Spirit of Atlanta >> New Director <<

I have been reading this forum for years, but until today have never felt compelled to register and add my voice to a topic.

Regarding Mr. Koesters appointment as Director of S.o.A., since no one has offered much back ground, I feel very strongly to offer a few details and personal impressions.After founding director Gail Royers last year at the wheel of the Rolls Royce that was the Santa Clara Vanguard up until that time, color guard instructor Len Kruszecki became director in 1993. For the next three years the Vanguard finished 7th, 5th, & 6th, with very flamboyant shows. Mr. Kruszecki's stamp on the Vanguard was unmistakable. Suddenly, for my self, the corps I had fallen in love with, that fateful August night in 1976 at The Big V contest in Milwaukee, was not quite herself. The attributes I loved so much about her, the things about love that we have such a hard time actually articulating, were suddenly lacking. The uber class that was unmistakably Vanguard was wanting, suddenly everything seemed very overt. It was like seeing her with her bra strap showing. Besides mourning Gale Royers passing in June of 93, I found myself mourning the state of the corps as well.

Enter J.W. Koester as the A Corp Director for the 96 season. (Please google him for his path of trajectory to this point) The 96 show was La Mer ("The Sea" in French) , a show so smooth, subtle and classy I get emotional just thinking about it, and more so remembering what I thought it portended for the future. As the next several years indicated, that thought was not wrong. The 96 show finished only 5th, but the trending direction was unmistakeable. The Rolls Royce was rolling again! In 97 the corps finished 3rd, with Fog City Sketches and new uniforms. They finished 2nd in 98 with Copland, the Modernist, and in 99 they tied BD for First with Inventions for a new Millennium. The show concepts, execution and pure Class in which they were performed still humbles me to this day. The Brass in 97, Drums in 98 and the whole corps in 99 were breathtaking.

Exit J.W. Koester as director ???One of the most baffling actions ever taken by a corps board of directors!In October of 99 Mr. Koesters contract was terminated because he "did not receive very high marks in several categories" of his annual evaluation. J.W.'s own words in a letter to all corps members dated 10/8/99 ( the boards version is, it was not renewed )I travelled extensively with the Vanguard in 2000. I was completely vexed by J.W.'s termination. As I inquired in very personal conversations with several caption heads as to how this could happen, the answer I kept hearing was J.W. was acquiring too much "power" for the boards comfort . . . thus the Vanguard shoots itself in the foot over . . . . . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . . . petty politics!Enter a series of Directors since, with placements at Championships of 4,4,4,5,3,8,6,5,7,6,5 & 4. It's not just the lack of stellar placements. It is the fact that they are just another corps now. I detect little that is special about them. For myself, their have been two Golden eras of the Vanguard, 1967 to 1992, and 1996 to 1999.Oh how I mourn what could have been if J.W. had continued on as Director.

My interest in Spirit of Atlanta waned after 81 when Tom Float left, and has not been stirred again until I saw the news of J.W. being hired as the Corps Director. The members of the Corps and any SofA fan should be very excited about this hire. I will surely be watching with great anticipation.

• Like 8

I have been reading this forum for years, but until today have never felt compelled to register and add my voice to a topic.

Regarding Mr. Koesters appointment as Director of S.o.A., since no one has offered much back ground, I feel very strongly to offer a few details and personal impressions.After founding director Gail Royers last year at the wheel of the Rolls Royce that was the Santa Clara Vanguard up until that time, color guard instructor Len Kruszecki became director in 1993. For the next three years the Vanguard finished 7th, 5th, & 6th, with very flamboyant shows. Mr. Kruszecki's stamp on the Vanguard was unmistakable. Suddenly, for my self, the corps I had fallen in love with, that fateful August night in 1976 at The Big V contest in Milwaukee, was not quite herself. The attributes I loved so much about her, the things about love that we have such a hard time actually articulating, were suddenly lacking. The uber class that was unmistakably Vanguard was wanting, suddenly everything seemed very overt. It was like seeing her with her bra strap showing. Besides mourning Gale Royers passing in June of 93, I found myself mourning the state of the corps as well.

Enter J.W. Koester as the A Corp Director for the 96 season. (Please google him for his path of trajectory to this point) The 96 show was La Mer ("The Sea" in French) , a show so smooth, subtle and classy I get emotional just thinking about it, and more so remembering what I thought it portended for the future. As the next several years indicated, that thought was not wrong. The 96 show finished only 5th, but the trending direction was unmistakeable. The Rolls Royce was rolling again! In 97 the corps finished 3rd, with Fog City Sketches and new uniforms. They finished 2nd in 98 with Copland, the Modernist, and in 99 they tied BD for First with Inventions for a new Millennium. The show concepts, execution and pure Class in which they were performed still humbles me to this day. The Brass in 97, Drums in 98 and the whole corps in 99 were breathtaking.

Exit J.W. Koester as director ???One of the most baffling actions ever taken by a corps board of directors!In October of 99 Mr. Koesters contract was terminated because he "did not receive very high marks in several categories" of his annual evaluation. J.W.'s own words in a letter to all corps members dated 10/8/99 ( the boards version is, it was not renewed )I travelled extensively with the Vanguard in 2000. I was completely vexed by J.W.'s termination. As I inquired in very personal conversations with several caption heads as to how this could happen, the answer I kept hearing was J.W. was acquiring too much "power" for the boards comfort . . . thus the Vanguard shoots itself in the foot over . . . . . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . . . petty politics!Enter a series of Directors since, with placements at Championships of 4,4,4,5,3,8,6,5,7,6,5 & 4. It's not just the lack of stellar placements. It is the fact that they are just another corps now. I detect little that is special about them. For myself, their have been two Golden eras of the Vanguard, 1967 to 1992, and 1996 to 1999.Oh how I mourn what could have been if J.W. had continued on as Director.

My interest in Spirit of Atlanta waned after 81 when Tom Float left, and has not been stirred again until I saw the news of J.W. being hired as the Corps Director. The members of the Corps and any SofA fan should be very excited about this hire. I will surely be watching with great anticipation.

I think you have done a wonderful job of giving us some valuable information. There are a few things here

that do bother me however, and they did before your post. If a corps was doing that well competitively,

why let him go? Seems that there must have been strong justification for most of the board members. Things

we will probably never know about. Why has he been away for so long? Why has he not been somewhere

else all these years? Is he up to date with where the activity is now?

This all begs the question, how much does a corps director influence a corps' show design and instruction?

Probably some more than others depending on how a corps' system is set up.

I have become more and more concerned about the corps over the past few weeks as information, lack of

information, and yes, rumors have been going around. I have lots of friends who have marched and taught

there these past few finalist years. It seems that what ever exact details will be revealed over time, lots of

change will be the theme with many new caption heads and designers in tow. Could be a good thing. I am

doing my best to remain optimistic. I just want to know why so many caption heads have resigned.

Edited by mirrormen

I think you have done a wonderful job of giving us some valuable information. There are a few things here that do bother me however,

and they did before your post. If a corps was doing that well competitively, why let him go?Seems that there must have been strong justification

for most of the board members. Things we will probably never know about. Why has he been away for so long? Why has he not been somewhere

else all these years?Is he up to date with where the activity is now?

This all begs the question, how much does a corps director influence a corps' show design and instruction? Probably some more than others

depending on how a corps' system is set up.

I have become more and more concerned about the corps over the past few weeks as information, lack of information, and yes, rumors have been going

around. I have lots of friends who have marched and taught there these past few finalist years. It seems that what ever exact details will be revealed over

time, lots of change will be the theme with many new caption heads and designers in tow. Could be a good thing. I am doing my

best to remain optimistic. I just want to know why so many caption heads have resigned.

Post 99 SCV, JW was tour director in a couple of different places . . .

Glassmen through 2003, Division 2&3 coordinator from 2004-2007, Tour director at PR from 2007-2009 and then went back to Vanguard through 2012.

So you could say he's been around the activity since the glory years of SCV there.

I found this as far as an actual reference to the event is concerned:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000711075136/www.scorpsboard.com/news/1999/scv_news.html

Post 99 SCV, JW was tour director in a couple of different places . . .

Glassmen through 2003, Division 2&3 coordinator from 2004-2007, Tour director at PR from 2007-2009 and then went back to Vanguard through 2012.

So you could say he's been around the activity since the glory years of SCV there.

I found this as far as an actual reference to the event is concerned:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000711075136/www.scorpsboard.com/news/1999/scv_news.html

Thanks for the link. Any idea if he is moving to Atlanta? A huge city with lots of money.

I think you have done a wonderful job of giving us some valuable information. There are a few things here

that do bother me however, and they did before your post. If a corps was doing that well competitively,

why let him go? Seems that there must have been strong justification for most of the board members. Things

we will probably never know about. Why has he been away for so long? Why has he not been somewhere

else all these years? Is he up to date with where the activity is now?

This all begs the question, how much does a corps director influence a corps' show design and instruction?

Probably some more than others depending on how a corps' system is set up.

I have become more and more concerned about the corps over the past few weeks as information, lack of

information, and yes, rumors have been going around. I have lots of friends who have marched and taught

there these past few finalist years. It seems that what ever exact details will be revealed over time, lots of

change will be the theme with many new caption heads and designers in tow. Could be a good thing. I am

doing my best to remain optimistic. I just want to know why so many caption heads have resigned.

I saw this post and it concerned me enough to do some additional checking of my own. Second hand sources

say that all but the visual caption head has chosen not to return in 2014. That could make sense in that he marched SCV,

maybe when JW was there. Could be interesting to see if this southern corps is taken over by lots of west coasters.

Change is sometimes a good thing, and sometimes too much change is not. Fingers crossed.

I saw this post and it concerned me enough to do some additional checking of my own. Second hand sources

say that all but the visual caption head has chosen not to return in 2014. That could make sense in that he marched SCV,

maybe when JW was there. Could be interesting to see if this southern corps is taken over by lots of west coasters.

Change is sometimes a good thing, and sometimes too much change is not. Fingers crossed.

Dan was there after JW left but I'm sure being a Vanguard alum helped cool.gif

Is JW also heading up their new winter guard program? Was told they had five people at their auditions last weekend.

My concerns still growing. And when will we get official announcements about staff?