DCI Applications you have wanted

Speaking of Fan Network App, I see that FN uses Brightcove, could't you make an app that uses the Brightcove Video Cloud Player SDK for iOS or the Brightcove Video Cloud Player SDK for Android?

I see for both platforms it would be limited for commercial use, but if you had the rights, this would hopefully work great!

Here is an example for use with iOS: http://support.brightcove.com/en/video-cloud/docs/sample-application-example-iphone-video-portal

I'm in town for tonight's show. I've got some time to see rehearsals. Where are the corps practicing?

A geo-location app that pulls together, into a single map, the housing/practice sites of all the corps participating in a particular event.

A "fan's-choice" app that uses online-polling tools (frequently used at business conferences, etc.), and lets fans who are in the seats or watching via FN to rate the corps after each one concludes its performance. Built with filters to prevent ballot-box stuffing. The effect would be similar to quarterfinals and semifinals: An updated list of rankings would be generated after each corps' performance, based on the rankings of people using the app. Users can vote using the app or using a Twitter hashtag.

• Like 3

I'm in town for tonight's show. I've got some time to see rehearsals. Where are the corps practicing?

A geo-location app that pulls together, into a single map, the housing/practice sites of all the corps participating in a particular event.

To build on this. A community based navigation app for the lot. How many times have you been in the lot watching group x warming up and wondered where group y was at? If you're in the lot watching group x, you can tag where the group is and others can look at the map and see precisely where they're at. Since Allentown is this weekend, groups warm up in the park, across the street in residential neighborhoods, in business parking lots. If I'm looking for a particular group, I spend way too much time walking around and most times can't find them. Also, it would answer the question "Is group x here yet?"

• Like 5

To build on this. A community based navigation app for the lot. How many times have you been in the lot watching group x warming up and wondered where group y was at? If you're in the lot watching group x, you can tag where the group is and others can look at the map and see precisely where they're at. Since Allentown is this weekend, groups warm up in the park, across the street in residential neighborhoods, in business parking lots. If I'm looking for a particular group, I spend way too much time walking around and most times can't find them. Also, it would answer the question "Is group x here yet?"

That would be cool.

A "fan's-choice" app that uses online-polling tools (frequently used at business conferences, etc.), and lets fans who are in the seats or watching via FN to rate the corps after each one concludes its performance. Built with filters to prevent ballot-box stuffing. The effect would be similar to quarterfinals and semifinals: An updated list of rankings would be generated after each corps' performance, based on the rankings of people using the app. Users can vote using the app or using a Twitter hashtag.

tumblr_mqvgrrxKev1s8spxvo1_400.giftumblr_mqvgrrxKev1s8spxvo2_250.gif

I really like where that kind of idea could go

I have some free time and need a project to work on so I was thinking of building something for the community. Is there any web/app ideas you have wished you could have for drum corps? I can't guarantee I can get to it, but I have some time to kill before I get more work for my current job

hit me up on github @ justinsoliz when you get something going, I'd love to contribute.

I think this also raises a broader question in that I'm sure there are plenty of ageouts who have since gone into software development.

What can we do as ageouts to start churning out more open source apps for the community?

I think a good start might be an official github organization for dci, drumcorps or something along those lines...

edit: Right after I posted this I realized a better starting place might be replacing the crap version of the dci website they have right now. At minimal, something far more presentable on mobile/tablet devices would be nice.

Edited by newterak
  • Like 1

Something simple: let me import a particular Corps show schedule to my phone or desktop calendar.

How about one that points me to the nearest restroom?

For iPhone : Restroom/bathroom/toilet Finder

For Android: Find Toilets

Both great apps especially for locations you are unfamiliar!