The staff merrigoround

Ok, I'll give my two cents.

I think some corps need to take a lesson from the Blue Devils, and let a staff stick for a few years. At first, I can understand things being a little bit iffy, but give some a few years and they could solidify. I thought Crowns percussion took a step in the right direction this year, I thought they were miles ahead of 2012 personally. Maybe that's just me. I think Blue Stars got ahold of an amazing staff this year, and the show was A LOT better this year in terms of visual design, brass, and being able to follow it. It wasn't my favorite show from this year, not by a long shot, but I think that this staff, given a few years, will pump out some amazing products. Troopers, KEEP THEM. KEEP THEM PLEASE. If this year is any indicator, they have a perfect new staff to move them forward. Pacific Crest has had two VERY solid years, keep that going! Of course there are exceptions, in my opinion:

The Academy's design staff completely dropped the ball this year. I saw amazing talent performing a bad show. That can only take you so far.

Bluecoats Guard and Visual programs, have been ok, but keeping them from moving up. They sound freakin phenomenal. Get them marching well and to a good visual book, and hello top 3. Maybe some new voices in the design department as well, the vague deeper meaning shows were cool at first, getting kind of old, though this year was a step in the right direction. They have the talent to win.

Crossmen's visual program cost them their shot at staying in finals. The drill was BAD. Sorry. Everything else is in great shape.

I'll echo what I said about Bluecoats to Madison. Playing very well, but the visual program is not up to par.

Phantom has had three years with this percussion staff, and 2013 was the worst for them out of the three placement wise. I think that's a sign that this just is not going to work out. He does amazing stuff with indoor lines, but it's just not translating to the field marching very well, at all.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 7

I know Cadets have all the main players coming back for next year... Brass, Arranger, Drums & Drill.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, and say that the Top 4 from last year retain their design staff, and most of the instructional staff. Why mess with what seems to be working? Not like these Top 4 are flash in the pan corps, they're very good, and are consistently near the top.

1376513122[/url]' post='3312195']

I know Cadets have all the main players coming back for next year... Brass, Arranger, Drums & Drill.

i wonder what they will do about the guard?

While I have loved the fact that Spirit has made a major turn around and stayed true to their roots. I think they are ready for some new visual blood.

The music writing and musical performances have been excellent. The corps has also proved they can deliver when it comes to overall performance and

commanding an audience. The drill and guard are too dated to be competitive. I think both of those areas have grown a lot since a few years back, but haven't grown with the rest of the corps. Nothing against those people personally.

Edited by recketscience

Crossmen need to change percussion arrangers not drill designers.

Boston needs a new drill designer in a big way.

Academy needs to lose the entire design team.

Ok, I'll give my two cents.

I think some corps need to take a lesson from the Blue Devils, and let a staff stick for a few years. At first, I can understand things being a little bit iffy, but give some a few years and they could solidify. I thought Crowns percussion took a step in the right direction this year, I thought they were miles ahead of 2012 personally. Maybe that's just me. I think Blue Stars got ahold of an amazing staff this year, and the show was A LOT better this year in terms of visual design, brass, and being able to follow it. It wasn't my favorite show from this year, not by a long shot, but I think that this staff, given a few years, will pump out some amazing products. Troopers, KEEP THEM. KEEP THEM PLEASE. If this year is any indicator, they have a perfect new staff to move them forward. Pacific Crest has had two VERY solid years, keep that going! Of course there are exceptions, in my opinion:

The Academy's design staff completely dropped the ball this year. I saw amazing talent performing a bad show. That can only take you so far.

Bluecoats Guard and Visual programs, have been ok, but keeping them from moving up. They sound freakin phenomenal. Get them marching well and to a good visual book, and hello top 3. Maybe some new voices in the design department as well, the vague deeper meaning shows were cool at first, getting kind of old, though this year was a step in the right direction. They have the talent to win.

Crossmen's visual program cost them their shot at staying in finals. The drill was BAD. Sorry. Everything else is in great shape.

I'll echo what I said about Bluecoats to Madison. Playing very well, but the visual program is not up to par.

Phantom has had three years with this percussion staff, and 2013 was the worst for them out of the three placement wise. I think that's a sign that this just is not going to work out. He does amazing stuff with indoor lines, but it's just not translating to the field marching very well, at all.

• Like 1

i wonder what they will do about the guard?

hopefully keep them - young group and had a good season and learned I'm sure some lessons/experience -- ending up in 5th by finals... with experience they should move up to top 3 -- plus (I would imagine) no towers to tote around next summer - that certainly hurt the guard program/score IMO this past summer

they are a top indoor bunch that I think learned a lot about DCI this past year

Wasn't 2013 Year One for much of the guard staff?

yup - the old staff went to SCV which barely beat them at finals... give it another year and I think Cadets will be in great shape

as other are mentioning in this thread - stability is HUGE