An open letter to SCV's staff coordinator

Dear Staff Coordinator for the Santa Clara Vanguard,

First of all congratulations on your corps' success for the 2013 season with your Les Mis show. When I first heard what you were going to be doing for 2013, I got very excited because I knew that this show would be somewhat of a modernized throwback to what the corps was in my era of drum corps when the Vanguard under the direction of Mr. Gail Royer was performing shows like Phantom Of The Opera, Carmen, Miss Saigon and Fiddler On The Roof. I wasn't exactly sure just how well the show would do competitively but I honestly didn't care because I knew it was going to be an enjoyable fan favorite. Little did I know, this show would trail the Cadets almost the entire 2nd half of the season and come within 1 tenth of a point away from them - nearly earning the bronze medal and placing the highest since 2004.

With that in mind, I would like to make a request. Please do not shake up your staff. Every year, it seems like people on your staff are being let go and as a result the corps keeps having to start all over again and when I look at the pattern of the corps' inconsistency in placement over the last 15-20 years, I can't help but blame you for firing people every year. Yes, I'm calling it your fault (i.e., the staff coordinator) It's one thing to hold onto a staff for several years and then let them go because of lack of success. But you seem to be letting people go every single year. To plant crops, you will only harvest if you do not uproot. The staff and the corps you have is absolutely outstanding right now. It would be a mistake if you continued in your habit of firing your staff and starting all over again. If you want to medal, if you want to win, do so by taking what you have and encouraging it to grow. For once, you need to water your crops, not uproot them.

So please, don't fire anybody. In 1989 Curt Gowdy said on the DCI broadcast "Momentum is on the side of the Santa Clara Vangaurd". Momentum is exactly what Vanguard has been lacking since 1989, but as of last year, or really the last two or three years, the Santa Clara Vanguard is beginning to develop that momentum that the Santa Clara Vanguard was once known for. Look at it. Since 2010, the corps has gone up in placement every single year. Please, keep the momentum going by allowing your staff to continue where they left off last year and build from it. Firing and re-hiring would only kill that momentum and if you keep doing that, you might kill the corps. Nobody wants that. We all love the corps too much.

Sincerely, a Vanguard fan.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 7

Well, that's the most creative way I've ever witnessed for an anonymous staff member to plead the case for keeping their job. :tongue:/>

and the first time Curt Gowdy has been invoked to plead the case for anything to do with drum corps...Gowdy was like a fish out of water for sure. His best comment of the night was "Steve Rondinaro you take it."

• Like 2

Every shake-up Vanguard has done-2010 visual instruction staff, 2011 percussion arranger and staff, 2012 brass staff/brass arranger, 2013 guard staff/guard design team-has put SCV in a better place. The replacements have come-with one exception-because the group that was there decided to move on or move away.

Inside sources say that SCV feels they have the right team with the right chemistry to make the run for a medal.

People weren't neccessarily "fired" as most left of their own volition.

• Like 4

and the first time Curt Gowdy has been invoked to plead the case for anything to do with drum corps...Gowdy was like a fish out of water for sure. His best comment of the night was "Steve Rondinaro you take it."

Sorry...I think you mis-stated this slightly. "Steve Rondidaro" you take it"

• Like 1

I don't know anything about whether or not staff changes would be warranted or a bad idea, but all I want is for the Vanguard to continue on the trend they've set the past few years. Please don't try to change it up too much just for the hope scoring higher (I hope they can score higher by continuing with the direction and style they currently have).

• Like 3

Sorry...I think you mis-stated this slightly. "Steve Rondidaro" you take it"

Dick and Tom Smothers are in the middle of playing a folk song, Dick on Stand-Up Bass and Tom on Guitar, when this happens:

Dick: Take it Tom.

Tom: No.

They continue playing for a moment, look at each other, then the music dies out...

Dick: You are not supposed to say that.

Tom: Well sometimes when a fellow does not feel like it he should stand right up and say, No.

Dick: I just want to get to the...

Tom: I guess you caught me on an off night.

Dick: Folk singers always Take It!

Tom: I, Just...

Dick You have not read the Folk Signers Handbook?

Tom: I, uh, you, uh...

Dick: You do not know the Folk Singers credo?

Tom: Yeah, uh, Mom read it to me.

Dick: Then what does it say?

Tom: I don't remember.

Dick: That all folk singers are obligated to what?

Tom: Um, to... take it....

Dick: That's right!!!

Tom: ... if you feel like it.

Dick: NO! It doesn't say If You Feel Like It! It says obligated, without hesitation, without thinking, like a reflex!

Tom: You, uh...

Dick: TAKE IT!!!!

Tom: Dickie the Dictator.

They go back to playing the song.

• Like 1

Well, that's the most creative way I've ever witnessed for an anonymous staff member to plead the case for keeping their job. :tongue:/>

I knew someone was going to say something like that. But you are wrong. I have no current affiliation with any corps or any part of the activity. I'm just a fan with an opinion. As far as SCV is concerned, I've never had any part in that organization current or past, be it staff, marching member or volunteer. I swear this on my entire bank account.

• Like 1

The line I quoted was undoubtably scripted because it was on the opening credits. So fine, we'll credit Tom Blair for the quote then. And does it matter who said it? The quote was 100% true. The momentum of that corps in the 70s and 80s paralleled that of the Blue Devils and they have not had that momentum since. While we're on the subject of the Blue Devils, that's a perfect example. How much do they change up their staff and look at their "momentum".