The staff merrigoround

I believe Academy caption head Andre Feagin will not be returning next year, in order to run his own band at UTEP.

Would love to see him go back to SCV.

• Like 1

Would love to see him go back to SCV.

He was good there, but the new brass staff is really doing great things with them, and I doubt they'd want to switch brass staffs after only two years. (Again)

• Like 1

He was good there, but the new brass staff is really doing great things with them, and I doubt they'd want to switch brass staffs after only two years. (Again)

That's true enough. I just hope he stays in the activity, no matter where he goes. Watching him conduct warmup arcs is awesome. He's intense!

In regards to Cavies Brass I felt that during the Star Trek arrangements dramatic moments were missed utilizing the big tympani moments as in the original score. By the way tympani seems to be lost in alot of shows these days. Also I felt the ending needed at least 4 more counts,, kinda left you hanging. Big fan of the Cavies comeback, and they are on the right track, but the brass ran out of gas a bit, and as stated above dramatic moments were missed.

some corps don't even have a tympani anymore...

What I find so funny/sad about Regiment's inconsistency is that several key members of Crown's current staff were at Phantom Regiment together and were let go after the 2001 season.

I've heard it was in part because Regiment started to sound less like Regiment and more like an eastern coast corps. I thought 2001 Regiment sounded like a young, unpolished Star of Indiana (the 2001 hornbook written by Klesch is way underrated).

Imagine what Regiment would be like today if they had retained that staff (Michael Klesch, Leon May, among others) and just let them do their thing.

I'm not privy enough about Phantom Regiment's internal workings to say that the corps is being managed poorly. They do field a full corps every summer and it sounds like their debt problems are behind them.

However....when will Phantom Regiment have its "dynasty"? If it's not visual problems, it's percussion. And now the horn line is placing in the middle of the pack?

I always thought brass (and in a previous decade, visual) was the strength of the corps.

I hope they get off of this need to tell a story and get back to putting the brass and music front and center.

Though to be fair...part of Phantom's inconsistency in the past came from them switching away from a style that was working for them.

Just listened to the 2001 show again. I definitely hear what you are talking about. Wouldn't it have been interesting to see what that group would have done with PR given a few years.

But it ain't going to happen until a good staff is hired and then left alone to do their best work.

It has often been said that the sign of a good leader, boss, director or whatever you want to call him/her is one that seeks out the best in the business and then let's them do their best. It is no secret that an organization that is micro managed is one that is doomed and surely to fail. It's been seen too many times. In the case of PR, the sad truth is it's a sad situation of one insecure BIG ego getting in the way of something great happening with a great group of kids.

Edited by eric49
  • Like 1

Just listened to the 2001 show again. I definitely hear what you are talking about. Wouldn't it have been interesting to see what that group would have done with PR given a few years.

But it ain't going to happen until a good staff is hired and then left alone to do their best work.

It has often been said that the sign of a good leader, boss, director or whatever you want to call him/her is one that seeks out the best in the business and then let's them do their best. It is no secret that an organization that is micro managed is one that is doomed and surely to fail. It's been seen too many times. In the case of PR, the sad truth is it the sad situation of one insecure BIG ego getting in the way of something great happening with a great group of kids.

Amen.

Would love to see him come back home to Rockford.

Not a bad idea. Maybe he'll go back there after taking a year off. Would be interested to see his approach to brass playing at Regiment though. More symphonic sounds, little less truck horn.

• Like 3

It has often been said that the sign of a good leader, boss, director or whatever you want to call him/her is one that seeks out the best in the business and then let's them do their best.

In an interview I read some years ago the late Jerry Seawright made a remark to that effect about his staff at Blue Devils. The consistency of the staff at Concord is an one of the important reasons for their consistent success over the years.

Peace,

Fred O.