I'm Sorry, Blue Devils

Charlie, I was about to post similar thoughts to what Fred said, but he beat me to it.

I'm fine with shows that, if you view them multiple times, you "get" more of what they're trying to accomplish. But I think those same shows also need to be structured so a one-time viewer also can "get" them, without having to follow their progress at other shows, or by having to "educate" themselves by researching the source material.

Unfortunately for me, I only had a chance to see one DCI show in person this year, in West Chester, PA. (Not including the opening-weekend show in the movie theaters that I also viewed.)

Crown and Cadets at West Chester... I enjoyed the heck out of both those shows, without knowing much about the source material, the "intent" behind the show theme, and without having seen them several times. They were "face value" shows to me. Hats off to both those corps for designing their product in that fashion.

I think its hilarious the number of brain cells that went into creating some message for the audience to get and nobody is getting it....one viewing or ten viewings. If the designer took more than 15 minutes to design the concept....than it will take longer for your audience. Does anybody ever want to listen to anybody talk if you the listener have to work so hard to understand wtf they are saying? Performer.....news flash......you are supposed to communicate to your audience....that's your jib. Even Jesus knew thus which is why he spoke in parables.

• Like 1

That is true, and as Fran said, both Crown and Cadets did exactly that. We were at the same show, coincidentally.

Blue Devils I only saw online, but I enjoyed them in both 2012 and 2013, but I did not see them live, so it is hard to make a real assessment. Online they came across very well to me.

You didn't miss anything. Except the uncomfortable feeling of clapping or standing because nobody knew what to do when it was over but you did it because....well.....they are kids....they worked hard....but pfft.

If the designer took more than fifteen minutes to design the concept... than it will take longer for your audience.

So should the corps only rehearse their shows for fifteen minutes?

• Like 1

I thought their show was fine this year and pegged them to win after prelims and I would have been cool with that outcome. They had a lot more drill, the sort of visual I like, this year but I liked their music better last year. Their book got a bit dull about half way through and seemed repetitive towards the end. That drum set, synth, horns come in with the dat dat dah dat dat bit was a good grove – the highlight musically for me

I don’t get why people say it takes several viewings to get, it takes no more than most shows. I’m not confused by all the stuff going on, much of it is similar and more atmospheric / thematic than literal but I’ll confess I was confused by that red death clothe…at semi’s, the guard member looked lost and went back towards the pole forest and did some sort of dance thing and in finals, she appeared more stoic, stood there and held it…for an attention grabber, nothing was going on with it and I was waiting…

• Like 2

I would think the majority of modern DCI shows over the past decade are multi-layered to a large extent.

But I think there is a big difference between having a show that is immediately impactful and grabbing from the get go as opposed to something that is so abstract there is difficulty in engaging the audience from the outset. Nuance, by its sheer nature, will always enhance with repeated exposure. It's really what is at the core to supprt the nuance that matters. You can't sit there and say it doesn't matter, just look at crowd response to notable 'crowd favorite' DCI shows over the years.

I believe I read quote somewhere from one of the BD drum majors, along the lines that they are there to 'educate and entertain the crowd'

I really just want to be entertained for my $75 seat, thanks.

• Like 1

I would think the majority of modern DCI shows over the past decade are multi-layered to a large extent.

But I think there is a big difference between having a show that is immediately impactful and grabbing from the get go as opposed to something that is so abstract there is difficulty in engaging the audience from the outset. Nuance, by its sheer nature, will always enhance with repeated exposure. It's really what is at the core to supprt the nuance that matters. You can't sit there and say it doesn't matter, just look at crowd response to notable 'crowd favorite' DCI shows over the years.

I believe I read quote somewhere from one of the BD drum majors, along the lines that they are there to 'educate and entertain the crowd'

I really just want to be entertained for my $75 seat, thanks.

You already have plenty of entertainment for your $75 seat. At least I had a few corps like BD that entertained me in another way for my $75. I don't understand why people don't get that there is more than one type of drum corps fan. And I don't understand why there can't be a wide variety if choice without the same criticism day in and day out.

• Like 1

Just to set the record straight I was completely fulfilled for my $75 seat and had no problem ponying up for the event. Drum Corps is one of my top 3 favorite things ever.

I don't want want cookie-cutter shows; I love the individuality that is expressed by the individual corps. Guess I am just not a fan of what the Devils have been pushing for the past few years. This coming from someone who has been one of their biggest fans since the late 80's. It certainly hasn't hurt them competively, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Absolutely, N.E.Brigand!

I believe a segment of this activity could prosper in a big way if adapted to "hockey-sized" arenas.

I have been involved with performances with Corps playing in indoor hockey rinks, and in inside small arenas as well. On more than one occasion too.

Trust me when I tell you that the sound( and the overall experience itself ) for audiences and performers alike, positively blows.

Edited by BRASSO

Have to admit that some of the responses made me rethink my own posts on the facebook threads. There are many styles and Blue Devils are just one. They bore a lot of people. The thing is that they didn't used to. They used to pretty much excite almost everyone all of the time. Even other corps members couldn't wait to catch their show. Yet, there are all kinds of fans that want different things and enjoy each of them. In earnest though, a few of you tried to explain what you got from your viewing of the Devils and how you "got it:" in the first time you saw it, yet I couldn't follow your explanation of it and had to reread what you even said. That and I had even seen the Devils TWICE myself this year. I didn't hate the show. I think it is ahead of its time.

I don't think it's as black and white as you make it seem. I think there are some really great examples of shows that can both fully entertain a crowded stadium and also give something a little deeper to notice on repeated viewings/listenings. For example, 2010 Cavaliers - it brought the house down at Finals and throughout the whole year. But to those who give it repeated viewings, a whole new "world" opens up that isn't accessible with just one stadium viewing. I think a more recent example of this is The Cadets' Side By Side. I'm really looking forward to the DVD/CD release so I can give it the diligence the program deserves, but it was also a pretty big crowd pleaser.

I'm not sure why BD this year (and to a lesser extent in a few past years) has chosen to go so far to one side as to basically abandon a good chunk of people. Maybe they're trying to make statements, maybe they're trying to push barriers in the activity, maybe they're just bored and wanted to do something different - I doubt even BD's staff can pinpoint an exact reason. But I think we'll see BD return to its roots within the next 2-3 years.

they have pleased me immensely! I was very disappointed when I found out SCV was doing Les Mis. (I was wrong though) I really loved the productions those two corps have been doing recently. OK not EVERY year but a few each 6 years would please me greatly.

I am hoping BD does a 20 year throwback of the 94 show but with a twist of course. (otherwise they wouldn't do it) I would really like to see BD do a Zappa show but not his weird stuff rather the stuff he did that already sounds like a drum corps like Waka Jawaka and Grand Wazoo. (the latter being done by someone in 83 If memory serves correctly) Not sure but maybe it was Squires who did it? I swear I heard it at the Concord show then.