Abuse Vs Teaching

I think this is worth discussing only because at least once a year a concerned parent brings this up as a topic of discussion. As a parent of 3 I think this is a valid concern for parents of marching members who didn't march themselves. The degree of "abuse" that marching members are willing to put themselves through vs. your average summer vacation, is important to recognize. More important IMO is to help people new to the activity (especially parents) understand that what a marching member experiences throughout the summer is intense, demanding, defeating, and exponentially rewarding, which is why so many members finish a season exhausted, yet lamenting the end of their summer, and looking forward to their next audition.

• Like 6

I wonder if the concern of abuse starts with the MM or the parent?

I'm sure many parents would perceive the work ethic their kid is put through in corps as being abuse all by itself. Maybe even while their kid is bucking up and willing to take it.

I don't recall, in that other post, where Guardmomandfan said that there were complaints from her daughter.

I think kids are a lot tougher than most parents give them credit for.

• Like 2

Personally, I never saw anything like that. Marching corps is HARD, hardest, most demanding, physically draining, mentally draining, emotionally draining thing I have EVER done. Not even boot camp half way compared to marching corps. You constantly chase perfection, so yes, you get yelled at, called out, singled out, do push ups, run, do track work, etc...but, it is to break you down, to get to the core, raw self of who you are, and then you are built back up into an intense monster performer who wants more. I don't know how the simple act of marching wouldn't be looked at to an outsider as abuse. We did track work in Virginia, and when we finished, the pit arrived and when a girl in the pit saw the look on our faces, the intensity, she literally starting crying. You're gonna get yelled at, and if you are sticking out, you're gonna get yelled out more, if you're bringing up the rear, yep, getting scalded, constantly make the same mistake, more trouble. But it's not abuse, it's what required to achieve the amazing results we see on the field...again, my personal experience. It's not abuse, it's being forged into steel.

In other words, success in life.

1970 VFW prelims on the turf mid afternoon in black WOOL uniforms was considered par for the course.

Today it would be abuse :doh:

• Like 2

1970 VFW prelims on the turf mid afternoon in black WOOL uniforms was considered par for the course.

Today it would be abuse :doh:/>

No, it wouldn't. Plenty of corps with dark colored uni's perform every summer in ridiculously hot conditions. It's 11 minutes of sweating, not a big deal, and no where near what is being discussed here.

I agree with luv4corps, and think that he's more politically correct than incorrect. The pendulum has begun to swing back, and there's nothing wrong with expecting more out of our kids than they ever thought possible.

• Like 1

I agree that marching drum corps is difficult and requires a lot of commitment. As a teacher, I have witnessed certain situations that I haven't agreed with. I must mention that these instances mainly involved a tech, not a caption head or director. I believe we all need to be aware of our choice of words when working with students (members). Personally, I get offended with the use of foul language. I do think the majority of the staff working with corps are good people and have nothing but the best intentions. On the other hand, there are probably times when someone has gone a little too far with their choice of words towards members. Perhaps the daily life in a drum corps could be a great introduction for parents.

• Like 1

No, it wouldn't. Plenty of corps with dark colored uni's perform every summer in ridiculously hot conditions. It's 11 minutes of sweating, not a big deal, and no where near what is being discussed here.

I agree with luv4corps, and think that he's more politically correct than incorrect. The pendulum has begun to swing back, and there's nothing wrong with expecting more out of our kids than they ever thought possible.

What part of "wool" didn't you understand... :devil::tongue: Couldn't resist as I started in a late 60s style wool top that had a throat clip to make sure heat couldn't escape that way. LOT better when we bought the Blue Devils blouses in 1976....

Youngest people in our Sr corps were High School and once in a while a parent or outside adult would remark about certain staff members screaming and swearing at the "kids". They usually calmed down when told: 1) That's the way those instructors are with everyone regardless of age 2) They don't mind when the kids yell back as long as the reason is to make the show better.

"What the ####!!! You're screwing that up!!!"

"How the #### am I supposed to be doing it?"

"You're supposed to......"

"OH #####!!! I misunderstood". :doh:

"OK... now you understand... don't #### it up"

"OK..." :doh:

Irony is in a way the yelling helped the self confidence of some of the younger people (like me, fer instance). Thing was we were told "You get judged as hard as the older members so you get treated the same way". Remember one day catching Hell from the DI for a practice screw up. As the DI is walking away he looked at a 30ish sop (who happened to be a corps BoD member) and said "And you did the same #### thing... YOU should know better". Made ME feel better anyway knowing I was being "treated" the same.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1