Would a trombone solo be allowed?

A trombone is a bell-forward brass instrument, which is how I believe legal instruments are defined in the rules, so I suspect yes. But, just to irritate us old guys, make it a 'G' trombone.

-edited for more gooder english

I see what you did there.

The rule book is on the DCI website, but as far as I know there is no link. Here is what I found:

http://www.dci.org/extranet/tep/downloads/2009/policies/2009_Rulebook.pdf

So what would be an example of brass instrument with non-continuous tubing? Actually wouldn't a tromebone be "more" continuous than any valved instrument? I understand what you mean by "visual of the instrument wouldn't change with the altering of pitch" but technically no brass instrument would qualify.

That rulebook is VERY outdated. Lots of changes since 2009, primarily in the equipment section. The 2010 version would be far more accurate.

The rule book is on the DCI website, but as far as I know there is no link. Here is what I found:

http://www.dci.org/e...09_Rulebook.pdf

So what would be an example of brass instrument with non-continuous tubing? Actually wouldn't a tromebone be "more" continuous than any valved instrument? I understand what you mean by "visual of the instrument wouldn't change with the altering of pitch" but technically no brass instrument would qualify.

So, it looks to me that a regular trombone could be used.

More Yikes.... shutup.gif

That rulebook is VERY outdated. Lots of changes since 2009, primarily in the equipment section. The 2010 version would be far more accurate.

It may be outdated, but it was the only rule book I found. Apparently, the rule book is a secret. Anyway, I doubt there were many changes to what defines a legal brass instrument over the past 4 years.

http://www.dci.org/extranet/tep/downloads/2009/policies/2009_Rulebook.pdf

I stand corrected re at lrast a rule book. Thanks

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Hey Mike (I was the one that yelled 'go Boo' at open class prelims, by the way) - as DCI's chief apologist, can you explain why the rules are not on-line in a pdf format? Having these available could answer many questions.

I don't think of myself as an apologist...I just like providing information I have when either questions arise from those who want to know or when statements are made by those who don't know, but think they might.

I've had a couple talks about the rules going up on DCI.org. Hope springs eternal, like that of a Cubs fan.

I don't think of myself as an apologist...I just like providing information I have when either questions arise from those who want to know or when statements are made by those who don't know, but think they might.

I've had a couple talks about the rules going up on DCI.org. Hope springs eternal, like that of a Cubs fan.

What are they scared of by not posting? Losing royalties, or dealing w/ copyrights? I looked on Amazon - it is not on there so here is their chance to corner the market

What are they scared of by not posting? Losing royalties, or dealing w/ copyrights? I looked on Amazon - it is not on there so here is their chance to corner the market

They aren't scared of anything. it's a matter of one person finding the time in his vastly-overworked schedule to digitize it properly and do it. I'd do it myself if I knew how, but I'm only allowed by the Geneva Conference to do just so much with the Internet, lest I accidentally blow up the World Wide Web and cause North Korean missiles to rain down upon a school of endangered whales.