Minicorps RIP?

I think a good start would be to ask folks involved in the corps that attended the last few years that aren't coming this year.

Jumping in here late on this. SineWave 2010 was awesome for us who participated. For us it wasn't so much the $'s. For one it was some personal issues for those of us who wanted to keep going that kept us from continuing; me unfortunately being one of them. That and also a general lack of interest here in the Chicago area in doing this, period. Chicago, a hub for Corps enthusiasts and no one interested? Unbelievable me thinks, but unfortunately true. And a real shame because we had one of the best in front of us in Dr. Mark Ponzo from Northern Illinois University coaching us like I've never been coached before. I for one want to get back into this venue, hoping sometime soon that there will be individuals from around here interested in doing this!!

• Like 1

Well-said, Rich... but I'll disagree with you about Star being "professional musicians".. if that was the point you were making.

From what I understand, there are/have been very few folks in Star United who play, or have played, professionally.

I've heard from several people who think Star's members are mostly alumni of BLAST/Brass Theatre. Very far from the truth.

This is always funny to hear. The truth being quite opposite. Most in our line are current music educators, former marching members of various corps, a few play regularly in other groups, and some, myself included, only play in this group. The things we have in common are that we enjoy making music together, working hard to reach the highest standard of playing and marching that we are able, having fun, and entertaining the crowd.

• Like 1

This is always funny to hear. The truth being quite opposite. Most in our line are current music educators, former marching members of various corps, a few play regularly in other groups, and some, myself included, only play in this group. The things we have in common are that we enjoy making music together, working hard to reach the highest standard of playing and marching that we are able, having fun, and entertaining the crowd.

I agree about the funny, I think many aren't aware that BLAST! had a lot of people from many different corps.

And as for Educators, yes, I'm one of those ejdamacated people myself, but the degree really doesn't matter- thought it can help. Listen to one good British Brass band in the UK- and realize no one in those organizations except the conductor has a Music degree by their rules. yet those cats can play a TON. I've ran into some Mus Ed peeps who truthfully weren't as strong a musician as peeps I marched with over the years who had no degree..

I think we will be back on point next year. I have already heard that Minne Brass will be back. Mass Brass stayed in the same hotel, and while they didn't come right out and say it, I think they will be back. I would love to see Sine Wave get over their squabbles and put a corps back out.

• Like 1

I would love to see Sine Wave get over their squabbles and put a corps back out.

Initially had difficulties in deciding what direction we in SineWave were going to take. We got over that hump and really had it going with Dr. Ponzo on board. Then family issues got in the way and that was it. Hopefully we will be back in some fashion in the future. This is what we had going before we stopped:

http://sinewavebrass.com/

First off... Congratulations to the Ghost Riders !!!

I was standing in the tunnel as you folks were playing, you sounded GREAT !

The reality is, there probably is not just one or two reasons as to why the Mini-Corps participation has dwindled. Could be the economy, could be the location, could be DCA's lack of interest in it (money again), could be all the above or non of the above...

What I can speak of stems from my (our) experience as a Mini-Corps participant. Money certainly plays a large factor in it. Without getting into detail, we spent just shy of $9,000 this year on getting our show to the competition. This does not include our members individual costs for plane tickets, lodging and food during our stay. Nor does it include the cost of our instruments (most members have purchased there own instrument) gas getting to and from bi-weekly rehearsals (Jan thru May), weekly rehearsals (May thru DCA) and monthly camps. Most of our members travel 50 to 80 miles one way to rehearsals and camp is in the middle of the state (a three hour drive for most). And lets not forget the practice time needed in-between !!!

In short... Mini-Corps participation is a HUGE investment in time and personal expense. I know for me... Cost personally is of little consequence. Not because I'm particularly wealthy (because I'm not) but because it gives me the opportunity to continue doing an activity that I both love, enjoy, and yes, get to compete a bit. For me, right now... It's worth it ! To some, it may not be. Combine that with other factors and well, you have a recipe for declining participation. For us as an Alumni Corps, participation in general is way down from when we first started.

I'm pleased at the favorable comments said about the Freelancers show spoken here... It makes me smile ! :thumbup: This is exactly what were trying to do. Both entertain the crowed, maintain our signature style and even be competitive. All that with "G" Bugles !!! and as many traditional Drum pieces that we can get in the show. Thank you very much for the "kudos" !

The cost aspect is just going to be there... That's life... Music Licensing etc... is here to stay. Good, bad, or indifferent. Perhaps DCA and DCI can put there collective brain power to use and come up with a solution, but I'm not going to hold my breath. One thing I know for certain. If the audience wants to have Mini-Corps Competition, the fans will need to speak up and let there voices be herd... As well as attend the shows !!! After all, who wants to have all that expense, rehearsal time, and fly across the country to perform a 10 minute show in front of a couple hundred folks... Kind of takes the steam out of your sails... Or Sales !

Well be back again next year... Were already working on what the show music will be... AND, were going to be even better than we were this year ! (gauntlets thrown down !!!)

• Like 2

The Ghost Riders did a parade yesterday to recoup some of the expenses we incurred over the DCA weekend. We have some Santa Claus parades coming up in November and then an open house in January most likely.

We have figured the way to survive is through doing some well paying parades and pay expenses for traveling and competing with these funds we make by doing these gigs. Not everyone loves doing them, but usually the attendance is reasonable.

Donny

One point this year's results clear up is that a mini-corps can indeed win without having extensive drill (if that concern was indeed a factor in the limited participation this year). They also indicate (if this was in doubt) that a corps can play from sheet music and still score above 90.

Based only on a Fan Network viewing, I'd hate to have been a judge trying to rank the top two! Lovely performances from all corps, but those two were absolutely superb.

• Like 2