Sad News from Music City

1376764947[/url]' post='3313856']

Really? You really want me to trot out the résumé ? Fine.

Yes, marched several years in DCA. Taught a couple as well. But before that I marched for six years in DCI, and taught DCI corps for many years. I've been actively involved in the activity, on both sided, since the early 1980's. I've taught many highly competitive marching bands, several of which are nationally recognized programs. My former students have gone on to march in almost every corps in DCI World Class, and several DCA corps as well. Some of them used DCA corps as training for DCI, and some returned to DCA after years in DCi.

So yes, I'd like to think I'm a bit of an authority on this subject. It's not a matter of DCI or bust. Kids may choose to march in DCA for more reasons than there are neurons in your brain.

You can take all the stupid informal polls you want. I actually KNOW what kids want to do and why.

And yes, DCA is a very viable option for corps that just can't afford to tour nationally.

There is no doubt you would like to feel like an authority. Just take the poll. And thanks for revealing you know what you are saying is bees wax when you said DCA was an option. Aka alternative. Define HUGE crowd that is going to be at the metropolis that is Scranton High School stadium for DCI Option I.

Here's the statement from Music City Director Keith Hall for any interested. This was posted over in Open Class land.

Hello drum corps fans! This is Keith Hall, executive director of Music City Drum and Bugle Corps. The announcement concerning the folding of Music City can be found HERE.

After reading some of the posts on a couple of threads here I thought I should offer the following. It is very expensive to operate a drum corps. Music City received a couple of small grants this year and a smaller amount in appearance fees. The corps' expenses not covered by these and the membership fees were covered by a VERY small circle of individuals. Music City has no debts. We tried to time the announcement the best we could for the sake of the members. By the way, I'm the same Keith Hall as The Band Hall which provided all uniforms, flags/guard equipment for the corps.

On a sidenote, I do not think the open class system is serving the activity well. Certainly the elite corps should receive tons more compensation and receive far more performance opportunities, but the current arrangement is not going to grow the activity. I would like to add that I believe Dan Acheson is providing the best possible leadership for the activity. He has a great vision for the future of drum corps. His hands are unfortunately tied it seems by the unfortunate need to "get along" with certain others. The unflattering posts I've seen here regarding Dan Acheson are unfortunate and uninformed I believe.

I invite everyone to support the corps or corps (plural!) of your choice. Make a donation, buy a t-shirt or best of all, help them raise money, LOTS of money. Today would be good!

1376769492[/url]' post='3313898']

Here's the statement from Music City Director Keith Hall for any interested. This was posted over in Open Class land.

Hello drum corps fans! This is Keith Hall, executive director of Music City Drum and Bugle Corps. The announcement concerning the folding of Music City can be found HERE.

After reading some of the posts on a couple of threads here I thought I should offer the following. It is very expensive to operate a drum corps. Music City received a couple of small grants this year and a smaller amount in appearance fees. The corps' expenses not covered by these and the membership fees were covered by a VERY small circle of individuals. Music City has no debts. We tried to time the announcement the best we could for the sake of the members. By the way, I'm the same Keith Hall as The Band Hall which provided all uniforms, flags/guard equipment for the corps.

On a sidenote, I do not think the open class system is serving the activity well. Certainly the elite corps should receive tons more compensation and receive far more performance opportunities, but the current arrangement is not going to grow the activity. I would like to add that I believe Dan Acheson is providing the best possible leadership for the activity. He has a great vision for the future of drum corps. His hands are unfortunately tied it seems by the unfortunate need to "get along" with certain others. The unflattering posts I've seen here regarding Dan Acheson are unfortunate and uninformed I believe.

I invite everyone to support the corps or corps (plural!) of your choice. Make a donation, buy a t-shirt or best of all, help them raise money, LOTS of money. Today would be good!

Ahh, a successful business man doesn't believe DCI can grow and politics are getting in the way. No offense to career musicians, directors, etc, but DCI needs to be run like a business and that requires having someone with successful business experience helping it to grow.

1376769492[/url]' post='3313898']

Wow. I actually know Keith personally, lost touch and had no idea this was his gig. To his points.....guess we all arent stupid here on DCP. The structurevfor Open Class isnt working he says. Has that not been the hot topic here this week and ideas to fix it? Id love to hear his idea how to fix it.

• Like 1

Guys, be careful thrown the G7 moniker around. At least two of those corps are ardent supporters of Open Class, and bend over backwards to accommodate and advocate for the corps in the class. Sometimes we tend to lump everything we think is wrong with the activity into a nice bucket of blame aimed at all of those seven corps, when its pretty obvious they don't all agree on certain subjects.

We also need to remember that changes to Open Class have met the voting approval of the directors of the class as well. It's not like the DCI board is making all the decisions.

• Like 2

Guys, be careful thrown the G7 moniker around. At least two of those corps are ardent supporters of Open Class, and bend over backwards to accommodate and advocate for the corps in the class.

Nope; this is incorrect. If you read the G7 proposal, the two G7 corps you are referencing (Gibbs at BD, and Fiedler at SCV) wanted DCI to continue to support 'their own' feeder corps while tossing all other OC corps completely out of DCI support.

• Like 6

Guys, be careful thrown the G7 moniker around. At least two of those corps are ardent supporters of Open Class, and bend over backwards to accommodate and advocate for the corps in the class. Sometimes we tend to lump everything we think is wrong with the activity into a nice bucket of blame aimed at all of those seven corps, when its pretty obvious they don't all agree on certain subjects.

We also need to remember that changes to Open Class have met the voting approval of the directors of the class as well. It's not like the DCI board is making all the decisions.

and to add to it. I would love to know all those who throw the g7 thing around...have they bought a ticket ot an OC show lately......Ive 1st hand seen the low and sometimes dreary attendence at an OC show or even the beginning of a WC show......................if OC was bringingn in some big bucks in attendence there would be no denying them......BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>that doesnt happen AT ALL...Ive said it for years to even many friends....stop moaning about how little the WC corps care about OC and buy a ticket......put your money where your big mouth is..... :smile:

So, Dan, are you doing anything to support DLB, even simply backing its concept?

The concept does have potential. The stuff around finals week outside (not so much the stuff at the shows) was cool and did draw a crowd. Could be cool to expand that more.

I do think that for Drumline Battle to really take off, it needs to have regions and leagues and rankings and so on. It should have virtual (winter) and live (summer) seasons.

I don't really think that SoundSport has the same kind of potential. Drums are just more accessible for a general audience and translates better to a reduced form. Brass needs numbers and volume to impress to the general public.