Someone please explain e=mc^2 to me, because I really don't like/g

Answer after reading my comments, please :)  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Considering their title, what it implied, and what was presented, does Crown's show make sense?

• Yes, your comments didn't change my mind
    • No, your comments changed my mind
    • No, I already had this opinion
    • I don't know

In 5 days I'm leaving to serve an LDS mission. As you might know, that's a two year engagement. I'm gonna miss two years of DCI, and whenever I think about this last season, it's going to have e=mc^2. I don't get to watch/listen to SCV's Les Mis, The Cavaliers' Secret Society, or PR's triumphant journey (My top 3 from this year) in an offseason lasting 2 years. In all reality, I'm terrified of coming back and finding that more shows like e=mc^2 have won. So my original post was a last-ditch effort to get the bitter taste out of my mouth concerning the show that is going to be "my champion" for two years. Sadly, it hasn't.

(This is isn't me lamenting choosing to serve a mission. I am wildly excited to go and don't regret that decision in any way)

If there's not enough other drum corps that you actually enjoy to occupy you for the next 5 days to get the "bitter taste" of Crown's first championship out of your mouth then I'm sorry bud, but you deserve to torment yourself for the next 730 long and sleepless nights by obsessing over the fact that you just don't like their show.

ETA: I sometimes find myself wondering how a show like BD's TAGD won, since I didn't have the first clue as to what I was witnessing and didn't much enjoy it either. Then I realized that they were the cleanest, most proficient corps out there, and that the judges don't take my getting it or not into consideration before handing out scores. I then move on with my life.

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

[NM)

Edited by normy diploome

Everytime my Dad sees Spirit of Atlanta, he says, "That's not Atlanta, there aren't nearly enough African-americans on that field." (He lived there for several years) I'm not bashing on spirit, but it is true that DCI, so far as member participation is concerned, lacks cultural/racial diversity. Because it's become more expensive, the activity has slowly become harder and harder for people in minorities to access and participate. And no, it's not racist to say that racial/ethnic minorities are the poor ones in this country, its a socioeconomic fact.

Jeesh, the more you type the more I think a couple of years of unplugged "alone time" might do you some good! You're hijacking your own thread!

Because drum corps is so racist because they don't play favorites. Hogwash. The rules are the same for everyone, and talent, not socioeconomic standing, rule the day.

BD has some of the lowest dues of any corps out there, and some of the most robust sponsorship programs to help kids afford the nut. Every corps offers help to talented kids with drive and motivation.

All it takes is talent, drive, and determination. It doesn't matter what color the MM is.

As if there are so many more drum corps providing the opportunity outside the US!

Please.

• Like 1

Why are you presuming this poster is a youth? Just because he and his friends use internet and disagree?

Nothing that the poster has posted gives a reference of age; neither does the profile of the poster.

Thought process and such seems to be someone who is more adultish in age.

Actually, I did cite my own age in the first post. Thanks for compliment at the end there though. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Jeesh, the more you type the more I think a couple of years of unplugged "alone time" might do you some good! You're hijacking your own thread!

Because drum corps is so racist because they don't play favorites. Hogwash. The rules are the same for everyone, and talent, not socioeconomic standing, rule the day.

BD has some of the lowest dues of any corps out there, and some of the most robust sponsorship programs to help kids afford the nut. Every corps offers help to talented kids with drive and motivation.

All it takes is talent, drive, and determination. It doesn't matter what color the MM is.

As if there are so many more drum corps providing the opportunity outside the US!

Please.

I never said any of that. I never said that DCI is trying to drive off poorer people. I am well aware that there are scholarships, and other programs available through most if not all corps to help anyone who qualifies, participate. I'm already planning on fully funding at least one student in The Cavaliers every year once I've achieved that kind of financial stability.

• Like 1

Everytime my Dad sees Spirit of Atlanta, he says, "That's not Atlanta, there aren't nearly enough African-americans on that field." (He lived there for several years) I'm not bashing on spirit, but it is true that DCI, so far as member participation is concerned, lacks cultural/racial diversity. Because it's become more expensive, the activity has slowly become harder and harder for people in minorities to access and participate. And no, it's not racist to say that racial/ethnic minorities are the poor ones in this country, its a socioeconomic fact.

I agree. As a demographic breakdown, there is much less diversity today in DCI marching ranks than in the 70's.

But... I do see more persons of Color marching in these ranks of DCI Corps across the board than perhaps just a decade or so ago. I also agree with you that its not discriminatory in practice, just perhaps the socio- economic conditions of the cost of participating more than anything else. I also believe that the eviseration of the inner city public school's Music Programs over the years has probably had an impact on DCI participation rates among minorities as well. But thats just my guess here too.

Edited by BRASSO

Why are you presuming this poster is a youth? Just because he and his friends use internet and disagree?

Nothing that the poster has posted gives a reference of age; neither does the profile of the poster.

Thought process and such seems to be someone who is more adultish in age.

Well maybe, just maybe, it is because he wrote, "I'm not even 20 yet". That might be at least an implication that he is a youth wouldn't ya think?

Well maybe, just maybe, it is because he wrote, "I'm not even 20 yet". That might be at least an implication that he is a youth wouldn't ya think?

[/quote

Never post on DCP when just rising from my nap....:sleeping:/> ]

• Like 1

If no one can change your mind about the subject, why spend so much time complaining about it? Not like it will change who the champion was. Most of us really enjoyed their show, especially as evidenced by the crowd reaction at Finals. So there is clearly something there that grabbed people and made them enjoy it. They did win GE, and got the first perfect brass score in history, so not like they weren't deserving of their championship. Just enjoy other shows and let Crown's show be what it is?

• Like 4