Predictions for 2014

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. I can't believe I am already thinking about this. This is purely something to think about-- it'd be really dramatic from this past season!

1. Blue Devils- Blue Devils' highest score in their history playing a show with little or no gimmicks like 1930? Possibly a fan favorite? Actually rehearse like every other corp?

2. Carolina Crown

3. Bluecoats- Changes marching style and plays and amazing show? Third place brass and second place percussion?

4. The Cadets- Takes a completely different take from this year? The show will be easier but less effective? Maybe they will be the SCV of this year?

5. The Cavaliers- This year's show should attract stronger brass. Their show design will be fine.

6. Santa Clara Vanguard- Pays homage to one of their past musical show? Maybe it won't be as well received as it was in the 80s?

7. Boston Crusaders

8. Phantom Regiment- Their most talented brass head to Bluecoats? Show is kind of a miss?

9. Blue Stars- They have the talent, just need the show.

10. Blue Knights

11. Madison Scouts

12. The Troopers- Play another emotional show that the audience is really connected too.

13. Pacific Crest

14. Spirit of Atlanta

15. Oregon Crusaders

16. Crossmen

17. Mandarins

18. Colts

19. The Academy

20. The Pioneer

21. Cascades

22. Jersey Surf

Ain't no way in hell that's going to happen. There's no love lost between those two corps.

Gratz on the 4000ith post :thumbup:/>

Wow, cool. Probably means I should post less often then. Good thing it's the offseason now.

• Like 1

Because why not.

1. Vanguard. A lot of returning members. And we know they have the staff to make a championship show. Why not zoidberg? And why not now?

2. Crown. Kickin A and taking names. Makes a more balanced show featuring a pretty good drumline. Wont win percussion but wont be inthe 18s at finals.

3. BD. Comes out with a better show. I get the idea that they always come out and dominate after they lose, but im not convinced last years show for them was great anyway. They will try too hard to design their show.

4. Blooooooo. Please make a show that doesnt fizzle at the end. The first half of their last 4 shows have been GREAT the second half has been meh to me. Make a more full show and better drill and i see them pushing into 4th with another late season push.

5. Cadets. Somewhat inconsistent from season to season. I see them dropping to 5th but being tight with bloo.

6. Boston. Vouuuuuuuuuu will be the new chant. As TV takes over they jump back onto disc one with a more abstract show than their previous years. But not BK abstract.

7. Phantom Rrrrregiment. Struggles to move on without Dean. Percussion doesnt get any better.

8. Madison. Because we all want it.

9. BK. Less abstract, more playing, fun show.

10. Cavies. I don't want to be mean but they need some help visually and musically in every way.

11. Blue Stars. Are back and not backing down.

12. Tie with spirit and troopers. Because why not.

Cadets with a first place percussion and second place brass this season will get a huge turnout for their 80th anniversary year next season. I think the design team knows they can't do stupid stuff like 12.25 or toy solder if they want to stay in top 3. I think the stupid days are over for them...good for us fans and alumni!,

I think even last year Leon took a lot of abuse on DCP. And this year, he gave them a much more achievable vehicle that did exactly what they needed it to do.

Crown should do whatever they think helps them long-term to build a percussion program to the same level as BD, Cadets, etc. I'll point out that at Cadets, it took McNutt 5 years as caption supervisor to get a win - but they obviously believed he was the right guy to take their program forward.

Agreed. You don't win championships by cherry picking staff every year. You need to build captions and that takes consistency although with the Cadets I think it's time to at least "add some newness to the mix" as far as their guard program. Talented kids but with the exception of 2011, they have been not a stellar caption and they used to be immaculate by finals for many years..

Cadets with a first place percussion and second place brass this season will get a huge turnout for their 80th anniversary year next season. I think the design team knows they can't do stupid stuff like 12.25 or toy solder if they want to stay in top 3. I think the stupid days are over for them...good for us fans and alumni!,

Ah, i dont follow the cadets, so i didnt know that it is an anniversary year for them.

That being said, yes their percussion did get first (and i dont see that really dropping off) if you look at their brass score (or the brass score of the top 4, notably SCV) the difference maker was content not really achievement. So im interested in how SCV v cadets goes down next season given the reasonable idea on my part that shaw will come out with a more difficult book for their brass next season. Cadets have little room to improve musically, what they need to do is improve visually. Looking at the recaps cadets and scv were tied if you remove GE wigh cadets as far behind scv in visual as scv was in music.

The pattern for cadets silly-serious-silly-serious shows does make me laugh.

I wonder if we can get a history of how well anniversary shows end up doing, at least relative to the previous years. I have the impression that overall they don't pay off for the judges (but do for the fans and alum). Which is why i am hesitant to call for a scv 89 tribute show this year.

But in the end these rankings are more wishful thinking than any serious predictions. Im not going to lie, im not the biggest fan of the cadets shows overall. So an anniversary show may simply fall flat to me anyhow.

So it goes.

And by no means do i want any corps to put out a show i dont really like. I just know it happens every year. It just tends to be bd, cavies, and cadets that make shows im not super enthused about recently. (Not every show, just more often than other corps though)

prediction- because we haven't already been saturated with stravinsky shows the past 2 seasons... phantom does a petrushka show. first petrushka show in dci since phantom did it in 2000 i think. (i know phantom and spirit did it before too)