stop the corps folding

Its all about managing money. Below I have provided the most recent available documents regarding finances of the majority of this years World Class corps.

Looks like Crown spent $300,000 more on its drum corps operations in 2012 than in 2011, an increase of 30%. Those cubes must've been expensive!

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Geez. I never said that. I said they're parallels. Got it? :blink:/>

There's no question that drum corps is a game (the only aspect of that "Summer Music Games" marketing that they got right, IMO). All sports are games, but not all games are sports. Drum corps falls into the latter category.

Sure, drum corps performers display athletic prowess on occasion, but not in a sports-like way. It's no different than watching "So You Think You Can Dance". That show has dancers that display, at times, athletic skill. It's made up of choreographed performances. It's even judged subjectively. Is it a sport? No.

Its all about managing money. Below I have provided the most recent available documents regarding finances of the majority of this years World Class corps. Additionally, I included Glassmen and Music City, due to recent news and events.

Music City:

http://990s.foundati..._201110_990.pdf

(Note: This report is November 1, 2010 to October 31, 2011. They reported a in increase of $40,000 in assets. Without more current documentation, it is hard to determine where all this money went.)

Discuss

Considering that the same report showed that a loan-payable to Mr. Hall in the amount of over $40,000 for trailers and equipment, I suspect that $40m in assets now sits in Mr. Hall's driveway with a fresh coat of paint and a Band Hall logo on the side.

(or maybe will, shortly)

I don't remember their show from 2011, but it shows that they put that show on the field for a little more than $250m. What will be interesting is the 2013 report and what it shows they spent to put this year's show on the field.

Edited by garfield

I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise. The competitive aspects and the physical demands are certainly "sports-like" aspects of drum corps. No doubt DCI had this in mind as they MARKETED their product. No one here has suggested otherwise. But no where in all of that material is there the suggestion that DCI is a major professional sports league. Don't conflate marketing slogans with operational concepts. I can't believe we're still having this conversation. SO MANY threads on DCP have blown up any parallel between pro sports leagues and DCI and yet posters kept trying to make inept comparisons. Stop it already. DCI is not , never has been, and never will be a professional sport.

But this question still stands: If DCI is not a 'sport', and the Summer Music Games - Marching Music Major League monikers are not intended to evoke 'sports in the minds of those who read them, why did DCI market their broadcast to ESPN (a 'sports' network) and not to A&E, or Bravo, or VH1, or any number of non-sports networks?

Its all about managing money. Below I have provided the most recent available documents regarding finances of the majority of this years World Class corps. Additionally, I included Glassmen and Music City, due to recent news and events.

Music City:

http://990s.foundati..._201110_990.pdf

(Note: This report is November 1, 2010 to October 31, 2011. They reported a in increase of $40,000 in assets. Without more current documentation, it is hard to determine where all this money went.)

Discuss

What's also interesting is that $214m of what they spent to field a corps came from "Student Fees", while only $4,400 came from "Performance Fees" and barely over $32m came from contributions.

I don't presume to know what went on in Mr. Hall's rationale to end the corps, but it seems to me that maybe he should have focused more on actually performing the corps for appearance fees, and given his now full corps a few more years to build that performance income, he would have seen his way to continue.

Someone else can figure out how many DCI shows they performed in 2011 and got paid for, if any, but to source less than 2% of the corps' income on appearance fees doesn't seem right. Perhaps he did a lot of freebies to grow name recognition. Perhaps he relied strictly on the schedule of shows that DCI provided to him.

In five years' time he built a nothing into a something and quit right when his group got to the size needed to attract attention. Perhaps he was just short-sighted about how many years it would take the organization to become more independent of his financial contributions.

Many here know my fascination for the 990's, and I wish this one were up to date to this year so we could attempt to figure out the riddle. For all we know, it could be that, in order to reach "full-corps" size, the org had to go into substantial debt to Mr. Hall. I suppose we'll know in about 18 months, presuming MC files it's last 990 for 2013.

It's so not obvious as to make it a mystery worth solving.

Edited by garfield

no where in all of that material is there the suggestion that DCI is a major professional sports league. Don't conflate marketing slogans with operational concepts.

I've never read a single thread ever on DCP where a poster has ever suggested that DCI " is a professional sports league ". Certainly not in any operational methods either.

DCI operational policies and procedures are unlike any Pro OR AMATEUR competitive youth enterprise that I am familiar with. None of them do things the way DCI operates. DCI is unique in more ways that we can count, imo. Few, if any of them, would operate the way DCI is attempting to operate.

Edited by BRASSO

DCI operational policies and procedures are unlike any Pro OR AMATEUR competitive youth enterprise that I am familiar with. None of them do things the way DCI operates. DCI is unique in more ways that we can count, imo. Few, if any of them, would operate the way DCI is attempting to operate.

Isn't THAT the truth.

There's no question that drum corps is a game (the only aspect of that "Summer Music Games" marketing that they got right, IMO). All sports are games, but not all games are sports. Drum corps falls into the latter category.

Sure, drum corps performers display athletic prowess on occasion, but not in a sports-like way. It's no different than watching "So You Think You Can Dance". That show has dancers that display, at times, athletic skill. It's made up of choreographed performances. It's even judged subjectively. Is it a sport? No.

Wrong.