Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

Miley Cyrus is hip and current. She's an "artist" in some respects (not sure what those respects are).

But based on her performance at the VMAs last night, I'll be good-god-###### if I would want to see anything remotely resembling that from a drum corps.

and yet, some of those color guard uniforms, I mean costumes....:tongue:/>

the key in picking music isn't just the music you pick...it's how you arrange it. That's what Dan's missing.

Pick something current, pick something old, pick something latin, pick somethingwind ensemble...just make it flow, and not be an exercise in how many sets until we can get to the next power chord with body underneath it

• Like 2

Miley Cyrus is hip and current. She's an "artist" in some respects (not sure what those respects are).

I agree. Doing Miley Cyrus Music would be like doing something from the pop realm world like from Jethro Tull, Billy Joel, Lady Gaga, Van Morrison, The Stones, Queen, Freddie Mercury, Vanilla Ice, Beyonce, LMFAO, Aretha Franklin, Sinatra, Santana, Streisand, The Who, the Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Tower of Power, Beachboys, Enya, AC/ DC, etc, and that'd never work out for Corps and audiences...... Oh wait,....... never mind.

Edited by BRASSO

There are a couple Miley Cyrus songs that might work in drum corps (they might even be improved without their clumsy lyrics). I'm not sure her current hit, "We Can't Stop", that she performed on television last night, is one of them. And talk about being almost a century behind: the song's

, when not merely copying the likes of Madonna, Britney Spears, or Lady Gaga, is just warmed-over surrealism, a series of weird images meant to shock; Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali were doing the same sort of thing in the 1920s.

the key in picking music isn't just the music you pick...it's how you arrange it.

I'd agree with this... its mostly all in the arranging whether or not it'll have mass appeal for audiences or not. Most people can handle new stuff they're not familiar with, provided that its presented in an engaging manner.

Drum corps is also way behind magazines that have had "Scratch 'n' Sniff" inserts for decades.

Drum corps is way behind Broadway productions that have had elevated stages and flying for decades.

Drum corps is way behind lots of things we take for granted in other forms of entertainment...

...because it's drum corps and not those other forms of entertainment.

I support innovation in drum corps. I also support letting drum corps be drum corps.

No kidding; I think if there is one constant thing we can rely on when it comes to drum corps, if designers want to do something they will do it. If there are rules against what they want to do, they will either do it anyway (such as BD 2007 modified amplification of voice which wasn't legal but either went unnoticed or DCI officials didn't think it drastically affected things enough to penalize) or push for a rules change.

To back up what Mr. Boo is saying, I think in the medium of marching bands (which includes drum corps - sorry purists) drum corps is essentially ahead of the curb, or at the very least closer to the top than the middle. Some of the top BOA bands and WGI units might be ahead of drum corps, but for the most part everybody is emulating or influenced by the top drum corps designs.

Also, I will FAR take what the directors & designers say/do when it comes to the activity over the armchair designers on DCP who have little/no involvement in the activity

• Like 1

Modern is relative...

Went to the MOMA in NYC 2 weeks ago.

Simon and Garfunkel would be among the most recent art featured...

if they had anything exhibited there...

Plus everything since Zeppelin is crap anyway...

Well, "Modern" has a specific and temporal meaning in art history, starting in the early 20th century, and so the vast majority of what MOMA exhibits, while considered "Modern", is in fact pretty old by now.

If anything drum corps is a postmodern activity. The rules are vague about what is "good" and "bad", the styles of music and movement can vary tremendously mixing new ideas with old ones with no real distinction between contemporary and classic, show design is often self-referential to the extreme, representationalism and abstraction are both embraced side by side often within the same show, and the activity itself is a pastiche of a wide variety of other kinds of arts from dance to music to fashion. All of which makes any idea that the activity is behind other art forms the more ridiculous.

Edited by skywhopper