Has the single-site Finals idea worked?

For me, Indy is just too expensive and inconvenient to get to. I've been to finals there twice, once as part of a huge family driving trip and once via air travel. I don't like the indoor venue, but that's life now I guess. I wonder if moving it every 3-4 years out of Indy would be a welcome change? Something like this:

3 years in Indy, then finals at a Cali venue

3 years in Indy, then finals in Denver (Sports Authority Field - outdoors!)

3 years in Indy, then finals at an East Coast venue

If it were predictable and the venues were always known, I could see something like this working. (at least from a fan perspective)

For me, Indy is just too expensive and inconvenient to get to. I've been to finals there twice, once as part of a huge family driving trip and once via air travel. I don't like the indoor venue, but that's life now I guess. I wonder if moving it every 3-4 years out of Indy would be a welcome change? Something like this:

3 years in Indy, then finals at a Cali venue

3 years in Indy, then finals in Denver (Sports Authority Field - outdoors!)

3 years in Indy, then finals at an East Coast venue

If it were predictable and the venues were always known, I could see something like this working. (at least from a fan perspective)

Terri,

So far, I like your suggestion the best. On the other hand, none of the events below move around to different locations . . .

Indy 500

Kentucky Derby

The Masters

Little League World Series

and the list goes on . .

Curious, isn't it?

Edited by Fred Windish

Indoors? Really? Its really a joke. Is it anymore obvious how confused this organization is? They mic pits which are the closest thing to the audience...stick the marching band indoors....that's always a great combo to listen to....hornline and drum lines are dancing Matildas and even narration is used to confuse not assist the understanding of some big life lesson about a math equation...a circle...as if I want to sit and learn about something so irrelevant....like trig. I use trig everyday. Or is indoors a testament to you can't hear the horn line anymore? Oh....the weather. Yeah...no drum and bugle corps or audience hasn't been rained on. Its so awful. That awesome .metropolis if Indy is so compelling too. What a great place to visit every year. Like my colon exam. Thus message is brought to you by bell yeah everything was better back in the day that's why we ##### so much.

• Like 1

alumniof -

I agree with several of your observations! The flaws you point out are the EXACT reason I enjoy the show so much better on Pay-per-View and DVD. Try it, it works! The activity has now moved to productions that hold up better (in MY mind) someplace different than a football stadium. I'm considered a fool for believing that, but hey, I'll do my thing, others can do their thing. Over the course of my life, I've attended hundreds of drum corps events in person. Now, I do something differently.

Terri,

So far, I like your suggestion the best. On the other hand, none of the events below move around to different locations . . .

Indy 500

Kentucky Derby

The Masters

Little League World Series

and the list goes on . .

Curious, isn't it?

Raise your hand if you've ever attended any of these.

It's not fair to name the Indy 500 and Kentucky Derby because the location is endemic to the event. Many local people go to them because it is THEIR event. Add in the Masters and those three are part of a SERIES of events. There are dozens of golf tournaments every year and The Masters is just one of them. The US Open Golf Tournament does move around every year and many find the changing conditions from location to location to be challenging. Also, local golf fans are thrilled when the U.S. Open Golf Tournament comes nearby and they can attend it.

There's no way to say that staying in one place is the best solution for an event or that moving around is the best solution. There are so many factors involved.

I've attended Comic-con in San Diego 13 years in a row despite it being across the country. Whenever there is talk of moving it, I scream "no" because going to lovely 73-degree San Diego in the dog days of Summer is part of the pleasure of going the event. It's a great location.

Whether the location has hurt is really an area that DCI should do some marketing research using a reputable firm to execute the research.

• Like 1

barigirl78,

I've attended all of them! Been to San Diego, too!

Your statement "There's no way to say that staying in one place is the best solution for an event or that moving around is the best solution. There are so many factors involved." is correct. Hopefully, Hoosiers will begin to attend DCI in greater numbers as their event, too!

Id be curious to see finals attendance from other venues. Madison, Atlanta, Rose Bowl...etc. 17,000 people at the premier event in DCI seems kind of sad.

Id be curious to see finals attendance from other venues. Madison, Atlanta, Rose Bowl...etc. 17,000 people at the premier event in DCI seems kind of sad.

Pasadena and Denver were the largest finals audiences in recent memory. The numbers in the OP are the same as what I've seen elsewhere.

I'd love for finals to come back west, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

The numbers, though, only tell part of the story. That's why market research is necessary. You need to ask people who don't go why they don't and people who do go why they do.

For the people who aren't going, you need to ask them what you could change to make them want to go. Maybe there's nothing you can do different and maybe there is something you can do.

Personally, I'm flying to Indianapolis tomorrow. My primary reason for going is to provide moral support for the Crossmen as they battle to get into Finals. If it wasn't for that, I would probably not go. I fully acknowledge that this is not the reason most people are attending, but it would be interesting to know how many people attend because they are fans or supporters of a specific corps as opposed to the event as a whole.

Different people have different motivations for what they do and what they don't do.