The staff merrigoround

Cavaliers plus Cavaliers brass was a major weakness.

That has historically been the case before 2000...

I hope the arranger changes.

• Like 1

That has historically been the case before 2000...

I hope the arranger changes.

Cavaliers' brass arranging this year was very good, particularly the stuff from Star Trek. I agree there's work to be done teaching the brass line itself, but the arranger isn't the issue.

• Like 2

Sorry skipped Spirit. Needs to upgrade drill designer, Colts need a music arranger that is more advanced.

Also skipped Crossmen. Thin music arrangements until last minute and a half. Really need a new drill designer.

Edited by drumguy50

Phantom needs a new percussion staff that understands the activity better. They also need a new brass arranger. Last couple of years have been no where near previous levels.

Crossmen and Spirit drills are sub par

Bluecoats need a visual coordinator. They are on the brink

Well they have what was the brass arranger for glassmen in 2011 if my memory serves me correctly.

Sorry skipped Spirit. Needs to upgrade drill designer, Colts need a music arranger that is more advanced.

So, Colts music arranger got his start writing for Madison in the late 70s/early 80s, then made Glassmen what they were... writing for Glassmen from the 80s through 2000 (when they mistakenly dumped the brass staff INSTEAD OF the visual staff), and has been writing for Colts since then.

Anyways, some of that late 90s Glassmen stuff (especially 97, 98, and 99) was absolutely spectacular. I don't think the Colts need a brass arranger who is more advanced, Chris does very VERY well for them.

• Like 1

If that is correct I am even more convinced. I did not think the music there was very well arranged in 11. Plus they at that time were not near being a top 5 corps.

Shaw went from phantom to SCV

Poulon went from scv to glassmen

And glassmen guy went from glassmen to phantom.

While phantom brass arrangements havent been up to par with the top 5, i am impressed with how they have been. Last year got 3rd with a new brass arranger. This year got 6th largely due to... entirely due to.... their percussion. There may come a day where the brass is the thing holding them back, but it is not this day. I wouldnt move to change unless you can really improve. Consistency is key. 2 years and a medal so far.

• Like 3

I'm not a huge phan of Phantom's arranging in 2012 and 2013... 2012 was a GREAT hornline, but a lot of the music was not that interesting without them playing the **** out of it.

Crown and Phantom should think about new drum staffs.

Bluecoats sound SO good, they just need a vehicle to max that out. New visual staff might help.

I would prefer if SCV got a new visual staff too (not drill writer of course) because I just hate that technique. I know I'm not alone!

• Like 3