ATLANTA, GA

Bluecoats' show doesn't make sense to me. It has all the elements, but it just feels like something is missing. I can't manage to put my finger on it. Great brass and percussion, though.

Remember, Bluecoats 08 didn't really come together until finals week.

It's not that often that someone is able to insult two corps at the same time. You are perhaps the kind of guy that would compliment his girlfriend by saying...."for a fat girl, you don't sweat much". blink.gif/>

I thought I was the only one who saw that as backhanded on the Troopers. I was too afraid to point it out shutup.gif

I think a lot of the falls can be contributed to the fact the last event at the Dome was the Gold Cup soccer event (the event that was supposed to be on Saturday night, and the reason DCI moved to Sunday, cancelled the Dome portion of their event). They put plywood or something similar on the field and cover the plywood with grass for the soccer game. This likely really compacted the turf and is probably the cause of so many falls.

I also noticed a lot of drops by the guard last night, especially the big impact tosses. I wonder if the white dome roof can be attributed to that.

I think a lot of the falls can be contributed to the fact the last event at the Dome was the Gold Cup soccer event (the event that was supposed to be on Saturday night, and the reason DCI moved to Sunday, cancelled the Dome portion of their event). They put plywood or something similar on the field and cover the plywood with grass for the soccer game. This likely really compacted the turf and is probably the cause of so many falls.

I also noticed a lot of drops by the guard last night, especially the big impact tosses. I wonder if the white dome roof can be attributed to that.

A matted down field is going to be slick, there's no doubt about that. I imagine the observation that Atlanta is turf might have made a few members feel like they could give a bit less control to try and max out their technique, but even turf isn't free of issues given to marchers, even if it is the best surface for the job just shy of asphalt. I don't want to imagine a tumble on asphalt. :shutup:/>

A matted down field is going to be slick, there's no doubt about that. I imagine the observation that Atlanta is turf might have made a few members feel like they could give a bit less control to try and max out their technique, but even turf isn't free of issues given to marchers, even if it is the best surface for the job just shy of asphalt. I don't want to imagine a tumble on asphalt. :shutup:/>/>

I asked my son about the surface and he said he didn't have any problems. But, he said it seemed like there were more loose rubber cushioning particles (AKA "turf t*rds") than normal.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing these same people whine and complain about the "G7" and the TOC. If any corps has a right to participate in the TOC its the Cavaliers. Last time I checked the Cavaliers had 7 championships.

I'm in full agreement there. Corps that have even 1 championship (let alone 2, or 5 or 7) should be in the Tour of CHAMPIONS! Corps that have no championships should not be. Simple as that. :cool:

• Like 2

And btw, although it's impossible to compare perfs from year to year, I find it interesting that the winning score of DCI South went from 94.80 ---> 93.15 ---> 92.90 in the last 3 years.

There's really not much to see when comparing the Atlanta Regional from year to year. If we did we'd see basically no changes at all in placements.

For example, last year and this year, the top 3 corps were in the same position: BD first, Crown 2nd, Cadets 3rd.

Of the top 16 Corps, no other Corps except the Troopers moved up or down more than 2 placement positions from last year at the Atlanta Regional. It was the same thing at the San Anton Regional too. There is no other competitive sport or enterprise that I'm aware of that has such little placement rankings shifts year over end as DCI Drum Corps currently has. DCI has more annual movement among competitors than any other sport too ( thats the big elephant in the room that many don't want to acknowledge, imo ) Thousands of marchers change Corps. Corps change shows completely from year to year two. But placements generally remain about the same on the whole if we're honest with ourselves about it.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree that the combination of torchia, Kelly, miller and lentz are my least favorite combination of judges and Definitly benefits some corps more then others.

Debbie Torchia and Marie Czapinski are (IMO) the two most unpredictable Visual judges out there. Might as well throw darts at a poster trying to guess how they'll score corps.

• Like 1

Debbie Torchia and Marie Czapinski are (IMO) the two most unpredictable Visual judges out there. Might as well throw darts at a poster trying to guess how they'll score corps.

Some people are actually looking for MORE " predictability " among judges scoring from show to show and from their placements ? Holy mackeral.

• Like 1