Minicorps RIP?

civilian book or Academy book?

Civilian.

I would need to get Pentagon clearance for the other one. :tongue:

... and in there lies the problem ... how simplistic a solution ...

:doh:

I agree.... sometimes the problem is right in front of us, Andy!!! :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Although the Top few Corps have raised the bar and made the overall show better by a huge factor, what they have done, with the escalation of complexity and addition of drill , is drive many groups from participation. It's just a whole lot of cost and effort for one, or even a few shows. One might just as well throw a pit together and compete in Class A.

Well, if this is a big factor, why don't DCA create a standstill class and non-standstill class? That would eliminate any group that wants to do drill in at least one class. That would also solve the "problem" and allow for more than one champion. For the record, I am sure most would agree that Star's performances are amazing and it is fun to say that DCA has a group that gets to represent that legendary corps on a regular basis!

• Like 1

I have to agree with Donny that the venue is not conducive to the 'Minicorps Atmosphere'. It was a totally different vibe. We knew going in the it was going to be hard to communicate with the audience from the field in such a large venue. Our upping the ante and doing a drill was in a way an attempt to adapt to the venue. And our experience was similar in that the visual portion actually hurt us more then helped. But some folks never learn. If you disliked the fact that we moved last year, be prepared to hate us this year. ;)

I think there is a place for staging, drill, enhancements, what have you. Even on the stage in Rochester a little movement seemed appropriate. Maybe that should be the dividing line between 'Minicorps' and 'Mixed or Brass Ensemble'. A bunch of guys standing and playing with a drum kit, mixed ensemble. A group with any kind of staging or movement and pit type percussion, Minicorps. Maybe throw an effect judge in to rate the 'enhancements' for the Minis. I can see where folks say; 'if you want to move, go to class A'. It is a huge leap to move up to the rung. 35+ members, battery percussion, guard, more time, more $. And then there is the challenge of communicating with that big distant audience. No matter how good, 18 or 20 brass on such a huge stage, and so far away has a tough time of it. But on a stage, or gym floor. Perfect. Again this seems like the perfect development environment to develop or redevelop some groups to eventually hit the grass. That alone could be a reason to get behind and promote the concept.

I hope Donnie is correct and the return to the indoor stage will entice groups to come out again. Plus being in Rochester might put us in a little closer reach for many of those groups. It did not think about the distance from the Northeast to Annapolis. It is a haul for us either way. Indoors, in NY sounds good.

I look forward to next Friday and our four corps showdown. SU and Ghost in the epic battle of 'simple gifts'. Not to be missed.

Mini Corps is one of the best things to happen in the last 15 years... along with class A

Let's prove that 2013 is just a hiccup and bring everything back to the caliber it was in Rochester for the 50th anniversary... back where it thrived in the Riverside Convention Center...

I think it's all about money...

Our show is some of the Appalachian Spring melody...but has many components other than such Appalachian Spring. It is about the "Simple Gifts" that we are given that we just assume and take for granted. It is more about a Thanksgiving for the gifts we receive. Something as simple as waking up in the morning or the water that our planet has so much of. But you will hear the "Simple Gifts" melody in every piece somewhere. The members are enjoying it. We honestly had to cut back on drill, because some of our guys just cannot do it.

We are coming full at 25 members strong! I don't think we will suck too bad.

Our show is some of the Appalachian Spring melody...but has many components other than such Appalachian Spring. It is about the "Simple Gifts" that we are given that we just assume and take for granted. It is more about a Thanksgiving for the gifts we receive. Something as simple as waking up in the morning or the water that our planet has so much of. But you will hear the "Simple Gifts" melody in every piece somewhere. The members are enjoying it. We honestly had to cut back on drill, because some of our guys just cannot do it.

We are coming full at 25 members strong! I don't think we will suck too bad.

Donnie does Copeland better than any arranger in the business...

I wouldn't quite go that far...but You will enjoy the show. If the judges base their score on effect like the sheets say, we will do fine. It is Copland, Brian Balmages, Paul Winter Consort et al all twisted up into a production.

DA

I take it the minicorps haven't always incorporated drill? Is the visual being judged or just the music?