Electronics in DCA

Now that its passed in DCA let the arguments and the spin begin.

Go!

I can't wait. One of the things I've noticed at DCA shows over the last few years is how much the corps will benefit from amplified pit, particularly at Championships. My only concern is that the corps will fall into some of the traps some DCI corps fell into, but those are easily avoided by adhering to a few simple guidelines:

John's Simple Rules of Corps/Band Sound Systems:

1. Consult with an experienced sound engineer when constructing your system.

2. Train a member of your staff to operate the system properly. That member of the staff should understand *real* ensemble balance. It should NOT be your pit guy. Ever.

3. Ultimate balance should be from the box, not the field. Whether you operate it by remote control or use a cell phone, do not allow decisions on the mix to be made from ten feet in front of the pit.

4. Your budget for equipment doesn't need to be anywhere near what the doomsayers have claimed (you can easily set up a system for a full size corps for less than the cost of a marimba), jut be smart about it (see Rule #1).

5. For DCA: Train your judges in how sound systems are operated and what good ensemble balance is. Train them in what good and bad sounds like, including stuff like buzz, hum, and crackle, and ensure that criteria is properly applied (across ALL music captions).

• Like 1

ED.... just so you know..It passed in DECEMBER of 2012..

So the spins have come and gone..... you need to come out of the basement more often for that wing house sauce....and you'll stay current with events my friend

Go!

• Like 2

ED.... just so you know..It passed in DECEMBER of 2012..

So the spins have come and gone..... you need to come out of the basement more often for that wing house sauce....and you'll stay current with events my friend

Apparently so. I seem to remember it passing but did not remember it was going to take effect till 2014.

I guess that Wing House Sause ate that part of memory away. It can do that I have read. SNORT!@#$%

Only amplification of acoustic pit instruments has passed and takes effect in 2014.

Glen,

Could you post the exact wording of the new rule? I actually have some questions (and have been asked by at least one corps) about exactly what is legal and what isn't, not so much about instruments, but the logistics of operating and producing a professional sound system within the rule.

Thanks!

What's a glockenspiel? :blink:

Go!

Let the arguments be over 6 months past is more like it.

I can't wait. One of the things I've noticed at DCA shows over the last few years is how much the corps will benefit from amplified pit, particularly at Championships. My only concern is that the corps will fall into some of the traps some DCI corps fell into, but those are easily avoided by adhering to a few simple guidelines:

John's Simple Rules of Corps/Band Sound Systems:

1. Consult with an experienced sound engineer when constructing your system.

2. Train a member of your staff to operate the system properly. That member of the staff should understand *real* ensemble balance. It should NOT be your pit guy. Ever.

3. Ultimate balance should be from the box, not the field. Whether you operate it by remote control or use a cell phone, do not allow decisions on the mix to be made from ten feet in front of the pit.

4. Your budget for equipment doesn't need to be anywhere near what the doomsayers have claimed (you can easily set up a system for a full size corps for less than the cost of a marimba), jut be smart about it (see Rule #1).

5. For DCA: Train your judges in how sound systems are operated and what good ensemble balance is. Train them in what good and bad sounds like, including stuff like buzz, hum, and crackle, and ensure that criteria is properly applied (across ALL music captions).

in other words, for #5, don't follow DCI.

and man, staffs need to learn in many cases.

• Like 1