Someone please explain e=mc^2 to me, because I really don't like/g

Answer after reading my comments, please :)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Considering their title, what it implied, and what was presented, does Crown's show make sense?

• Yes, your comments didn't change my mind
    • No, your comments changed my mind
    • No, I already had this opinion
    • I don't know

I think Grisha's Donut Theory just might have a big hole in the middle of it. I just can't sink my teeth into it, nor explain why. I intend to give this much deeper and contemplative thought the next time I buy a large coffee & a honey dip at Dunkin.

The thought of how we can physically eat 'doughnut holes' has kept me up many a night. I mean a hole is a space in which there is no edible substance, so how can we eat doughnut 'holes'? And the way standard doughnuts are made, there is nothing cut out of the doughnut to create that hole. I can understand physically eating a doughnut which is made in a non traditional manner by the dough being rolled into a 'doughnut ball', but still, I cannot comprehend how we can eat nothingness called a doughnut hole. Maybe Crown or the Blue Devils or the Cadets can design a show to educate me on this conundrum; wait and see, wait and see.

I think Grisha's Donut Theory just might have a big hole in the middle of it. I just can't sink my teeth into it, nor explain why. I intend to give this much deeper and contemplative thought the next time I buy a large coffee & a honey dip at Dunkin.

The Theory is actually Poincare's, nor Perelman's. He won the Field's Medal and because the conjecture was one of the millenium problems, $1,000,000 for his proof (potentially. the way he published the proof, and because the proof was actually proving something about manifolds, not Poincare's conjecture, have made a mess of things for the people at the Clay Institute). However, he promptly rejected the Field's medal (Read: Math's Nobel Prize because the tards at Nobel don't award anything for math), and will most likely reject the Clay prize.

Point is, saying sarcastic things about donut holes isn't going to make anything go away. What Perelman did has real, tangible, value.

• Like 1

The first time I saw Crown's show I was pretty offended by it. Given the show title, I was expecting a show celebrating science and human advancement, but instead I see a show that celebrates everything it can't do. I REALLY don't like the counting, and I actually hate the narration (sorry if the guy who did that reads this). If you ask me I don't think a narrated story has ANY place in DCI. It covers a relatively weak ballad. Sure, their hornline was absolutely dialed in, can't deny that. But the music does nothing for me. Especially what they hid under the narration during the ballad piece.

I also did a little personal calculating and found that Crown's hornline is neither playing or marching for a full 26% of the show. That's appalling. I'm afraid in our eagerness for Crown to finally beat BD, Crown became them. Also, I'm not one of the old DCI fans. I'm not even 20 yet, and was only introduced to DCI just 3 years ago. So, this isn't someone pining for the days before b-flat trumpets and amplification.

Anyways, this opinion has not been well received around the internet or among my friends. Given the huge negative backlash, I'm looking for someone who could explain this show to me in a way that would make sense of it all. Anyone who could address my concerns above would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

ALSO, please don't comment telling me I'm stupid or just don't get it. This is me taking that under consideration and hoping to gain more understanding. Thanks.

Sorry, that, is laughable. I respect your opinion, regardless of me disagreeing with it, but that is not a weak ballad by any means, under the narration.

Crown did not become BD, I don't see that at all and did not win because of it, BDs and Crowns shows were two different beasts this year. If you look at the recap, Crowns performance scores are what pushed them over the edge in some places. Did you hear what they were playing on the move? There are probabaly 2 - 3 corps that have the balls to do those kinds of things on the move. I'm sure if you timed all corps marching and playing versus standing and playing percentages, Crown isn't doing that the most. All I have to say on this topic.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4

I don't get the show at all, but I can't stop listening / watching / humming it.

Mike

And that's all a show needs to be a success with the audience.

• Like 2

No but there was a season where 3 or 4 different top 25 corps played "Tiger of San Pedro" :ph34r:/>

You might be thinking of 1979, where three of the first four corps performing in Finals (Cavaliers, Blue Stars and North Star) all played "Children of Sanchez."

• Like 1

I'm sure if you timed all corps marching and playing versus standing and playing percentages, Crown isn't doing that the most. All I have to say on this topic.

The percentage takes into account when the visual majority of the brass players were neither marching nor playing. Standstill playing is not a part of the measurement. It did include work with props, running rather than marching/jazz running to the next set, and moments where vocals were the focal point.

Crown- 26.583%

BD- 20.290%

Cadets- 2.393%

SCV- 4.259%

Bluecoats- 11.350%

Phantom- 5.858%

Cavaliers- 11.372%

Edited by Cavfan930
  • Like 1

I don't get the show at all, but I can't stop listening / watching / humming it.

Mike

See, after Crown's performance, I still had BD in my head.

• Like 2

That's allowed. Either a show "clicks" for you or it doesn't. I admire that you're trying to make Crown's show "work" for you, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. There's still plenty of other shows that will do the trick in the off-season.

I drive a Honda Odyssey; it's a great vehicle built in America with an engine also built here. Others drive other makes for their own reasons...more often than not that those particular vehicles appeal to them. They don't wonder why a Honda Odyssey didn't appeal to them as much and I don't wonder why I didn't choose the same vehicle that they did. There's enough different vehicles to suit every automotive-consumer's taste.

And there's enough different drum corps and approaches to shows to suit every drum corps fan's taste.

• Like 1

Along with what Boo said...

People don't typically stand outside McDonald's yelling about how they hate McDonald's, and telling everyone they should go to Burger King.

They just go to Burger King.

:rolleyes:/>

Edited by Lead
  • Like 5