Sad News from Music City

With Music City situation, that would be more than interesting to find out about the open class budget/Financial situation... That would require another heroic effort from Garfield...

One big problem with the current model is that unless a corps can establish revenue streams outside of normal corps' operations (auditions/dues/performance fees) they can't survive. They drown in debt, the costs are simply too great given the current way DCI corps do business. A startup or newer corps has a hard enough time just getting kids in the door, putting a competitive product on the field to further interest, etc that to try to also come up with additional revenue streams on top of that is nearly impossible. Successful corps that run bingo, ticket sales, sell merch at fall band shows, etc have to have a strong business plan and almost a whole other "revenue generating" operations plan and team seperate from the basic corps operation. Again- VERY difficult to do, almost impossible.

My advice to DCI as the governing body is figure out what an average member is willing and able to pay for a summer of touring and the "experience" as we know it. Then figure out what a 150 member corps can look to generate based on average audition and tour fees. Then create a structure for touring, event production, and framework for fielding a corps that would allow corps to break even through operations alone- not needing added revenue streams to get the corps through the summer without going bankrupt. Then put policies in place to structure the game so that corps can do it soley on operations. Budgeting grants/dontated money/etc is always risky because you can't count on it. Relying on the extra revenue from outside business ventures is also dangerous because if you loose that revenue (see Glassmen/bingo) you instantly go in the hole and drown. I believe corps must be able to break even based on their operations alone. Its DCI's job to structure things that allow them an even playing field to do this, from a business perspective.

Not sure what that would entail... spending caps? Limit staffing? Make the tour more efficient and cap weekly mileage? Somehow we need to get back to a simpler and more cost efficient way of doing business while still providing the high quality product. Difficult, but not impossible.

Edited by funkjazzaxe

That's a fair number in Open Class. Most of the kids are younger. I think in my two years in Open Class, my corps had a grand total of 6 age-outs?

Out of 150 that's pretty darn amazing to me...and--again--sad that the experience could not come back and help the organization continue to grow.

I commented earlier how disappointing it must be for these kids who marched. But I did forget to mention that the plus side of all this is that at least Music City didn't go out on the road next without enough money to finish the season. They didn't get stranded somewhere, or have to quit early. To their credit, they saw there might be issues, and called the 2014 season off well before the first audition camps of any other corps. In this activity, one of the worst things that can happen to a marching member, is to audition for a corps, make the corps, and have something happen either before the season starts, or after the season starts, and not be able to find another corps to march if the want to. I remember when Teal folded mid season, a bunch of their members went to Glassmen, Colts and other corps. However, sometimes options are not available that close to the end of the season. At least Music City saw there could be some issues arising, and made the decision extremely early. And while it doesn't look like they will be fielding any corps in the future, maybe someone else might step in and help revive the corps? But much better to call it now, than in April or May, or half way through the season while on the road.

• Like 2

Out of 150 that's pretty darn amazing to me...and--again--sad that the experience could not come back and help the organization continue to grow.

Yeah, but it's not rare in Open Class. Most corps will age-out between 5 and 10 members a year, even the bigger ones. Most of the Open Class corps are seen as a training ground or a springboard up to the World Class corps, so kids start there in high school to move up in college. Since it's also less intensive, it attracts younger members who can't make the commitment of World Class touring. I started in Open Class at 16, and there was a fair number of kids younger than me in that corps, but very few over the age of 19. Most of us were high school kids.

I commented earlier how disappointing it must be for these kids who marched. But I did forget to mention that the plus side of all this is that at least Music City didn't go out on the road next without enough money to finish the season. They didn't get stranded somewhere, or have to quit early. To their credit, they saw there might be issues, and called the 2014 season off well before the first audition camps of any other corps. In this activity, one of the worst things that can happen to a marching member, is to audition for a corps, make the corps, and have something happen either before the season starts, or after the season starts, and not be able to find another corps to march if the want to. I remember when Teal folded mid season, a bunch of their members went to Glassmen, Colts and other corps. However, sometimes options are not available that close to the end of the season. At least Music City saw there could be some issues arising, and made the decision extremely early. And while it doesn't look like they will be fielding any corps in the future, maybe someone else might step in and help revive the corps? But much better to call it now, than in April or May, or half way through the season while on the road.

That is a good point. They pulled the plug before they absolutely had to, so they didn't get stranded somewhere with no place for the kids to go. As sad as this is, it is the better option, since now everyone can go audition somewhere else instead of losing a season.

That is a good point. They pulled the plug before they absolutely had to, so they didn't get stranded somewhere with no place for the kids to go. As sad as this is, it is the better option, since now everyone can go audition somewhere else instead of losing a season.

I agree with you and MisterA 100%. Kudos to the management for real outlook for the kids. It's a shame it happened but at least they faced reality soon enough. As we have seen in the past, too many people try to keep going when they refuse to admit they can't.

I hope all those kids can find a place to march next year.

I read some of your recent posts. You seem like a know it all who attacks peoples opinions that dont agree with you. Ask any kid in hs band if hecwould rather tour and see crown cadets bd phantom scv or empire reading minnesota.....id argue they would prefer world class dci then dc whatever. Kids want their level to see and compete.... Not some all age that they never heard of or saw on tv and is not even close to dci caliber. What dca corps would make finals. None.

no he's actually telling the truth

1376751691[/url]' post='3313762']

??? I think there are more members under 21 in DCA than there are over 21. Have you ever been to DCA?

Doesnt change my point. Find 3, 10, 20, a million kids.....ask the question......would you prefer to march DCA or DCI? Do you want to go to the Oscars or a wax museum. Do you want to go to an NFL game this weekend or an intramural game at the HS. Seriously....be real. Or take the poll. DCA is Jan Brady, Buzz Aldrich, Joe Biden, Chloe Kardashian and DCI is Marcia, Neil, Obama, Kim.