My Heart, My Battle, My Soul

OC and Academy have been neck and neck all along and a thread just got started for Academy/Piano Man so I figured what the heck, it's late in the season, someone needs to start a show thread for OC!

I recently saw a field view video of the show taken by an alum who walked around and shot different views from a ground perspective. The best part of it was when he went around back and filmed the parade coming toward him, happening in back of the show, simultaneously with the ballad. There is a sousaphone even, a coffin, everyone is strutting. Anyone know that they are playing "Saints Go Marching In"? I knew they were playing something but I never realized it was that. They even sing it after they stop playing.

It's a true Ives moment. Love it. If people aren't seeing/hearing that, it should be known!

Edited by luv4corps

The best part of it was when he went around back and filmed the parade coming toward him, happening in back of the show, simultaneously with the ballad. There is a sousaphone even, a coffin, everyone is strutting. Anyone know that they are playing "Saints Go Marching In"? I knew they were playing something but I never realized it was that. They even sing it after they stop playing.

It's a true Ives moment. Love it. If people aren't seeing/hearing that, it should be known!

One of my favorite parts of this show!

• Like 1

This is a really well written show. The Crusaders have done a great job in transitioning into World Class. I have seen this show three times now, and it has really grown on me. There are a lot of layers that I missed the first couple of times. I just love the parade in the back field, during the ballad, it really make an interesting mix of elements going on at the same time. They are neck and neck with Academy, but I think the Crusaders will continue to pull ahead of them. The Crusaders show has grown on my, whereas the Academy show has not. I’m not saying that I don’t enjoy Academy, it just has not drawn me in the way the Crusaders have.

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed their performance in San Antonio but did not like the danceUtard uniforms. I had no idea they had done that until they came on the field that day. I am of the thought that their traditional green uniforms are some of the sharpest in DCI. Does anyone know if they plan to keep up the WGI-ish costumes or if they might go back to their traditional classy look?

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed their performance in San Antonio but did not like the dance 0 tard uniforms. I had no idea they had done that until they came on the field that day. I am of the thought that their traditional green uniforms are some of the sharpest in DCI. Does anyone know if they plan to keep up the WGI-ish costumes or if they might go back to their traditional classy look?

The "unis" have been, I think, a distraction for a show that is as of yet underappreciated IMO. Hopefully they'll continue to build on their momentum and the show will gain many more fans. I am about 95% sure the unis are for this show only but I can't say for certain. The problem is the flesh tone top layer... gives the illusion of an off the shoulder look... not what they were going for... especially for the fellas.... I don't think.

The show is also more serious than people think it is. I heard someone describe it as "cheeky" recently. I don't think that is what they're going for either. The kids have to bring the emotion so that people will understand the depth of the show.

Saw the high cam stream of San Antonio, so I had to look on the internet and see what it was I was looking at. I don't mind the uniforms at all - DCI performers tend to gravitate to a similar body type, so more form-fitting uniforms make sense. (I thought the old Glassmen uniforms with the hip triangles made them all look like they had the figures of professional dancers.)

Overall, it's a fairly sophisticated show, written right in their wheelhouse of ability, I think. I enjoyed it when I saw it, and I think that if they can get even more on top of it, even for one show, a few corps above them could be surprised.

Mike

It won't hurt to have two O.C. threads, but there was one already, though it's been languishing since June 30.

(If only there were some easy way to find all this year's show threads.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

• Like 1

I reached my seat at Erie just as they started, having not seen the show previously. One of my first thoughts was, "Man, that's a long show title for the announcer to read!" It's like the title to an eighteenth-century novel: "The Oregon Crusaders are proud to present their 2013 program, 'My Heart, My Battle, My Soul: A Story of Love and Loss in the Journey to Understanding'".

It won't hurt to have two O.C. threads, but there was one already, though it's been languishing since June 30.

(If only there were some easy way to find all this year's show threads.)

It must have come and gone in a jiffy... I've been looking for it!

Edited by luv4corps