If BD Wins, We Riot!

SOME people are booing for the reason you've given.

I think most fans are booing ( well, those that ARE booing are doing so ) because they're tired of the show designs; mostly their quality...

So in your view they are booing the corps. Others here claim they are booing the judges, but we know that is just a coverup to make them feel better. They are booing the corps; I agree. Where we disagree is that IMO it is in very poor taste.

Well Crown certainly has gone more BD-like than ever... Cadets are using some elements as well with staging in the visual. The montage/mashup/chop-and-bop is pretty popular now, though it's more "montage" or "mashup" ( I mean "layering" LOL) this year Lots of other corps take bits and pieces of their style too to some degree and LESS expertly than BD as well. I'm sure there are tons of HS marching bands around the country that try to take parts of the BD design and incorporate it into their shows...

Look what happened circa 1985. Everybody started moving a LOT faster, and for most, it was hopeless. They saw who won ('83 '84) and copied it. The problem was that Garfield had begun that style in 1982 and took two whole seasons to arrive at their 1984 marching style. Hopkins was actually chastised by the last DCI Director because the smaller corps were all falling over themselves copying Garfield's style. Nobody told them to do that. DEMAND and EXPOSURE were emphasized more then (while BD was whining about "the performance of the performer").

As M. Cesario plainly said, you don't COPY state-of-the-art; you REPLY to it. What's hip; what's hot; what's (ahem) winning? BD is merely following the sheets, and for that, they've had three undefeated seasons (two in a friggin' ROW!). Obviously, they're beatable this year simply because EFFECT will come into play. At certain shows, Crown and Cadets are clearly ahead there. I know, it's only 20%, but percussion is 10% (see 2008). Oops. We might be saying "Percussion is only 10% (see 2013)."

do I want tympani back? No hell no.

I'm not asking for a return to 1970. Why is it crps can be "artisitic" AND entertaining, and not require a libretto...and people love them...and yet others insist upon that type of design, and when people complain, we're being insulted that we're too lazy to learn?

At least one corps passed out a libretto in 1971, before DCI even existed.

What is wrong with variety? Must every corps create shows exactly the same way?

See.....not everyone wants to go to a drum corps show to be educated. Some people just want plain old fun, music they can hum and maybe some cool drill that doesn't involve stripper poles. Though, if the guard used em more that way, I can see fan appreciation going up.

There is room for all types of shows, from BD to Surf. You don't like BD? It is 10 minutes of time, and then the next group comes on the field. Why must every corps create the same type of shows every year?

Even in shows I don't particularly care for overall, I can find elements to enjoy.

Not enjoying a show certainly doesn't give me license to boo the results.

The show I like best is not the winning show, in many cases. BK was not going to win DCI last year, but that show became one of my favorites of this century.

It's not being lazy or stupid......it's seeking ENTERTAINMENT. Having a dissertation on a topic as part of a show isn't entertaining to everyone. My best friend has two masters, a doctorate and reads more books in a month than I read in a year, and I read a lot of books on a variety of topics. His first viewing of BD last year was hysterical. He sat, watched...asked me what it was about, so I told him and logged on here to where the BD crowd was proclaiming the genius behind all of the finer points of the super dooper sophisticated show.

His exact response: " You know, some people are so full of ####, they'll believe anything. that show was boring, full of contrived intellectual dog ####. if I wrote a paper on that stuff for school and used the video to demonstrate it, I'd get thrown out."

so, yeah, even "smart people", which apparently to you I'm not...found it not entertaining and to be full of faux intelligencia.

That was his opinion, and he was absolutely entitled to it. It was 'right' for him, because it was his honest opinion. Others felt differently.

Again...there is room for variety, and I hope it says that way.

If Crown and BD swapped shows, no one would know the difference and people would still be booing BD when they win. It has nothing to do with the shows and everything to do with the uniforms the corps are wearing.

You are 100% wrong. 90% of the audience doesn't care how many times BD has won. They're there to be entertained. If BD put on an entertaining show, they'd get the love for it. If they put a show out there that the audience could tell was the best show, they'd get love for it. They choose not to do so.

• Like 2

I will be at Finals, and I will applaud BD, whether they win, or lose. Why? Because i happened to march in a corps that often played to half-empty stands, and even though it never affected me personally when I performed, I always told myself that I would support all corps, no matter what. That not only means corps like the Blue Saints, but corps like the Blue Devils. I'll probably be that guy who sits and watches all the shows at Prelims.

Why boo the corps itself?

No one has booed the corps itself.

Complete nonsense. It is first and foremost a NON-PROFIT EDUCATIONAL institution. DCI is not in the business of making money. Making money is a secondary necessity. The educational experience should always come first. Putting money first defeats the entire purpose.

"Non-profit" doesn't mean you can't make money. "Non-profit" just means you have to spend all the money you make on your mission, you can't give it to your investors.

Making money is the number one priority of all of these groups. Without money, they would not exist. The first thing any new drum corps has to do is decide how to start raising money. To do otherwise would be outrageously irresponsible. The groups that have survived this far, by definition, put money first.

No one disputes that. That doesn't mean money and ticket sales are the most important and primary focus of drum corps, as Jeff proclaimed. Don't you find it interesting that the corps that everyone here seems to hate so much seems to be the most financially stable corps in the activity? How does that work?

Blue Devils operates an incredibly profitable bingo operation. That's how it works.

but with shows designed as they are.....if you don't get it, it leaves you feeling blah. Bored.Lost. Looking at your phone. reading the program.

I believe I do get BD's show and it leaves me feeling blah. I will admit that I do generally love the "horns blasting at me" that jasgre2000 denigrates, but BD's show proves that just playing loud is actually not enough to be thrilling. So kudos to the other 22 World Class corps for managing to pull it off! :thumbup:

It's the show design, jasgre2000. I started the season enjoying their show, but the thing that got me are my friends, who have no vested interest in ANY corps, let alone hating on BD just because they're BD... They were weirded out by the show, which I get. They're not corps people... The thing they point out to me was that the pit and electronics just got louder and louder from the middle of the show until the end of the show...

Heh, at the Murfreesboro show, my 11-year-old daughter (historically a huge HUGE Crown fan) told me after Crown performed that she was really disappointed because they had dropped into her 2nd level of drum corps badness. The first level being any show with a bunch of props. The second level was a show with narration. (The third level was a show with a bunch of props AND narration.)

Immediately after Blue Devils performed she told me "I think I'm going to have to add a fourth level--for when the electronics completely cover up the music from the field"... and it was pretty bad. In the huge jazz blast section when the brass is all in a block on the left side, the synth bass was so loud, you couldn't hear the brass at all.