more red on them.

Thank you, I didn't mean to sound rude, I promise. I just think they're a little left out and some of us like to hear about them too. :wink:/> That goes for all corps actually; we sit here glued to our computers every show, there was a large crowd on here last night, waiting for any news we can get. We are fans, some of us have family (I do) and friends out there too. Again, I'm sorry if I stepped over the line.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

Yep...PC Dad, but also been around the game for a while.

The other corps in the Blue Stars, Troopers, Crossmen, Colts, PC grouping have been going head to head for quite some time now. The judges have a better feel for how they (BS, Troop, Xmen, Colts) stack up and elements to listen and watch for in each of the shows. This is the first time most of the judges have seen PC in the mix and it's probably not quite as clear where they fall in that grouping. Technically, judges shouldn't be comparing, rather just scoring the elements on the sheets. However, the very nature of judging one group over another requires some preconception.

I don't think this will be fleshed out by San Antonio. I do know that PC is far better than any of their corps that I have seen in the past seven years I have been watching them. They also have a very talented staff who have been in the trenches before and know what they need to do to produce results. I will reserve any other comments regarding PC until after Altanta when there have been enough head to heads for the judges to figure it out.

• Like 2

Yep...PC Dad, but also been around the game for a while.

The other corps in the Blue Stars, Troopers, Crossmen, Colts, PC grouping have been going head to head for quite some time now. The judges have a better feel for how they (BS, Troop, Xmen, Colts) stack up and elements to listen and watch for in each of the shows. This is the first time most of the judges have seen PC in the mix and it's probably not quite as clear where they fall in that grouping. Technically, judges shouldn't be comparing, rather just scoring the elements on the sheets. However, the very nature of judging one group over another requires some preconception.

I don't think this will be fleshed out by San Antonio. I do know that PC is far better than any of their corps that I have seen in the past seven years I have been watching them. They also have a very talented staff who have been in the trenches before and know what they need to do to produce results. I will reserve any other comments regarding PC until after Altanta when there have been enough head to heads for the judges to figure it out.

Come Indy it wouldn't surprise me to see them in the mix in one way or another.

• Like 1

Really, I guess you might have been just a TAD off! :rolleyes:/>

I am a brass guy, so I was refering to their brass score. :cool:/>