BD and Crown have done it well

One of my favorite Phantom shows is 05's "Rhapsody". TOTALLY out of the box for them.

Would you agree that corps that step outside the box, such as Troopers or Phantom are the exception? Do we not fully expect to see Phantom doing something classical next year, or Trooper something western-ish or Spirit something along the lines of Southern jazz? I do. If Spirit came out next year with a revisited version of Spartacus I would be shocked.

I actually think the Blue Devils have about the most distinctive style of any corps out there. For me, it is much more about the arranging, visual design, overall flow of the show... than simply the content or source material for the show. Both the Blue Devils 2013 and 2011 shows couldn't scream "Blue Devils" more to me, yet no one would ever confuse Stravinsky and Burt Bacharach.

This goes for many other corps as well, when Phantom did their 2005 show, it still seemed very similar in style to the others years around it, just with a lighter tone. Crown is the same way, but probably to a lesser extent than others.

• Like 1

I'm just saying if SOA came out and did a Les Mis show, I think people would be like, what are they doing. If Troopers did a Jazz show I don't think it would be received well, not that they would. But, I'm just saying that BD and Crown really don't have a label associated with them and they can come out and do almost whatever they want and pull it off easier than others can.

Didn't Spirit come out and do just that in 1988 and 1989? Petrouchka and Interstellar Suite? I remember enjoying the Petrouchka show very much.

Your opiniion. Others will disagree. It's that variety that makes drum corps interesting.

variety line one corps going from 'I've Got Rhythm' to Stan Kenton to Burt Bacharach to music from the film THE ARTIST to Stravinsky in the span of four years?

One of my favorite Phantom shows is 05's "Rhapsody". TOTALLY out of the box for them.

While I loved that show, I thought it was a modern take on some of the things they did in the past.

I actually think the Blue Devils have about the most distinctive style of any corps out there. For me, it is much more about the arranging, visual design, overall flow of the show... than simply the content or source material for the show. Both the Blue Devils 2013 and 2011 shows couldn't scream "Blue Devils" more to me, yet no one would ever confuse Stravinsky and Burt Bacharach.

This goes for many other corps as well, when Phantom did their 2005 show, it still seemed very similar in style to the others years around it, just with a lighter tone. Crown is the same way, but probably to a lesser extent than others.

I agree. The corps identity is a factor of more than just repertoire selection, but a combination of many factors. For the Blue Devils, I think what they're doing this year is right in line with their shows from 2007 to the present season. What BD has done in this time span is different from BD in 2001-2006 and BD in the 90s.

The Troopers one year played " Aquarius " ( from the Stage and movie production of " Hair ". a musical homage to the 60's Hippies Generation. )

Do Hippies and western prairie style Troopers go naturally together in your view ?

The Troopers played " Acquarius ". As a central musical piece no less.. their concert piece. The audiences from coast to coast by and larged loved it. The Troopers made Finals.

Audiences can deal with the unexpected. Its all in the presentation.

Do you disagree with everything someone posts? Saying Troopers played Acquarius ONE year is not at all the point of the original post. The point is that BD and Crown, imho, are not locked into a certain style...Rach Star, the Copeland now this in 2013. Who knows next year? The observation I made is those two corps have done well in not being tied into a certain genre or time period when it comes to their shows. If you disagree that BD and Crown do not do it well that's fine with me. I happen to think they do. I also noticed a post you made in the Troopers thread talking about how they needed to get back to their style because in previous they have gotten away from it or something along those line. I agree, and thanks for helping make my point.

*Edit, actually you posted this Brasso:

"The Troopers are uniquely positioned to pull of themes that other Corps would have supreme challenges with. Its much easier for The Troopers for example to do an Americana, early West motif themed show than ( say )Phantom Regiment, Boston Crusaders, Cavaliers, Crossmen, Spirit of Atlanta, Mandarins, etc. Additionally, there are mountains of music that would fit their ethos, style, etc. They might have logistical issues perhaps in recruitment, but there seems no excuse that in the future that The Troopers can't find a show theme, music that'll work for them in this day and age. All they need is the right desiign staff with the creative acumen to make such appropriate themes work for them, thats all. Those themes, music are out there for the taking... and the Troopers are the appropriate Corps to pull it off too, imo. I think Smith has the creative ideas in his head to bring this to fruition too, but we'll just have to see. This post has been edited by BRASSO: 06 September 2012 - 12:25 PM"

Why is it easier for the Troopers to pull off an Americana, early west motif than Phantom or Boston, Cavies, SOA, Mandarins?

Edited by JKT90

Didn't Spirit come out and do just that in 1988 and 1989? Petrouchka and Interstellar Suite? I remember enjoying the Petrouchka show very much.

I liked '89, 9 basses with rear view mirrors on them and the first few basses had that smaller drum on top. Cheesy unis though.