Minicorps RIP?

I do think the cost accociated with the Mini Corps is a big factor. Pay for the rights for music for a one shot deal is very costly...I can totally understand why people don't want to do it. Fortunately for me, when I was in the Golden Eagles, that really wasn't an issue. We just had fun playing music we loved to play and really didn't care that that we had to PAY to perform!! Yes...we wanted to win, but were happy just to be performing. Imagine...a small parade corps from Long Island (that can barely get 6 or 7 members to march in a parade at any given time) getting together approx 18 incredible horn players and a couple of percussion people who all were part of the Golden Eagles at one time or another to rehearse once a week for 2 hours, coming from different states (mostly NY and NJ) and putting together a show worthy enough of competing against the likes of Star United, Ghost Riders, and Mass Brass. It was a huge thrill for us all and I am very proud that I was associated with those Mini Corps that the Golden Eagles produced!! But, that also caused one of our biggest problems as well. A majority of our membership marched competitively in other DCA Open corps. We had problems getting them to rehearsals at the same time, and risked loosing members the night of the actual performance because their respective corps had rehearsal on Friday night! I'll tell you....as the horn caption head, that was very frustrating, and honestly I really don't know if I would ever do it again! BUT...when it comes right down to it, hearing the crowd reaction to our performance was worth every minute!!

Now....I have not been involved in Mini Corps since 2010, so I really don't know what the issues are these days. Star United has been THE major force for the past decade and their musicianship has definitley risen the level of other units. I am not so sure the reason for other units not coming has anything to do with Star United. They are like the Reading Buccaneers of Mini Corps, but that doesn't stop the other 12 or so Open Class DCA corps from competing year after year. I honestly think the money is a major factor for Mini Corps. The cost of traveling these days, the cost of gas, the cost of hotels rooms in Annapolis itself, the cost for paying for the music rights....it all adds up and unless you have the funding or a sponsorship, I am not so sure some of these mini corps think the trip would be worth it!

Just my $ .02!!

Edited by FPonzo

I always saw the Mini-Corps event as a celebration, a continuation of what we all used to do back when, in a more formal way. A group of folks got together, dusted off their tools, and enjoyed an opportunity to play their hearts out yet again. Totally entertaining, certainly not too formal. Best show of the weekend for the money. Wait! It was free! What a good time and VERY accessible to participants and audience.

I was disappointed to see drill moves entering the picture. Surely, this new component is considered "over the top" for many early participants. And, yes, the impressive talent, sophistication, and success of Star United has probably taken a little air out of everyone's balloon.

Part of the reason for this change is the new process which is being introduced for the synch/mechanical/digital rights which needs to be completed and entered into a new computerized process by May 31, 2013. Therefore, competing groups will need to accelerate the timetable for rights to arrange and perform to meet this new deadline.

I highly suspect that this is the answer. The era of the free lunch is over, and I'm willing to bet a lot of the minis balked at paying for the rights. Which I can totally understand.

These costs do add up for a "one shot" deal ... totally forgot about the increase to 25 players ... the sum of all these things may have caused the drop in numbers this year ... maybe it will rise again next year in Rochester ... anyone know the status of the Mini Corps Associates (MCA) ... their website comes up as a Japanese business ...

:-)

The organization still legally exists,.........Rod Keppel from Ghost Riders is the chief,..........

Perhaps a dumb question here....

But do the mini-corps have to pay those various "rights fees" simply because the mini-corps show is recorded for sale?

If that's the case, perhaps if that show wasn't recorded for sale... it might help bring more mini-corps to the event.

Perhaps a dumb question here....

But do the mini-corps have to pay those various "rights fees" simply because the mini-corps show is recorded for sale?

yes,.........in the past, there were black market recordings that were produced and sold, and in many cases without the permission of the corps, let alone the writers and arrangers,.......

My understanding is that a mini corps can use their associated corps insurance, if the associated corps is participating at DCA. But not every mini corps has an associated corps.

not exactly correct,.........insurance is required,(not to mention a smart thing to have), but it could be from a sponsoring corps/organization, but not necessarily tied to a competing DCA corps,........