Best Year of Drum Corps ('00-'09)

My vote has to go to 2002. There were some great shows I loved that year beginning with BAC's "You Are My Star" a show that had special meaning given what happened on September 11, 2001. It's interesting that after the Boston marathon Bombing, some people who post on DCP found the show comforting eleven years later.2002's Cavies show has all their favorite stunts in their bag of tricks. Cadets had an entertaining show and Crossmen had one of their best shows too. I'm not sure how much new ground was set that year, but it had memorable shows at laast fro me.

I'm going to say 2009 with 2000 and 2003 close behind. I just loved The Cadets' WSS especially the ballad and the killer company front.

For all time, 1991 was the by far the strongest top 12 fielded. Fantastic year.

How has no one voted 2007? Crown/Bluecoats/Vanguard and Phantom within a point of each other AND amazingly fantastic shows. Blue Knights best show ever IMO. Blue Devils haven't marched a better show since.

Totally agree with you all across the board.

This was the year when I think Crown really opened the eyes of the masses of the push forward they were about to make. Their opening hit is still one of my favorites ever.

Not to mention one of my favorite- and I think way over-looked- Vanguard shows that they have put on the field in the past decade.

And I think this was the last quality year before audio embellishment fully tainted drum corps forever.

Totally agree with you all across the board.

This was the year when I think Crown really opened the eyes of the masses of the push forward they were about to make. Their opening hit is still one of my favorites ever.

Not to mention one of my favorite- and I think way over-looked- Vanguard shows that they have put on the field in the past decade.

And I think this was the last quality year before audio embellishment fully tainted drum corps forever.

Awful overgeneralization aside, you must be forgetting Cadets 2007 show "This I Believe" which featured quite a lot of amplified stuff. Also every corps also had electronics and amplified things. And Blue Devils won with a questionably legal (at the time) audio manipulation effect.

I don't disagree that 2007 was a great year or drum corps. That was the last time I went to Finals, and I agree about Vanguard's underrated show (when their guard does the Bottle Dance? PERFECT)

And hence why I didn't make mention of the Cadets ;)

I should have been more specific in my way-laying of audio embellishment; more specifically the sub-bass bump as opposed to audio/vocal clips and such. In the context that how much I miss the days of pre-amplification, specifically when I am listening to the championship recordings from the past few years.

Awful overgeneralization aside, you must be forgetting Cadets 2007 show "This I Believe" which featured quite a lot of amplified stuff. Also every corps also had electronics and amplified things. And Blue Devils won with a questionably legal (at the time) audio manipulation effect.

I don't disagree that 2007 was a great year or drum corps. That was the last time I went to Finals, and I agree about Vanguard's underrated show (when their guard does the Bottle Dance? PERFECT)

I think the OP meant that they feel like this was the last year before all the amp sounds and later synths were "weaved into the hornbook" such that it altered the sound of most corps (especially on the low end). Also this was pretty close to the last year before corps music arrangers began handing a LOT of the meat and potatoes in their horn books to the amped pit to play.

Before this change, the amped stuff was not as musically integrated into the hornline, it was more an accessory sound to complement the main sound.

It's sorta like this musically:

ketchup: amps and electronics

fries: percussion section

chicken sandwich with mayo, lettuce, and tomato: brassline

2007 and before: The ketchup is added to the fries for a little zing...

After: The ketchup is added to the fries for a little zing, then it's poured onto the chicken sandwich, cause supposedly everything tastes better with ketchup.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

2010 was the best year I've seen for non finalists.

Teal sound, troopers, crossmen, The Academy, colts, and the mandarins all had amazing shows

honestly, I chose mine on just total show design, electronics or no electronics. after 08, more and more show design leaves me uninspired