West Chester Festers

Cadets had a major problem in their show last night. It is a miracle that they were able to recover and lay down a pretty good show. In a strange way, it was an example of how talented this corps is. A lesser corps may have completely fallen apart past the point of recovery.

What was that major problem though?

What was that major problem though?

Cadets with their varying tempos on different sides of the field sometimes with huge towers dividing them have to be honed in 150% otherwise disaster. Last night a side by side tear in the ensemble. I'm absolutely sure the staff will review what happened and correct it. It's a perfect example of how underscored Cadets are in content with the demands of the show. Great runs NOT rewarded and tears Penalized (and rightfully so).

Can their brass line play incredibly loud; sure can. But for my taste, once you get past the loud brass line, not a huge amount of depth. In my opinion, not the strongest design from Crown this year. Minimal amount of playing demand on the move; considerable amount of WGI influence. Which seems to be what the judging community is looking for. More WGI stuff and less demand. Oh well, just my opinions.

Perhaps you weren't watching the part where the brass are all playing cross-directional sixteenth-note runs while rotating lines through each other at Cadets-speed? Or most of the closer? I would agree that Cadets' brass plays more this year, and have a very challenging book as well, but I honestly don't see any of the top three shows as having low demand this year in any way.

• Like 2

Cadets with their varying tempos on different sides of the field sometimes with huge towers dividing them have to be honed in 150% otherwise disaster. Last night a side by side tear in the ensemble. I'm absolutely sure the staff will review what happened and correct it. It's a perfect example of how underscored Cadets are in content with the demands of the show. Great runs NOT rewarded and tears Penalized (and rightfully so).

You are 100% correct. The Cadets should have been penalized, as I'm sure they were; however, they are not being rewarded for their demand, as usual!

Ensemble tear = what we called phasing in my marching bands = parts of the ensemble getting out of sync with each other.

What a nightmare! Has this ever happened before this close to finals?

There was definitely a tear... it was noticeable.

But honestly, I wouldn't put it in the "major disaster" category. It wasn't a long-lasting train wreck, by any means.

However... I know that at this point in the season, at the level the Cadets are at, even a small "event" is not a good thing.

• Like 1

Madison has been in the mid 80s for quite some time. Are they not improving?

They've peaked, and Cavies show with more depth and demand continues to improve and has passed them up, as was predicted by many posters on DCP earlier in the season. It's as simple as that.

• Like 2

What a nightmare! Has this ever happened before this close to finals?

I'm sure it's happened AT finals.

It was a major problem - especially when you are being adjudicated.........and at a home show.

The tears with Cadets were more than a little bit. As far as Crown only able to play loud - not close to being true. Articulation alone was at a much higher performance level than anything else at the show. Allentown is going to be interesting. If they, Crown"",are on all 12 cylinders in Allentown - WOW!!

As far as not understanding the Crown show concept........."Side by side" is a bit of a stretch as well - especially when you look at it from a third person point of view -

I really feel construction is the issue and having time to clean. .

I have a relation in Cadets as do a lot of our friends - I just think Crown may beat BD at their own game. I really think they, Cadets, have more issues than performance. I think the changes they did are effective but they have to stop changing and really clean it plus by doing will allow the kids to be confident on/of the show.

It would be great see the Cadets bring it home this year. I really think two, and maybe a third, corps would have to not be in attendance at championships for that to happen. Nothing wrong with that -

Every fan of each corps will not get the full concept of the opposing corps it seems. I always find this true at West Chester each year - ha!