Percussion

It's interesting that you believe if Crown's percussion improves they'll win it all. Since they didn't win GE in San Antonio or in MS vs. Cadets, when the performance caption is as clean by the others as Crown, they will have an advantage in Brass. How does that make them the winner just because the drums aren't 4th or 5th?

They started the year very clean with a good show. Everyone else is catching up or passing them. Unless they make some huge changes to their show I see them in a solid 3rd place (unless SCV bumps them) with BD and Cadets fighting for the ring.

I happen to agree with your comments, except for SCV catching Crown. The name of the game is captions and right now, BD and Cadets have more 1 and 2 across the board than Crown. Oh, did I say, "I love Crown's show", the problem is they have already thrown the kitchen sink in and have nothing left unless they change the ending completely. They want to win so they'll take that chance and change the ending.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I doubt it. Such an observation does a disservice to some phenomenal shows in the most recent past that were well executed, had high demand, and with balance in all sections. The top 3 Corps this year are very good, but I am unconvinced that they would " easily dominate " as leaders in other years against the top 2-3 Corps then. For example, I don't believe that Crown, BD, nor Cadets this year are fielding their best overall Corps ever. Thats why, I believe that Crown still has a very good shot to win it all this year.

Let's start with Crown's ace in the hole, their brass line. Right now their brass line is being challenged by Cadets and BD in that caption. Cadets have consisently, not by much, taken the GE caption (a caption you need to be considered for the gold), color guard captions are very close as well, that leaves percussion. As good as Crown is this year there are several percussion lines that are very good. Many have picked SCV to win that caption but I think Cadets have just as good a chance at stealing (that's right, stealing) that caption. End result....Cadets, BD, Crown, SCV. Oh, what fun!!!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I happen to agree with your comments, except for SCV catching Crown. The name of the game is captions and right now, BD and Cadets have more 1 and 2 across the board than Crown. Oh, did I say, "I love Crown's show", the problem is they have already thrown the kitchen sink in and have nothing left unless they change the ending completely. They want to win so they'll take that chance and change the ending.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

This is what happened to Cavaliers in 2011. Right now, this season is looking pretty similar with Crown in that position (FYI, I want them to win).

I think if they place 5th in percussion they could still win. There are some really really good lines out there and two more from open class just showed up on the circuit.

• Like 1

One question is whether Crown stays ahead of the Cavaliers in percussion. It's been close since Crown came from the West.

After watching the entire show in San Antonio. I am disappointed in the fact the corp that deserved to win was denied due to one caption. Crowns show has some much more than devils show. Yet, the judging community and DCI are continuously finding new ways to keep someone other than devils, cadets or cavaliers from winning. It is amazing how much of the scores are about politics. Remember Star 93 much better show and cleaner than anything out there, yet politics won. It is ashame that the kids who are performing are the ones who are getting hurt. Give the new kid a chances.

But hey I'm sure there are a lot of people who disagree with me.

Bigtuba1993

Hi,

I'm in the mood for fun, so along came your misguided rant to help me out.

First this year....in order to win, you have to have the highest score. That means all captions get added up, multiplied, divided, cubed etc and you get that final number. Now, while you claim politics, a little research would do you well. Crown's percussion issues have been..well..no secret for a few years now, and it seems to grow every year. As such, the numbers being what they are.....are enough to hurt them with the overall number. It's not politics as you claim, because right now, percussion has been bounced around between 3 corps, BD, Cadets and SCV.

now to go back to 93, yes, Star did beat Cadets handily a few times when they first met. I think it was DCI North prelims where they tied.In Denver, Cadets beat them, and did again until quarterfinals, and then Cadets took semis and finals. Again i came down to math, as the recap was all over the place. In fact, on finals night, the only sheet you knew the result for was percussion as Cadets snares #### out their feature pretty hard core..

IMO, the biggest problem in judging in any way? usually only drums and guard have the balls to throw out spreads. Everyone else keeps it tight so they don't get yelled at.

• Like 2

Obviously, Crown is following the Cadet's recipe for winning their first championship. When the Cadet's won in 1983, the percussion placed 5th. When the won the next year, the percussion was 7th. They won because they put their effort into the brass and visual. This is the same as Crown today. Unfortunately, times have changed and championship design today must be more integrated. And IMO no matter how much they clean the drum book this year it will not help. These are design decisions they have made that cannot be undone easily.

It would also seem as though Crown is losing ground in GE Visual. As GE is worth "more" on the sheets than percussion, I would think if they can maximize GE Vis. they may be able to overcompensate for their weaker percussion caption.

It would also seem as though Crown is losing ground in GE Visual. As GE is worth "more" on the sheets than percussion, I would think if they can maximize GE Vis. they may be able to overcompensate for their weaker percussion caption.

I'm not even sure they can stay ahead of Cadets and SCV in GE Vis.