Drum Corps is About 100 Years Behind

Hardcore Springsteen fan here - his stuff has changed significantly over the years. (Heck, even his most recent release of "Land of Hope and Dreams" from Wrecking Ball has electronic drums in it...)

(Sorry, sorry - but it's post-Finals in DCP land - what else do we have to nitpick about? :smile:/>/> )

Mike

yepp........fan myself.............................IMO..nothing goes back without contemporizing it and making it revelant NOW..even if its just little things like sounds...re- arrangement...costuming..etc etc...now of course someone will find the one instance where not a thing changed somewhere, missing the point completely.

SCVs success as well as fans who liked this kind of show was NOT done the way they would have done it in the 80s,,,,musically as well as visually. This is what made it current and liked by many. Their PROPS alone ( although they used some big props in the past , the Red Poppy :thumbup:/> )made for some good effects and the disapearing corps could not have been done without them . That's good and creative programing. Takes alot to take something old and make it revelent and current to today and leaving it alone IMO would never have cut it.

Edited by GUARDLING

Why? Symphony Orchestras play older compositions, DCI corps play older compositions, Symphony Orchestras play modern compositions, DCI corps play modern compositions, Symphony Orchestras perform to a select few who enjoy that musical genre, DCI corps play to a select few who enjoy that musical genre, Symphony Orchestras are non profit musical art organizations, DCI corps are non profit musical art organizations, Symphony Orchestras use older instruments and modern technology, DCI corps use older instruments and modern technology, etc...

Orchestras are a fine comparison but my point is that we should not look to them as a model of how to grow and thrive, because they are in worse shape in many ways than drum corps. Certainly the trend line is worse for orchestras.

Orchestras are a fine comparison but my point is that we should not look to them as a model of how to grow and thrive, because they are in worse shape in many ways than drum corps. Certainly the trend line is worse for orchestras.

Ok, now I get your drift. What has happened is that you thought my comment was directed at using symphonies as a model; that was not what my sarcasm was directed at. My sarcasm was directed at the idiotic statement that Drum Corps is about 100 years behind; and I was merely pointing out the absurdity of that contention by stating that, if true, then symphonies are also about 100 years behind. And we have tons of evidence (from modern compositions to the use of modern electronic technology) to show that neither DCI nor Symphonies are anywhere close to being archaic.

Edited by Stu

Hardcore Springsteen fan here - his stuff has changed significantly over the years. (Heck, even his most recent release of "Land of Hope and Dreams" from Wrecking Ball has electronic drums in it...)

(Sorry, sorry - but it's post-Finals in DCP land - what else do we have to nitpick about? :smile:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/> )

Mike

Don't get me wrong, I 'm not stating that the top Rockers from the 70's or so don't change at all. I'm simply saying that they don't change all that much. Sure, Springsteen has changed up a little... but his genre of music is still pretty much the same, his style the same, many of his Corps members of the E Street Band the same, his stage presence the same, stage attire the same, and on and on. Also keep in mind that I 'm saying this in the context of Drum Corps. For example, who has changed more since the early 70's, Springsteen and his E Street Band or the Blue Devils ? Which has changed their genre of music, instrumentation, style, clothing, etc and their overall look and sound more ? Its a no brainer, right ? Well, that was my central point. Its also true that many of the audience goers of today of the Rockers from the 70's want them to play their old hits from the 70's. If they don't play all of them, they're disappointed. So naturally, all these groups from the 70's play the old stuff that they've played several thousand times by now. But they're happy to oblige them at their shows..... James Taylor is another example of a performer that has changed up.. but only very little. After his success in the late 60's, early 70's, he didn't hook up an electric guitar and decide to play Rock, Alternative, Heavy Metal, etc and decide to wear the Boy Band attire of the Rockers that were the rage in the 80's. He stayed pretty much the same, played the same style non electric guitar for 98% of his songs, wrote similar songs as he always did, kept his band pretty much intact, continued to wear the same style clothes on stage, kept the same stage demeanor, and so forth, and navigated the 70's through to today very well as a result of keeping his sound and his look in performance pretty much the same throughout. He kept his loyal fans that grew older with him, and brought in some new ones in the next 2 generations. The same successful formula that the many others I mentioned above were able to incorporate.

Edited by BRASSO

And to take it a step further, it's not only how music is arranged, but how it is coordinated visually. With the state of our activity visual/audio coordination is the huge key, not just "new wave for the sake of new wave."

that's the problem. the visual drives the bus far too often

that's the problem. the visual drives the bus far too often

where ya been? :tongue:/>/> it always has..even when the breakdown of nubers said different for decades visual was inherent in every caption and it only got stronger over the years BUT it was always there ..at least back to early 80s if not sooner.....now I know people dont want to believe that BUT its true...way back ( I wont say when ) I was in the horn line of a very successful corps and decided that I wanted to do this as long as I could...WAYYYYYY back then...not wanting a music carreer...I was told by pretty big people of the time........go into the visual end..it's where its going and where it will be.I did , a very long time ago and havent done to bad. :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

This is the stuff that kids dig... drum corps can't be behind the curve here in terms of design...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC4fMm4Axw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSTIrzPOvkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwT9_5oAmeI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W0rGXOH9CQ

This is the stuff kids dig in band... winterguard and winter percussion are even further out there. Drum corps, in many ways, has fallen behind marching band and especially WGI.

While our Japanese friends went way outside the norm visually, their playing was...well....especially not good at finals. Kids noticed.

as for the BOA stuff, that's not all that far different from DCI today, minus a hundred or so bodies and woodwinds.

and oh...DCI drew more fans than BOA did

lol..youre right about the words BUT I find most of theose words ( Like DUDE....the new..OLD word drum people hold onto them more than anyone..look at Jeff Ream....lol....SORRY DUDE !!!! tongue.gif/>

I hear ya about 70s 80s..shouldnt it be retro again....well maybe BUT not without a huge twist and makeover...Not much goes back without a big overhaul done to it

yo dude

tongue.gif

and in the drum corps world..you dont go to see a show based on whats being played but WHO is doing the playing...so with all the comparisons people love to make it still makes this activity different form others.....imo

well actually, a lot of people stopped going because of what was being played