Corps Anthems?

Glassmen's was formerly "Just a Gigolo" and now is (was?) "Madre de la Tierra"

for those unfamiliar:

Edited by euphman89
  • Like 1

Blue Knights' song is "I Go On" from Leonard Bernstein's "Mass." The corps played the tune in 1990, the year before they first made Finals.

Blue Knights' song is "I Go On" from Leonard Bernstein's "Mass." The corps played the tune in 1990, the year before they first made Finals.

I guess there's no such thing as a "typical" corps song, but as much as I love "Mass" that's a tough piece to picture as a corps song.

The intervals all by themselves... forget the downbeat lyrics...

Is there a video of either that performance or of them singing it hiding anywhere?

Can't forget some of the classics:

"Danny Boy" by 27th Lancers

"Greensleeves" by Guardsmen

"Auld Lang Syne" by Kilties

I think both North Star and Star of Indiana laid claim to "When You Wish Upon a Star"

Regarding Phantom, at one time it was Leroy Anderson's "Phantom Regiment" and for a while their encore was "Nessun Dorma:" (1990's???)

I never knew about North Star using "When...". That's cool. I'm glad we used a pretty special arrangement in Star, it still ties our alumni together...

How the West Was Won is the corps song, correct.

I was thinking as hymn separate from song- my bad!

Don't feel bad, after reading what was posted after I did I'm not totally sure what the OP intended. I was thinking of song that the corps is known for.... which might be off the mark...

Sometimes it depends on what you mean by the word "Anthem". There are Corps Songs and there are Mantras. The two are not always the same, although sometimes they can be. For example, the Cavs corps song is simply called "The Cavaliers" (sung to the melody of the Coast Guard anthem "Semper Peratus"- always prepared, but their mantra is "Over the Rainbow". BAC's corps song is "Giant" but their mantra is "Conquest". Contarily, the Troopers corps song is sung to the melody of "How the West was Won" but is also their mantra, or at least I think it is. Go figure. :smile:/>/>

I think the Troopers of this decade also have a song "The Long Blue Line" written by Gunny, RIP.

Jersey Surf: Pure Imagination (It's also our corps song)

<threadJack>

BOOTSTRAP! I have seen you posting in here for a while now, and I JUST put 2 and 2 together to figure out who you are! (I am old, give me some slack) Good to see you man! Will we perhaps see you in Annapolis?

</threadJack>