Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

To be fair, I think many big orchestras are in tighter financial straits than DCI...

So, to be fair, since your response here was directly posted in reaction to my sarcastic OMG about the CSO being 100 years behind, you have just stated that the reason the CSO is performing the works of 100 year-old works from Brahms and Verdi in 2013 is because they are in a financial hardship. Or, are you contending that the CSO is having financial hardships because the CSO is an organization that performs works that are 100 years behind?

And now featuring the the 100 years behind the times out of date DCI corps performing:

Angels in the Architecture composed by Ticheli in 2008

Creep composed by Radiohead in 1992/ remade in 2008

Test Drive composed by Powell in 2010

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 composed by Tyler in 2011

Rose of Arimathia composed by Zimmer in 2006

Etc, Etc, Etc…

- Yep, these sure are 100 years out of date I tell ya!!!

Edited by Stu

In my view, it matters little who the performer is... its the music itself... and its all in its arranging and in its presentation. ( and you should be made aware that at TOP 12 Corps recently has performed a piece composed by Lady Gaga... and successfully received by audiences, near as I could tell anyway ). Some of the world's best symphonies have played music composed by some pretty undesirable characters both within and from outside the rock realm or the pop music realm. sometimes in collaborative ventures right up on stage together too. Why should summer Drum Corps be any different in this respect ? So yes, if the music from Miley Cyrus is a good piece to explore in Drum Corps, go for it ( assuming no rights issues ) If Drum Corps can handle music from 300 years ago, it should be able to at least consider from time to time other modern genres of music from today's music world, imo

and in the drum corps world..you dont go to see a show based on whats being played but WHO is doing the playing...so with all the comparisons people love to make it still makes this activity different form others.....imo

Edited by GUARDLING

and in the drum corps world..you dont go to see a show based on whats being played but WHO is doing the playing...

I don't pretend to know the reasons why people go to shows. I suspect there are a myriad of reasons why they go.. to the list of Corps, to meet up with alum and friends, to the perceived entertainment value expected, because there are friends, family in the shows, and a host of other reasons. They come back( or don't return ) to the future shows for a myriad of reasons too, I'd imagine.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't pretend to know the reasons why people go to shows. I suspect there are a myriad of reasons why they go.. to the list of Corps, to meet up with alum and friends, to the perceived entertainment value expected, because there are friends, family in the shows, and a host of other reasons. They come back( or don't return ) to the future shows for a myriad of reasons too, I'd imagine.

all of the above would be true...in all my years though never heard one person say Im going to see Santa Clara because they are playing Blah Blah Blah.......maybe AFTER the 1st time they see a corps and what they have done to a piece of music, then maybe.....or as you say maybe run away or go get a hot dog. :smile: imo

And now featuring the the 100 years behind the times out of date DCI corps performing:

Angels in the Architecture composed by Ticheli in 2008

Creep composed by Radiohead in 1992

Test Drive composed by Powell in 2010

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 composed by Tyler in 2011

Rose of Arimathia composed by Zimmer in 2006

Etc, Etc, Etc…

- Yep, these sure are 100 years out of date I tell ya!!!

Fixed for OCD semantics. But the 2008 version is probably from Scala, which is the version Bluecoats used (the one from The Social Network trailer). But I digress, don't shoot me...

So, to be fair, since your response here was directly posted in reaction to my sarcastic OMG about the CSO being 100 years behind, you have just stated that the reason the CSO is performing the works of 100 year-old works from Brahms and Verdi in 2013 is because they are in a financial hardship. Or, are you contending that the CSO is having financial hardships because the CSO is an organization that performs works that are 100 years behind?

I'm not saying anything other than it's probably not a good idea to hold up symphony orchestras as a model. I don't think their financial problems have anything to do with the music they play.

all of the above would be true...in all my years though never heard one person say Im going to see Santa Clara because they are playing Blah Blah Blah.......maybe AFTER the 1st time they see a corps and what they have done to a piece of music, then maybe.....or as you say maybe run away or go get a hot dog. :smile: imo

I will admit that after planning NOT to attend any G7 shows, I ended up going to two this year mainly because Carolina Crown was playing Einstein on the Beach... :lookaround:

Edited by skywhopper

I'm not saying anything other than it's probably not a good idea to hold up symphony orchestras as a model...

Why? Symphony Orchestras play older compositions, DCI corps play older compositions, Symphony Orchestras play modern compositions, DCI corps play modern compositions, Symphony Orchestras perform to a select few who enjoy that musical genre, DCI corps play to a select few who enjoy that musical genre, Symphony Orchestras are non profit musical art organizations, DCI corps are non profit musical art organizations, Symphony Orchestras use older instruments and modern technology, DCI corps use older instruments and modern technology, etc...

Edited by Stu

None of the big Rockers that are still packing them in in the large venues have changed much at all the last 40 years, imo...Bruce Springsteen...

Hardcore Springsteen fan here - his stuff has changed significantly over the years. (Heck, even his most recent release of "Land of Hope and Dreams" from Wrecking Ball has electronic drums in it...)

(Sorry, sorry - but it's post-Finals in DCP land - what else do we have to nitpick about? :smile: )

Mike

• Like 1