Are Championships too expensive?

One thing..... You look at DCA as the promoter right? Well who is DCA?

The corps

I guess your right but I think I am really addressing the point of costs for these non-profit organizations and what there mission is. Keeping costs down should be the priority of all organizations who decide to participate in DCA competitions. Maybe I'm just missing the point. What does DCA actually get in return for this? I think we make assumptions that the stadium and services are free or very cheap in exchange. What would be the deal if there was no convention type arrangement? Could a venue be found that would not require this arrangement?

Or....gasp.....,grow your backyards and DCA can move

I don't ever expect DCA to move. Yes we plan to "grow our own backyard". If we can get a couple more going in Kansas and Oklahoma we will have our own circuit in the Middle of the Country.

I don't ever expect DCA to move. Yes we plan to "grow our own backyard". If we can get a couple more going in Kansas and Oklahoma we will have our own circuit in the Middle of the Country.

Oh... Count on it. DCA championships will definitely move outside of the NE US. It has to happen. If it doesn't, All-Age Corps are doomed to oblivion. DCA will become nothing more than a local championship show.

At DCI Erie, I found myself sitting behind two current White Sabers members and next to a fellow who was an alum of the Rochester Crusaders--the latter lives in California but had been visiting family in Buffalo when somehow he learned of the show and drove down. So there's definitely a potential overlap in audience. If everyone who was at DCI Erie came to the championships in Rochester, that would go a long way to success for DCA. For that matter, DCA should have advertised next year's championships at this year's DCI Massillon show. Next year, they should advertise both the 2014 and 2015 Rochester shows in Massillon.

Everybody that's into drum corps in Erie is well aware of any DCA show within a 150 mile radius, especially championships. We read DCP and Facebook.....

I guess your right but I think I am really addressing the point of costs for these non-profit organizations and what there mission is. Keeping costs down should be the priority of all organizations who decide to participate in DCA competitions. Maybe I'm just missing the point. What does DCA actually get in return for this? I think we make assumptions that the stadium and services are free or very cheap in exchange. What would be the deal if there was no convention type arrangement? Could a venue be found that would not require this arrangement?

It's actually fact that they get breaks.

Oh... Count on it. DCA championships will definitely move outside of the NE US. It has to happen. If it doesn't, All-Age Corps are doomed to oblivion. DCA will become nothing more than a local championship show.

It will happen. I look forward to it.

I just don't want to go to Rochester again

It will happen. I look forward to it.

I just don't want to go to Rochester again

Jeff - DCA ( and DCI to a lesser degree ) need to expand with more corps and perhaps even stage a Championship down South or Midwest perhaps - but reality controls it. For the relative near term, moving is NOT gonna happen because it can't. The vast majority of the fan base is NE based and I do not think the demographics say these fans would journey more miles than currently to attend the end of season extravaganza. This goes for the Alumni corps as well.

Everybody that's into drum corps in Erie is well aware of any DCA show within a 150 mile radius, especially championships. We read DCP and Facebook.....

I think the goal is to get people who aren't aware of DCA or DCA shows to attend. Build the audience, get new people interested. From what I read on FB, the Groupon event DCA did for championships worked well in that area.

• Like 1

Could a venue be found that would not require this arrangement?

Doubtful. Venues are expensive. Staff needs to be paid and in a large venue it is more than a couple of janitors and security guards.

Jeff - DCA ( and DCI to a lesser degree ) need to expand with more corps and perhaps even stage a Championship down South or Midwest perhaps - but reality controls it. For the relative near term, moving is NOT gonna happen because it can't. The vast majority of the fan base is NE based and I do not think the demographics say these fans would journey more miles than currently to attend the end of season extravaganza. This goes for the Alumni corps as well.

Starting corps isn't cheap.

DCA is bring smart about moving slow. Remember DCI moving to Indy was to centralize things but corps ate still folding