If BD Wins, We Riot!

Jasgre, I know maybe you were away for a bit, but are you really going to go back are reply directly to every post you disagree with over the past 10 pages? Because most of the things you are arguing against (and your responses to them) are the same thing over and over again, and in many cases, have been covered, and moved on from....

Honestly curious :lookaround:/>

I might. :tongue:

Are you suggesting that DCI has gotten smaller because of show designs? Should we go back to the days of symmetrical drill, high mark times, and marching timpanis? That was when drum corps was at its biggest, right? That would certainly take a lot of the "art" out of the activity, which I'm sure you would appreciate.

do I want tympani back? No hell no.

I'm not asking for a return to 1970. Why is it crps can be "artisitic" AND entertaining, and not require a libretto...and people love them...and yet others insist upon that type of design, and when people complain, we're being insulted that we're too lazy to learn?

trust me, I could come on here all day and school you all on the finer points of the mortgage business, the stock market and more...and you wouldn't give two #####. Well, many fans don't care about the stuff they're told they have to research to get a show and enjoy it.

See.....not everyone wants to go to a drum corps show to be educated. Some people just want plain old fun, music they can hum and maybe some cool drill that doesn't involve stripper poles. Though, if the guard used em more that way, I can see fan appreciation going up.

It's not being lazy or stupid......it's seeking ENTERTAINMENT. Having a dissertation on a topic as part of a show isn't entertaining to everyone. My best friend has two masters, a doctorate and reads more books in a month than I read in a year, and I read a lot of books on a variety of topics. His first viewing of BD last year was hysterical. He sat, watched...asked me what it was about, so I told him and logged on here to where the BD crowd was proclaiming the genius behind all of the finer points of the super dooper sophisticated show.

His exact response: " You know, some people are so full of ####, they'll believe anything. that show was boring, full of contrived intellectual dog ####. if I wrote a paper on that stuff for school and used the video to demonstrate it, I'd get thrown out."

so, yeah, even "smart people", which apparently to you I'm not...found it not entertaining and to be full of faux intelligencia.

• Like 1

Complete nonsense. It is first and foremost a NON-PROFIT EDUCATIONAL institution. DCI is not in the business of making money. Making money is a secondary necessity. The educational experience should always come first. Putting money first defeats the entire purpose.

then they should stop charging fans for what they call ENTERTAINMENT.

there's a reason why symphonies and the likes are hurting for money....fewer people find it entertaining. of course you'll just call them lazy and say they want everything dumbed down

• Like 1

What type of show do you think will attract all the kids? And what exactly are these kids you hear making fun of?

do you think kids walk around all day whistling Rite? Einstein? most of the stuff you hear?

after watching 23 corps over 2 days last year, you know what got the best crowd reaction from kids...Surf's closer.

• Like 2

Jeff Ream, on 30 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said: " But I'm more vested in the activity than many people sitting in the stands."

hmmmm......inquiring minds want to know, how's that?????

oh you'd love to know

:ph34r:/>

do you think kids walk around all day whistling Rite? Einstein? most of the stuff you hear?

after watching 23 corps over 2 days last year, you know what got the best crowd reaction from kids...Surf's closer.

That and surprisingly the end of Cavies show, when they added the dubstep dance break. That got a lot of attention from the kids

SOME people are booing for the reason you've given.

I think most fans are booing ( well, those that ARE booing are doing so ) because they're tired of the show designs; mostly their quality...

:withstupid:/>

It is a terrible thing that someone might learn something they didn't know? God forbid that one has to tax one's brain!!!

God forbid they just want to go have fun and not want to think

• Like 1

A completely subjective judgment not shared by all. I think their shows are very soulful and expressive.

I don't think they're always soulful and expressive in the same way you think of them; I remember watching "The Beat My Heart Skipped" early season, and it felt like a compulsory. I've grown to enjoy it a little more now; it is after all technically done well. I never really want to go back and watch that show again. Same thing for many of their recent shows. I USED to want to hear their stuff again. So sad. Glad you're happy with it.

I find it sad fans have to spend hours researching shows so they understand what the hell they are seeing. I guess in your opinion, Madison, Crossmen et all that I mentioned are dumbed down eh?

You don't have to research anything to enjoy it, although doing some background research could probably enhance all of the shows. I am seriously dumbfounded as to why people hate this years BD show. I am convinced it is BD hatred, and not the show ... because they show is freakin' amazing and quite engaging.

When you say you need to do research to understand BD's show, do you mean that you don't understand Rite of Spring? Because Rite of Spring is one of the most influential and well known pieces of the 20th century. I sure hope drum corps audiences aren't unfamiliar with Stravinsky. If you can't understand Stravinsky then I think it is time to move on.