Field Judges "in the way"

Is it better (from a judging perspective) for a performer to run 'em over or move out of the way (potentially moving out of the drill form)?

NEVER move out of the way. Deviating from pathway could lead to even more problems visually: from drill dirty to possible collision from member-member. The thing to do is ask a judge to move and go about how you've rehearsed.

I personally think its time for the judges to be on the sidelines and in the box up top rather than on the field.

In related news I also believe its time for the judges to be home on their couch since their scoring can now obviously be done from there and seeing and hearing the show makes no difference now in their scores as slotting . (Saves on travel expenses too) lol

Decades ago, poor executing drum lines were hidden by guard and horn lines. Today's designers can really keep a judge away from a poor percussion section if they wanted too. Larger guards to run interference.

And, in the days of yore, some parts of a drill was designed to trap the unwary judge... forcing them to run out and around the guard to avoid getting smacked by a fast moving pole. hehe!

Judges are treated as part of the field basically for performers. You don't change your path or anything for a judge, you just run them over if they are in the way. If you see you're going to hit them, you can yell at them and hopefully they move but if not you hit them. Judges don't take off for those hits but changing your route for a judge will look like an error on your part which is why you don't do it.

Judges know to stay out of the way as much as possible but sometimes they just end up in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Btw, crashing down with a bass doesn't hurt that bad really. I've done it a couple times lol

agreed....field judges do their best to stay out of the way, and if a collission happens, they don't feel good about it, and even try to seek the performer out to apologize.

Now, some get a little carried away out there, and sometimes to get from A to B, your movements do end up being a little demonstrative. Ifthe kids see you in the way, they'll yell,and hopefully you can hear them. I know on the field if I saw a no win situation for me, I've warned kids.

Honestly though...with major shows being in a dome, you move the drum judge upstairs and you won't hear ####.

• Like 2

Wasn't it Charlie Poole that got knocked down really hard a few years ago? Judges gotta learn and especially if they are doing first reads for corps x.

Yup, Uncasville, Ct. show at St. Bernard H.S. field. He got pretty bloodied too but not as bad as the judge on L.I. who got with the sabre across the top of his head when he ran into the guard guy who missed his toss. A Quebec corps from St. Jerome, Que at the L.I. Kingsmen show at K.ings Park H.S.

As a former indoor percussion judge, I find it absolutely unnecessary. It's simply an old intimidation thing, and needs to be retired. I know for a fact that any of those guys could properly judge from 4 or 40 rows up. They aren't seeing anything more by being that close; in fact, they miss most of the pit most of the time. I can sit in row 1, or stand on the sideline, and get it right. Just stay away from the amps, and watch. If that means you get right up to the sideline, fine. However, this isn't the standstill-70's, and there ain't no ticks.

If WGI can do it, so can DCI. I hope they change it before someone seriously injures a kid and affects an outcome.

• Like 2

As a former indoor percussion judge, I find it absolutely unnecessary. It's simply an old intimidation thing, and needs to be retired. I know for a fact that any of those guys could properly judge from 4 or 40 rows up. They aren't seeing anything more by being that close; in fact, they miss most of the pit most of the time. I can sit in row 1, or stand on the sideline, and get it right. Just stay away from the amps, and watch. If that means you get right up to the sideline, fine. However, this isn't the standstill-70's, and there ain't no ticks.

If WGI can do it, so can DCI. I hope they change it before someone seriously injures a kid and affects an outcome.

In fact, the current DCI rule book allows the field percussion book to pick an appropriate spot provided that the judge is also sampling all elements of the section. They just seem to be out on the field because they have always done it that way.

Do you all remember the Atlanta dome show several years back when the rain and lightning forced Carolina Crown off the field three times because the percussion judge couldn't decipher the drumming from the raindrops on the roof? That's the show where the roof caved in on section 321 once Crown did finally get to do their show.

Decades ago, poor executing drum lines were hidden by guard and horn lines. Today's designers can really keep a judge away from a poor percussion section if they wanted too. Larger guards to run interference.

If you subscribe to Fan Network, just for the heck of it, watch the field percussion judge in a show with any of the World Class Corps. Its amazing these judges havn't been injured more often. Its a fast dodge and weave, backwards, forwards, sideways, you name it, for them throughout most of the show. They are constantly looking forward, back, over their shoulder, and literally running for their life. You couldn't pay me enough to be a field percussion judge. Forget that.

Edited by BRASSO

Except that you're not having to listen over brass in WGI.