What did you not catch upon first viewing?

That move was dirty all year long... until they nailed it at Semis. Not quite as clean on Saturday, but an awesome move nonetheless.

Semis it was PERFECT :thumbup:

• Like 1

Watch the guard work after the prism rotates ... they do a sequence move from left to right which represents the refraction of light ...

Yup - cool stuff

Same move in 1998 Cadets show on the back right - mid show - except they elongated it a little

Semis it was PERFECT :thumbup:/>

It was also great during the encore. There's a high cam video floating around.

It was also great during the encore. There's a high cam video floating around.

yup - saw that video - was VERY good during the encore as well / I personally thought that encore run was much better than the actual finals run -- which to me was a little reserved and "nervous" or "tentative" for lack of better words.

• Like 1

I mentioned this in one of the show threads this season, but I noticed in the Crossmen "Protest" show there's a set about women's rights. In the guard, the men are spinning the Women's Lib flags while the women are on rifles and sabers.

It recently struck me--this is in contrast to what was going on in the late '60s and early '70s--the guys were off in 'Nam and the ladies were back home holding the Women's Lib banners.

That section might have been about an identity crisis. :blink:

• Like 1

An easy miss the first time around was the "blood wings" presentation to the 4 principal guard members in the opener of the Madison Scouts 2013 production. As previously mentioned, this was a replication of the unofficial ceremony where silver airborne wings are driven through the shirt and into the chest of the new paratrooper (often done at the Club later that night) after the final jump and official graduation of Airborne training...

I wrote about that in the blogs. However, according to Robert W. Smith, the arranger, those were not paratroopers but Navy SEALs. The show was based on the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell, a SEAL who was the only survivor of a massive Taliban attack. He spoke with the corps while in Indianapolis, which was set up as a surprise.

• Like 1

Are you referring to the Fleur-de-lis made toward the later part of the show?

If so, please remember that this symbol has been identified with the French monarchy for more than the 75 honorable years of the Madison Scouts who borrowed it from Boy Scouts of America.

You are correct, and the fleur-de-lis was featured abstractly in all the flags, and especially so in the giant flags that arose and fell near the end of the show. (In the early flags, you have to look real close, but they're there in sort of a deconstructed fashion.) This is according to director Jeff Fiedler.

I wrote about that in the blogs. However, according to Robert W. Smith, the arranger, those were not paratroopers but Navy SEALs. The show was based on the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell, a SEAL who was the only survivor of a massive Taliban attack. He spoke with the corps while in Indianapolis, which was set up as a surprise.

This is incredible! That guy is a MASSIVE hero, and his book is edge-of-your-seat engrossing.

What a great surprise for the Scouts that he was there to inspire them, and I hope he enjoyed their production.

I've enjoyed and admired Robert W. Smith since the Suncoast Sound days (that Florida Suite arrangement was incredible!). I admire him even more now that I know his inspiration for this show.

And you, Mr. Boo, it seems I can learn about grammar and spelling, and useless facts about cheese, as well as juicy tidbits about drum corps arrangers from you. Many thanks.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

This is incredible! That guy is a MASSIVE hero, and his book is edge-of-your-seat engrossing.

What a great surprise for the Scouts that he was there to inspire them, and I hope he enjoyed their production.

I've enjoyed and admired Robert W. Smith since the Suncoast Sound days (that Florida Suite arrangement was incredible!). I admire him even more now that I know his inspiration for this show.

And you, Mr. Boo, it seems I can learn about grammar and spelling, and useless facts about cheese, as well as juicy tidbits about drum corps arrangers from you. Many thanks.

His "Patriot Tour" was in Indy the same week we were. The members didn't know he was there until after the show, when he spoke to them outside the stadium. I knew it was going to happen when I was in Allentown and I'm glad word never got out so as to take away the surprise. There's a photo of the meeting on the corps' Facebook page.

Interesting...thanks Boo. The "SEAL Trident" is the gold badge for the SEALS and that is similarly awarded in this unofficial manner.