Post-Tour Depression

This is a semi-serious post, but how did you go about handling this, if you went through it?

:guinesssmilie::guinesssmilie::guinesssmilie:

:beer::beer::beer:

I'm going to the DCA Championships in Annapolis Maryland. Every corps last year gave me chills! And I didn't even see the top 5 due to the rain delay!

• Like 1

This is a serious post...I can relate because it hit me hard, and it's why I didn't march Star in 1991. I was afraid of going through it again post tour. The entire semester of college for me after tour was a wreck...I was put on academic probation and had a very difficult time adjusting to not being on tour. One day you are in your routine, the next, you are alone off tour with nothing to do. I had major anxiety, depression, and had no idea what to do with myself...I will admit that I have an addictive personality, so I am prone to taking one thing to an excess, which is what I did while on tour, but without something to replace it is a major big deal. I don't know how many others are this way, but it was a big deal for me. Honestly, it took me until November to feel normal, and then it was time for camp and I went, wasn't feeling it, went to Star, and I already have a post on here about my experience on Spirit v Star that year...honestly, the reason I didn't march was fear of not being able to deal with post tour as I did before, and the feeling of just now getting to feel like myself again...it was so bad for me I gave up an undefeated world championship for it (of course I didn't know that at the time, but even if I had, it wouldn't have changed anything). So, to answer your question, if you are anything like me, find the next thing to take monopolize your attention quickly..it's the only way you can put the tour down and move on.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Post age-out depression is worse than post tour, especially if you spent multiple summers marching.

• Like 4

finals on Saturday --> fly home on Sunday --> teach band camp on Monday

is the band you are teaching close to a corps at all? no... but it is your chance to help share knowledge and get the most out of a group of kids.

Difference is band camp was Sunday. I'm actually here right now. And I miss corps So much Because people caught on quicker. Aging out sucks lol.

2004 was my favorite year, because after championships we came back to CA and performed the Tour of Champions up the coast of California. It wasn't as rigorous, didn't require as much daily prep and so it helped ease out of tour a little bit before getting back to Concord. I took a year off after aging out in 05, but after I moved to San Diego started working with Esperanza since they were still around. I think the best way to get over the post-tour depression is to keep yourself on a daily routine of exercise, being with people, and continuing what you love to do (if it is music/marching, go volunteer with a local band to help them out!).

And yes, sitting outside eating peanut butter/jelly sandwiches is great. I still do that. Why the heck not?

My kids tell me: put Ranch dressing on everything.

I went in a completely different direction. Even though I started teaching more, I also got a horse on a whim (he was a yearling, and free) and ended up riding competitively. Did that for a couple of years. And I can tell you that waiting for the final jump-off at a National horse show has the same adrenaline rush as being on the starting line at DCI finals. It's just over quicker, and I didn't have to carry a set of tenors!

Oddly enough, it was the horse show tour that got me back into drum corps. I had been riding all over the Southern California circuit, then went on a three-week tour of Oklahoma City, Memphis and Nashville. When everyone else went home to SoCal, I stuck around in TN to meet up with VK to help volunteer and drive. I was offered a staff position the next year and got to be on the staff that took them from 33rd to finalist.

Oh, and I "retired" from the horse show circuit that last tour. I rode once more after DCI finals, at Santa Barbara, for the California Professional Horseman's Association's Championships. We won the Novice Jumper Class, and the horse was sold to the Japanese Olympic equestrian team.

Garry in Vegas

For the younger/single people on here, does anyone else just feel that after marching drum corps, the only person you could ever see yourself dating is someone who has marched? It sounds a little dumb that I would feel so selective, but at the same time I feel like I wouldn't want anyone who doesn't understand something that is one of the things that has made the largest impact on my life.

This is a semi-serious post, but how did you go about handling this, if you went through it?

Find others to shower with.

• Like 1