Let's pretend this happened.....what do you think would happen in

Yah, those old 90's Jim Prime Star of Indiana hornlines had gobs of volume but just horrible technique and tone... said nobody. Todays hornlines are amazing, but polite and *yawn*... give me G horns and VOLUME any day of the week.

• Like 5

This is the one-gazillionth "B-flat vs. G" thread on DCP.

It should win some sort of prize for that milestone. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Yah, those old 90's Jim Prime Star of Indiana hornlines had gobs of volume but just horrible technique and tone... said nobody. Todays hornlines are amazing, but polite and *yawn*... give me G horns and VOLUME any day of the week.

Now imagine those awesome 91 and 93 lines on a brand new set of current Yamahas. **drools**

• Like 3

Anyone complaining about lack of volume either didn't attend this year's finals or are in need of Bell Tones...and I believe

they do come in G.

Were you around in the eighties and nineties? Like....around drum and BUGLE corps....standing in front of them or a mile away? If not.....you wouldn't understand.

• Like 4

Interesting. I'm thinking they're blown away with the volume. Huh? You guys that posted before - are you from the G era or not? Be honest.

I'm from the " G " era and I'd want more than just " volume " to be impressed. The key a brass instrument is in doesn't in of itelf mean much to me. Although I do like the richer, deeper sounding soprano voice in a key of "G " than the more thinner, tinier sound ( for me anyway ) of the trumpet soprano voice in the bflat

As for " volume", if that is what you like the most, the most volume I 've ever heard have come out of Corps brass lines that have been played on the bflats, not the "G". I've not heard of any " G " Line louder in" volume" than recent Crown, BD, Phantom, Cadets bflat brass lines of late. Perhaps this is because of the larger lines of 72-80 brass players too, who knows. But " volume " has not been much of an issue for me so far. There's plenty of volume in todays brass lines.

Edited by BRASSO

While I must agree that the intonation today is far superior, I find it funny that people try and say today is as loud as BITD. Yea, it comes close but how many horns on the field today ( on average ) as compared to say, 1980 ?

While I must agree that the intonation today is far superior, I find it funny that people try and say today is as loud as BITD. Yea, it comes close but how many horns on the field today ( on average ) as compared to say, 1980 ?

I would like to hear one of todays top brass lines ( Crown lets say ) play on " G's " just for one day even, just to hear what it would sound like. We'd have 80 brass, and lots of talent behind those " G's " just to hear what it might sound like compared to the bflats.