Electronics in DCA

And Legal Eagle, I guess you missed the irony in my post as well. The fact is that "drum corps" has moved further and further away from resembling drum corps. As you know, most modern "drum corps" utilize 3 to 4 valve brass instruments which are commonly used by marching and brass bands and they are certainly not bugles. I hope that someday soon "drum corps" will be referred to as marching brass bands so we can finally lay drum corps to rest as it died years ago. Can't wait to be attacked for this one!!!

No. The meaning of "drum corps" is different for everyone. I could easily say that when I started marching (early 80's), THAT was drum corps. Everything prior to 2-valves was "ancient history". If you think "drum corps" was everything prior to the Bb era, that's fine...for you. My personal opinion is that the definition of drum corps changes with time, and is certainly not beholden to the equipment being used.

But neither you, nor I, speak for everyone. For the folks marching today, THIS is the drum corps era, and the old stuff is nothing more than an amusing distraction.

• Like 4

No. The meaning of "drum corps" is different for everyone. I could easily say that when I started marching (early 80's), THAT was drum corps. Everything prior to 2-valves was "ancient history". If you think "drum corps" was everything prior to the Bb era, that's fine...for you. My personal opinion is that the definition of drum corps changes with time, and is certainly not beholden to the equipment being used.

But neither you, nor I, speak for everyone. For the folks marching today, THIS is the drum corps era, and the old stuff is nothing more than an amusing distraction.

yep yep....everyone seems to think that what they did was TRUE DRUM CORPS...well talk to the decades before and they never feel the same....I have relatives that said it wasnt drum corps after 1971, so if thats the case it hasnt been drum corps for over40 years..oh well... :smile:

• Like 1

I never understand why someone who clearly dislikes this activity, and obviously has for a very long time, continues to follow it, only to criticize it.

• Like 4

And Legal Eagle, I guess you missed the irony in my post as well. The fact is that "drum corps" has moved further and further away from resembling drum corps. As you know, most modern "drum corps" utilize 3 to 4 valve brass instruments which are commonly used by marching and brass bands and they are certainly not bugles. I hope that someday soon "drum corps" will be referred to as marching brass bands so we can finally lay drum corps to rest as it died years ago. Can't wait to be attacked for this one!!!

I believe that when one uses the term "drum corps" they mean "drum and bugle corps" since the two terms have been used interchangeably as far back as the 60s and perhaps before that. So, what I am saying is why would you call what we have now drum corps or drum and bugle corps when there are no bugles being utilized (in most cases). Would you call a mummers band a drum corps? And, just for the record, I go to and enjoy DCI and DCA shows as I have been able to accept them for what they are....brass bands. They have no right calling themselves drum and bugle corps anymore. That is an insult to the legacy!

• Like 2

I believe that when one uses the term "drum corps" they mean "drum and bugle corps" since the two terms have been used interchangeably as far back as the 60s and perhaps before that. So, what I am saying is why would you call what we have now drum corps or drum and bugle corps when there are no bugles being utilized (in most cases). Would you call a mummers band a drum corps? And, just for the record, I go to and enjoy DCI and DCA shows as I have been able to accept them for what they are....brass bands. They have no right calling themselves drum and bugle corps anymore. That is an insult to the legacy!

bugles havent been used for a veryyyyy long time..and besides if you want to be technical...its called DCI....Drum Corps International...or Drum Corps Associates...Not Drum and Bugle...so again over 40 years :smile:/>/>

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

And you think when DCA came was formed, they were not referring to drum and bugle corps? I am being technical and that is why I don't think a brass band with no bugles should be calling themselves drum and bugle corps. Look at their banners that they carry in parades. They don't say drum corps, they say drum and bugle corps. They both mean the same thing and always have.

• Like 1

And you think when DCA came was formed, they were not referring to drum and bugle corps? I am being technical and that is why I don't think a brass band with no bugles should be calling themselves drum and bugle corps. Look at their banners that they carry in parades. They don't say drum corps, they say drum and bugle corps. They both mean the same thing and always have.

ok if you want techinical....wayyyyyy back when many of these corps were formed and also called drum and Bugle corps there were more things played....even woodwinds in some cases and also other forms of brass. So if thats the case going back to other types should be ok?

You are personally choosing to decide what something is called or what is meant..thats alot of assumption I think.

things change and evolve, sometimes for the good sometimes not just becausse a car doesnt look like it did bitd doesnt make it all of a sudden a bike.

2013 drum corps different? sure , I dont think as much as some make it out to be BUT does it make it what it's always been , I think so? JMO

beat_dead_horse2.jpg

• Like 8