The staff merrigoround

True, but It would be nice to be asked. His kids are grown and he did enjoy his short stint last summer. Just sayin'.

Warm comfy bed or cold gym floor even with an air mattress; great home-cooked Cajun meals or food-truck cuisine; studio with a/c or hot sweaty parking-lot sun all summer; already been there done that long ago when the passion of youth still seemed eternal; now with fifty year-old knees; things to contemplate; just sayin'

youre right about the agreement as well as wrong as holding a member..If a contract is signed and a director wants to bother to hold them legally to it ..they can and ive seen it done a few times in winter programs..many times they just forget it and glad to be rid of the dead beat kid ( talented or not )

its nice whe you see a director honor this ethic but many times it isnt , especially if the kid is very talented. unfortunately that person many times stiffs the new corps also...........or more frustrating they go to the BIGGER corps money in hand...hmmmmmmm............yeah sucks !

Holding a performer accountable for unpaid dues only yields a benefit if the director does not have to file charges and is able to 'scare' or 'guilt' the performer, or the performer's parents, into coughing up the dough. A judgement settlement from suing to get unpaid dues is far, far less than what the cost would be to hire an attorney, file a lawsuit, and go to court (unless the corps director has a legal staff doing things (pro-bono).

Phantom - Percussion. I have heard Rob Fergusion's name as a possibilty with no Glassmen

I'd kinda be for that one. He and Don have worked well together in the past. Plus, his percussion sections always did really well. Not to forget this year's center snare marched Glassmen (iirc) last year...so that would be a familiar relationship. It'd definitely be a Glassmen reunion with Jamey there and if the Emmerts were staying.

Why not John Wooton for PR? He's a Marty Hurley prodigee (sp?) and would be unbelievable.

And John was brought in last year (2011) just a few weeks before finals to help 'save' the line. He spent a week or so boosting their performance.

I'm not sure he'd be a good fit. Would he be able to compose at the level and writing necessary for this era of drum corps? I know he's an excellent professor and musician, but is he "with the times?"

Don't think it was 'entirely' due to percussion. While guard is excellent, they didn't have as much flag work this year to add to the G.E., and therefore not did place as high as usual imho. Too much dance, albeit beautiful!

While flag work would have added to GE, guard excellence seems to be tied more to performance qualities like emoting/projecting.

Warm comfy bed or cold gym floor even with an air mattress; great home-cooked Cajun meals or food-truck cuisine; studio with a/c or hot sweaty parking-lot sun all summer; already been there done that long ago when the passion of youth still seemed eternal; now with fifty year-old knees; things to contemplate; just sayin'

Only JW could answer those questions himself, if given the opportunity. I'm just saying he would be superb.

I'd kinda be for that one. He and Don have worked well together in the past. Plus, his percussion sections always did really well. Not to forget this year's center snare marched Glassmen (iirc) last year...so that would be a familiar relationship. It'd definitely be a Glassmen reunion with Jamey there and if the Emmerts were staying.

I'm not sure he'd be a good fit. Would he be able to compose at the level and writing necessary for this era of drum corps? I know he's an excellent professor and musician, but is he "with the times?"

While flag work would have added to GE, guard excellence seems to be tied more to performance qualities like emoting/projecting.

YES...and agreed!

I'm not sure he'd [John Wooton] be a good fit. Would he be able to compose at the level and writing necessary for this era of drum corps? I know he's an excellent professor and musician, but is he "with the times?"

Can Wooton relate to 'today' and is he 'with the times'? Hmmmmm.... a) Wooton is around the same age, with the same corps background, with the same percussion philosophy, as DCI 'Finals' judge Jeff Prosprie; and b) This 'only the youth have worth' mentality of today is a very dangerous and harmful cancer within our great and wonderful nation! There is very little respect anymore in this country for 'wisdom'; which can only be garnered though age. And if you disregard that wisdom of age now, I pray for your soul when you get to that age.

Can Wooton relate to 'today' and is he 'with the times'? Hmmmmm.... a) Wooton is around the same age, with the same corps background, with the same percussion philosophy, as DCI 'Finals' judge Jeff Prosprie; and b) This 'only the youth have worth' mentality of today is a very dangerous and harmful cancer within our great and wonderful nation! There is very little respect anymore in this country for 'wisdom'; which can only be garnered though age. And if you disregard that wisdom of age now, I pray for your soul when you get to that age.

I think you read too far into what I was saying. "With the times" meaning could he write something that succeed in today's drum corps world? It's not perjorative...just he's been out of the game for a while. How soon would he be able to get back in the groove?

• Like 1

I think you read too far into what I was saying. "With the times" meaning could he write something that succeed in today's drum corps world? It's not perjorative...just he's been out of the game for a while. How soon would he be able to get back in the groove?

Music composition/arranging is not a stagnate art form; and Wooton is not a fossil out of the game who fails to keep up with changing styles. Rennick, for example, marched with the 27th Lancers (and I think used matched grip) but his compositional/arranging skills have not stagnated; and I would say the same holds true for Wooton. Moreover, back in 2002 or 2003 the Devils line performed a clinic at PASIC; I distinctly remember Scott Johnson jokingly state in that clinic that he writes the general outline of the book then let's members of the line and the techs turn it into the cheese-fart-hybrid stuff. This shows that a good arranger can keep up with the times yet not spend the sixteen hours a day on a pad creating and perfecting the new upchuck-whang-a-doodle-jabba-da-hut (off the left).

What I find so funny/sad about Regiment's inconsistency is that several key members of Crown's current staff were at Phantom Regiment together and were let go after the 2001 season.

I've heard it was in part because Regiment started to sound less like Regiment and more like an eastern coast corps. I thought 2001 Regiment sounded like a young, unpolished Star of Indiana (the 2001 hornbook written by Klesch is way underrated).

Imagine what Regiment would be like today if they had retained that staff (Michael Klesch, Leon May, among others) and just let them do their thing.

I'm not privy enough about Phantom Regiment's internal workings to say that the corps is being managed poorly. They do field a full corps every summer and it sounds like their debt problems are behind them.

However....when will Phantom Regiment have its "dynasty"? If it's not visual problems, it's percussion. And now the horn line is placing in the middle of the pack?

I always thought brass (and in a previous decade, visual) was the strength of the corps.

I hope they get off of this need to tell a story and get back to putting the brass and music front and center.

Though to be fair...part of Phantom's inconsistency in the past came from them switching away from a style that was working for them.

• Like 1

What I find so funny/sad about Regiment's inconsistency is that several key members of Crown's current staff were at Phantom Regiment together and were let go after the 2001 season.

I've heard it was in part because Regiment started to sound less like Regiment and more like an eastern coast corps. I thought 2001 Regiment sounded like a young, unpolished Star of Indiana (the 2001 hornbook written by Klesch is way underrated).

Imagine what Regiment would be like today if they had retained that staff (Michael Klesch, Leon May, among others) and just let them do their thing.

I'm not privy enough about Phantom Regiment's internal workings to say that the corps is being managed poorly. They do field a full corps every summer and it sounds like their debt problems are behind them.

However....when will Phantom Regiment have its "dynasty"? If it's not visual problems, it's percussion. And now the horn line is placing in the middle of the pack?

I always thought brass (and in a previous decade, visual) was the strength of the corps.

I hope they get off of this need to tell a story and get back to putting the brass and music front and center.

Though to be fair...part of Phantom's inconsistency in the past came from them switching away from a style that was working for them.

If it's not one issue then it's another. It's like they're suffering from a somatoform disorder mixed with a healthy dose of Cub's Syndrome.