If BD Wins, We Riot!

Actually...i'm less disdainful of this years show than any since 07, because I like the Rite of Spring, and the original source stuff from Sebelsky.

But...the way it's presented just leaves me flat. Yeah they are clean as hell. We can debate the various reasons for that in other threads.

As such, I'm not a music major, so I don't really know the background on Rite. I do know the music...drum corps introduced me to it. But i've never had the time and desire to go find out what stravinsky was thinking when he wrote it.

And believe it or not, a lot of people world wide aren't familiar with him. You've proved what many are saying.....that drum corps has become this place where you have to be a music major to know this stuff. I can guarantee you many fans won't know it's the same guy that did Firebird. I know many drum corps fans that only hear classical music when they go to drum corps shows. I always found it hysterical that my dad's fave was Phantom, and I can guarantee you all he ever had on at home was the Stones and Pink Floyd.

god almighty, you really are the MASTER OF MORPH, as someone has previously pointed out.

good for you. many other PAYING customers don't.

DCI's not really in a place where it can keep seeing fans ###### off and walking away

Well, if you get your way ... you'll probably lose this fan. It is the variety of styles and approaches that draw me to the activity. If every corps were marching the type of shows you like (I'm still not sure which ones those are as you spend most of the time here complaining, rather than praising), i would be bored to tears. Anyone who stops being a drum corps fan because they dislike one corps's style isn't really a drum corps fan, in my opinion. We all have shows we dislike. Stop with the histrionics regarding BD. They are master marchers and musicians and usually deserve to win when they do. You don't have to like them, but stop pretending like they are the downfall of DCI. That is utter bullcrap.

So very untrue. That just shows a disconnect between what you think and what I think.

There is no way to know for sure, but I am very confident that that is the case.

god almighty, you really are the MASTER OF MORPH, as someone has previously pointed out.

thanks for trolling along. if you have a point, feel free to make it. or just keep amusing me

• Like 2

No, there are certainly a good number of fans that think this way. I have no idea if it's a majority, but they are certainly out there.

Oh, I know, but "jas" said it like it was THE reason people don't like the BD and that BD could swap shows with Cadets' and people would still not like them.

That's just lunacy! Those people are sad, but that's got to be a minority, not THE reason for the dislike of the shows.

I mean, I have my favorite corps, and they lay design eggs sometimes. When they do, I don't just like the show because they're BD, Cadets, Crown, Cavaliers, Boston, et cetera... So I'm not going to hate a corps just because they're who they are.

Well, if you get your way ... you'll probably lose this fan. It is the variety of styles and approaches that draw me to the activity. If every corps were marching the type of shows you like (I'm still not sure which ones those are as you spend most of the time here complaining, rather than praising), i would be bored to tears. Anyone who stops being a drum corps fan because they dislike one corps's style isn't really a drum corps fan, in my opinion. We all have shows we dislike. Stop with the histrionics regarding BD. They are master marchers and musicians and usually deserve to win when they do. You don't have to like them, but stop pretending like they are the downfall of DCI. That is utter bullcrap.

if you get your way....you'll lose a lot more.

perhaps you should read some reviews. I find lost to praise. I even said in the Atlanta thread after watching everyone, even the dreaded DCA corps, I found an overwhelming majority of them worthwhile.

actually three of the ones I liked least were at the top.

and they aren't alone in causing DCI problems, but they sure drive the bus.

I'm trying to remember the times I heard the champion booed before their streak...hmm....um....well....no that was the crowd booing Madisons score. heathens...how dare they do that to the other 11 corps full of kids out there.

do I want tympani back? No hell no.

I'm not asking for a return to 1970. Why is it crps can be "artisitic" AND entertaining, and not require a libretto...and people love them...and yet others insist upon that type of design, and when people complain, we're being insulted that we're too lazy to learn?

trust me, I could come on here all day and school you all on the finer points of the mortgage business, the stock market and more...and you wouldn't give two #####. Well, many fans don't care about the stuff they're told they have to research to get a show and enjoy it.

See.....not everyone wants to go to a drum corps show to be educated. Some people just want plain old fun, music they can hum and maybe some cool drill that doesn't involve stripper poles. Though, if the guard used em more that way, I can see fan appreciation going up.

It's not being lazy or stupid......it's seeking ENTERTAINMENT. Having a dissertation on a topic as part of a show isn't entertaining to everyone. My best friend has two masters, a doctorate and reads more books in a month than I read in a year, and I read a lot of books on a variety of topics. His first viewing of BD last year was hysterical. He sat, watched...asked me what it was about, so I told him and logged on here to where the BD crowd was proclaiming the genius behind all of the finer points of the super dooper sophisticated show.

His exact response: " You know, some people are so full of ####, they'll believe anything. that show was boring, full of contrived intellectual dog ####. if I wrote a paper on that stuff for school and used the video to demonstrate it, I'd get thrown out."

so, yeah, even "smart people", which apparently to you I'm not...found it not entertaining and to be full of faux intelligencia.

No one has said you have to learn anything. If you want to just sit and mindlessly watch a bunch of people blast horns, have fun. There are plenty of loud moments in all of the shows (including bd's). What I don't get is your suggestion that shows that make you think and want to learn more are somehow bad for the activity. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

AMEN!!!! brother, couldn't be said better.

No one has said you have to learn anything. If you want to just sit and mindlessly watch a bunch of people blast horns, have fun. There are plenty of loud moments in all of the shows (including bd's). What I don't get is your suggestion that shows that make you think and want to learn more are somehow bad for the activity. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

i'll try and make it more clear for you.

people just want to be entertained, not educated. is that a bad thing?

( I know I said this before, but I just said it again).

but with shows designed as they are.....if you don't get it, it leaves you feeling blah. Bored.Lost. Looking at your phone. reading the program.

• Like 1

then they should stop charging fans for what they call ENTERTAINMENT.

there's a reason why symphonies and the likes are hurting for money....fewer people find it entertaining. of course you'll just call them lazy and say they want everything dumbed down

So should we get rid of symphonies too ... or should Symphonies just all start playing pops? I don't get your point at all.

As has been stated (and should be too obvious to even be questioned), money is an important aspect of DCI. DCI needs financial support to facilitate its educational mission. That doesn't make the mission money (or your entertainment). DCI is a non-profit organization. They are not in the business of making a profit by entertaining fans. The shows are the fundraisers that allow the educational mission to be accomplished. Dumbing down the shows by taking out the "art" and playing to the lowest common denominator defeats the entire purpose of the activity, which is not to provide you with entertainment.