DCI Applications you have wanted

hit me up on github @ justinsoliz when you get something going, I'd love to contribute.

I think this also raises a broader question in that I'm sure there are plenty of ageouts who have since gone into software development.

What can we do as ageouts to start churning out more open source apps for the community?

I think a good start might be an official github organization for dci, drumcorps or something along those lines...

^THIS. There are so many age-outs who have gone on to do many different things and I think there are plenty of us who can contribute based on our skills now.

Something simple: let me import a particular Corps show schedule to my phone or desktop calendar.

A lot of corps, like Crown, use Google Calendar. A single click will add it to your own Google calendar, which can be viewed on your computer and phone. You can then toggle it on and off as you like.

edit: you said show schedule. I see that now. There would have to be a show schedule database to pull from.

edit again: do you mean daily schedule?

another edit: how many times can I edit this?

yet another edit: there doesn't seem to be a limit

Edited by Dash Fieldpaint
  • Like 1

A lot of corps, like Crown, use Google Calendar. A single click will add it to your own Google calendar, which can be viewed on your computer and phone. You can then toggle it on and off as you like.

edit: you said show schedule. I see that now. There would have to be a show schedule database to pull from.

edit again: do you mean daily schedule?

another edit: how many times can I edit this?

yet another edit: there doesn't seem to be a limit

Just the dates of the shows they are in. I don't want to have to use another calendar app to view it, but have it merged in with the calendar (iPhone or Outlook) I already use.

Just the dates of the shows they are in. I don't want to have to use another calendar app to view it, but have it merged in with the calendar (iPhone or Outlook) I already use.

That info is on the DCI website. I'm sure there could be a way for an app to pull it off of there. Maybe? I'm no software developer.

How about an official DCP Calendar app? Just a blank screen. tongue.gif

How about an app that lets you veto a George Hopkins show idea?

As far as a scoring app, be aware of the great Blue Knights Current Standings page, which lets you get pretty granular:

http://www.bknights....s/standings.asp

So far I like the chat-during-shows app idea best. It could include a scoring feature that lets users score the show in each caption! Why not? It's just for fun after all. Add some fun captions too, like Plume Length and Degree of Hearing Damage. For the fangirls you could include an Is Dean Patterson On The Podium caption (a boolean).

There could be a thumb dial that users turn to express their enjoyment at every moment during a performance. The aggregate graph of this data is displayed above the dial in real time. Alternatively, a "Cool!" button that allows users to press whenever they are impressed by something. That data would be displayed somehow.