Fan Network 2013 Semi-Finals

Wow. I must be behind the times. Didn't even know there was a tie breaker rule. Glad they changed it back. Two winners is never a bad thing in my eyes.

I believe the tie-breaker was whomever won the GE caption. If that ended up tied, then I think they just went down the list of captions, or got everyone together in a tug-of-war for the trophy.

Do I think they could win a championship? Yes. However, I don't believe that this is the year that they should win

Crown should have won last year. SCV should win this year. (If I ruled the world! But I don't.)

• Like 1

I actually think it'd be very fitting, since the two shows are both so incredible but so utterly different. This is the kind of situation where, in judged competitions that aren't explicitly scored (like a concerto competition or something), ties are totally justified.

Yes! While I was extremely happy with the corps that jumped up and tied (Phantom in 96, SCV in 99, Cavaliers in 00), at the time I was not happy about with the actual ties: especially in 2000 when it was the 3rd time in five seasons. But this year, I would be 100% satisfied with a tie, and I suspect many others would as well. With these corps duking it out all season, and almost as equal as two Championship caliber corps have ever been, a tie would feel just fine!

On the flip side, whichever corps does win (if there is no tie), it most assuredly will feel like a hard fought, deserving win unlike most Championships. I'm in no way slighting any previous Champion who also earned it: some of the closer wins, or the come-from-behind wins, and really ALL Champs are deserving. But I can't imagine the pure elation and sense of relief + accomplishment that either BD or Crown members will feel after tomorrow night. Both corps will wake up tomorrow and know that victory is in their grasp, will wake up insanely motivated to squeeze every last tenth out of their run, will be hyped knowing they're so close to winning, etc. This isn't a corps motivated to come from behind or make a last second surge. These are two corps who have spent the summer trading wins & competing, probably waiting for scores to be announced not really having a clue if they won or not. Most years Finals winner is very easy to predict, but this year more than any other year we'll wake up Saturday morning not having a CLUE who will win when it's all said and done!

What an incredible season!!!

• Like 1

I DO feel bad for the BD MM's. Its over. Crown will be declared DCI Champion Saturday nite. Since DCI went to the 2 Prelims format in 1984 ( 29 years ago ), no Corps that has won the Semi's by over half a point has ever failed to win the Title outright the following nite. I do think that that the lacklustre audience reaction from coast to coast ultimately did catch up to the BD's members here at the end of the season. Crown was invigorated at Championships by the crowds in Indy and it showed tonite. BD came out flat in the all important Semi's compared to Crown tonite, and that was all she wrote.

What does the semifinals score have to do with the finals score? The two scores are completely unrelated and not dependent on each other. Crown didn't suddenly get .5 better than BD after losing the night before. It all depends on who is judging.

No way am I going to read through all the madness on this thread, but this is all I'm going to say.

Forget the brass & perc spreads. Nola Jones gave out a 100 & 99 in GE Music rep tonight before the Blue Devils even took the field. I'm all for Crown winning, but by clearly sending a message with individual judging like that, I don't think Crown really wants to win like that. Tomorrow nobody can say anything about any perfect scores (full or subcaption) they might receive & earn, but tonight, going on 2nd to last? That's just not good judging.

I don't know, I can see that being the least divisive result, but maybe I'm naïve.

What would have been bad would have been a tie 'broken' by some arbitrary tie-breaker rule no one would respect. Thank God they abolished that idea.

Great observation! As much as I hated hearing a tie in 2000, it might've been even more infuriating to crown a Champion based on a seemingly random Caption win. Given the choices, I think I'm happier about a tie

• Like 1

It is certainly not out of the realm of possibilities. Both BD and Crown are very excellent corps, but it is clear that the fans want Crown to win, and DCI certainly knows it would benefit if Crown won. I'm not a fan or hater of BD or Crown, but I feel that the fans, and often the judges, are not able to remove themselves emotionally from their job. Judging, while subjective, is really about who does what best - not about what you like best. It seems to me that the Blue Devils are the superior performers, even if they are not a crowd favorite. Their show seems to have many layers while Crown's show is very transparent and does not have much depth. Do I enjoy watching Crown? Absolutely. Do I think they could win a championship? Yes. However, I don't believe that this is the year that they should win - not with this show. Recaps from tonight just feel a bit weird with some of the spreads, so I hope whoever truly performs best tomorrow night is awarded the gold.

Once the scores get to over 97 in the Semi's, the Fimals judges don't mess with the Semi's judges scores except around the edges. There is no way BD is making up this Semi deficit to Crown. Its Crown's to lose now. The only way they can lose this now is if they have a major tear in their show at some point on Saturday... and even that has not stopped previous Semi's winners from winning it at Finals the next nite. The Semi's winner always decides the winner, or at least the co winner. Crown won pretty comfortably tonite. BD could do phenomenally on Saturday, but it won't be enough, unless somehow we think that Crown is going to fall apart tonite, but thats not in the cards, imo.

That's completely wrong, they scored the exact same tonight as at Prelims, 19.8 for BD and 19.6 for Crown.

My bad! I was looking at the wrong caption! Sorry!

Check again. Crown got the same guard score as last night and got 2nd in guard.

I looked at the wrong caption. Sorry!

No way am I going to read through all the madness on this thread, but this is all I'm going to say.

Forget the brass & perc spreads. Nola Jones gave out a 100 & 99 in GE Music rep tonight before the Blue Devils even took the field. I'm all for Crown winning, but by clearly sending a message with individual judging like that, I don't think Crown really wants to win like that. Tomorrow nobody can say anything about any perfect scores (full or subcaption) they might receive & earn, but tonight, going on 2nd to last? That's just not good judging.

I think Devs got a perfect 20 in a caption or two in 2011 even though they went on 2nd to last. Judges see corps shows a lot over the course of a season, so sometimes they just know that a corps that goes on last will not have a chance of being better than the corps that went on second to last. It's rare, but it does happen on occasion.