Proposal: Move In Rule

Move In Rule  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the Move In Rule is a good idea?

For a long while now, I've been thinking about how DCI could develop a rule that would help level the summer competitive playing field. I came up with some ideas. Let's call it the "Move In Rule." Parameters:

1. WC and OC competing junior corps may begin move-in's on the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend.

2. WC and OC competing junior corps may not require (or strongly encourage via contract stipulation) that members move to their corps' local area, or any local or remote rehearsal site, earlier than the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend.

3. WC and OC competing junior corps may have one camp every 4 weeks beginning in November. If a corps opts to skip a month or two, they may add those camps after February - thus making camps more frequent between March and May.

4. WC and OC competing junior corps may require members to submit progress video recordings, audio recordings, or both, at any time during the non-competitive season.

5. Exemptions from these rules for certain members of the corps may be granted. Exemptions must be applied for via a formal proposal reviewed by a committee formed of members affiliated with WC and OC corps, and must represent a balanced number of these constituencies. (for example, 4 WC members across the WC spectrum, 4 OC members across the OC spectrum - as a suggestion) Examples of members or circumstances warranting exemptions: drum majors; section leaders; small numbers of veterans involved in overall corps leadership; small numbers of veterans involved in working with feeder organizations such as cadet corps, community ensembles or the like.

So.... discuss! (I'll add my own rationale in a moment)

so, my rationale:

This rule does NOT limit:

Design or instrumentation beyond the current limits

Membership age beyond the current limits

Membership place of origin

Talent levels

Amount required in dues, fees, or other funds

Audition procedures including fees, locations and frequency

This rule DOES prevent one major advantage that comes with an older average age: getting a big jump start on full corps rehearsals.

That's the main reason I came to propose this rule. Every corps can still set all of its own parameters about membership, dues, design, individual audio/visual assignment requirements, etc. but they have to play within a similar set of full corps rehearsal timelines.

Anyway, this idea came to me when thinking about how to create more parity without limiting things like local vs. non-local talent.

I don't see it happening. Hell, with todays shows, they can move in 2 weeks before your proposal and still not be done for the first show.

While I see some merit to it, kinda like how MLB or the NFL say you can't start training camps until such and such a date, I can't see corps directors agreeing to do it.

I don't see it happening. Hell, with todays shows, they can move in 2 weeks before your proposal and still not be done for the first show.

While I see some merit to it, kinda like how MLB or the NFL say you can't start training camps until such and such a date, I can't see corps directors agreeing to do it.

I agree with what you say - but perhaps the designers would choose different paths if the rule was in place? I also agree that I don't see directors agreeing to it, at least not at first glance. But I think there are plenty of corps who are already falling within these parameters simply by default given their resources and membership base, and they might benefit from this rule being in place.

(I promise I'm not going to stalk this thread all day - I just posted while taking a break from other stuff. I'll go away for a while now LOL)

I agree with what you say - but perhaps the designers would choose different paths if the rule was in place? I also agree that I don't see directors agreeing to it, at least not at first glance. But I think there are plenty of corps who are already falling within these parameters simply by default given their resources and membership base, and they might benefit from this rule being in place.

designers are going to do what designers are going to do. see it's about their "art", not anything else.

The only way to really force any kind of change is if schools change dates.

• Like 1

Directors and staff would push the first show back to July 1. The season would last five weeks.

The time it takes to teach these visual shows is what it is, and rushing the process only increases the likelihood of injuries to the members, either through strains or through collisions. No one wants that.

If you wanted to introduce an age handicapping system, where corps with the youngest average age have their scores boosted by a handicap, that would have some of the effect that you seek, but wouldn't be enough to make up a difference of, say, 73 points up to 85 points. And in the end, is a corps with an average age of 18.5 really working with that much younger a talent pool than a corps with an average age of 19.5?

It still comes down to finding the best instructional & design staffs and giving them the leadership they need to design and teach to the sheets.

Edited by Slingerland

Respectfully, not buying it. Even if it could happen, which it can't.

Why not legislate that all corps have shows written by same composers/arrangers/designers?

It works now, not the same for everyone, but it works.

• Like 1

For a long while now, I've been thinking about how DCI could develop a rule that would help level the summer competitive playing field. I came up with some ideas. Let's call it the "Move In Rule." Parameters:

1. WC and OC competing junior corps may begin move-in's on the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend.

2. WC and OC competing junior corps may not require (or strongly encourage via contract stipulation) that members move to their corps' local area, or any local or remote rehearsal site, earlier than the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend.

3. WC and OC competing junior corps may have one camp every 4 weeks beginning in November. If a corps opts to skip a month or two, they may add those camps after February - thus making camps more frequent between March and May.

4. WC and OC competing junior corps may require members to submit progress video recordings, audio recordings, or both, at any time during the non-competitive season.

5. Exemptions from these rules for certain members of the corps may be granted. Exemptions must be applied for via a formal proposal reviewed by a committee formed of members affiliated with WC and OC corps, and must represent a balanced number of these constituencies. (for example, 4 WC members across the WC spectrum, 4 OC members across the OC spectrum - as a suggestion) Examples of members or circumstances warranting exemptions: drum majors; section leaders; small numbers of veterans involved in overall corps leadership; small numbers of veterans involved in working with feeder organizations such as cadet corps, community ensembles or the like.

So.... discuss! (I'll add my own rationale in a moment)

I like it, but is there a way to modify it to encourage truly local membership? I'm just remembering the weekly Wednesday 7-930 pm resursals at the AL Post (ahh - the smell of the post - valve oil, stale beer, & stale cigarette smoke...)

The Oregon Crusaders is one of the worst victims of the schools getting out late. some not till the end of the 2nd week of June! I love this idea! The talent of the kids is there, and the staff is top notch with a very well designed show. I just fear they don't have enough time to truly clean the show at the level of corps that have an extra 2 weeks on them.

On another note, the show is very fun to watch!

• Like 1