Bucky Swan

Nope the only year Hy arranged for us was in in 1970 the corps was around from 65.

Clearly you're in the know, and I was only 14 the first time I saw St Andrew's at Evening With the Corps, but man - I FEEL 100% sure that Hy was doing it, because I remember thinking "How many corps can this dude write for at once?"

I defer to your long Bayonne time, plus I know you Yankee fans are sensitive right now and don't want you to go all postal.

Even with all that I'll bet you an ice cold Ballantine (or a large pie at the Venice) that Hy wrote in 1965.

Edited by rayfallon

So who taught all those St. Andrew's kids to triple tongue like that?

Yes Ray it was Gus and Bill Sexton we would come to rehearsal a half hour before the rest of the corps and just do tonguing exercise starting with single and double than triple tongue. Fun winter that year.

Clearly you're in the know, and I was only 14 the first time I saw St Andrew's at Evening With the Corps, but man - I FEEL 100% sure that Hy was doing it, because I remember thinking "How many corps can this dude write for at once?"

I defer to your long Bayonne time, plus I know you Yankee fans are sensitive right now and don't want you to go all postal.

Even with all that I'll bet you an ice cold Ballantine (or a large pie at the Venice) that Hy wrote in 1965.

Well all I can tell you is Hy arranged for us in 1970. 1969 was Bucky than Larry after 1970. As far as the Yankees they don't owe me a thing in my life time I have seen way more world series victory's then anyone else will ever see in there lifetime.

Edited by lp1955

Gee Ray ... pulling the sensitive Yankees fan card? ... you Long Island guys don't transplant very well ... LOL ... anyway ... if you saw St. Andrew's in 65 it was probably in a parade somewhere ... as far as Hy goes, it wasn't unusual for Pepe, or Gussie, or Bucky to carry an arrangement or two of Hy's in their back pocket when introduced to a new corps ... so ... it's possible that one of his tunes was taught to them early on ... but, I'll bet on Leo's recollection that Hy joined them for the 1970 season ... then Kershner took over in 71 ... that's the lineage laid out on their history page ...

Andy "sensitive Yankees fan" Lisko

Gee Ray ... pulling the sensitive Yankees fan card? ... you Long Island guys don't transplant very well ... LOL ... anyway ... if you saw St. Andrew's in 65 it was probably in a parade somewhere ... as far as Hy goes, it wasn't unusual for Pepe, or Gussie, or Bucky to carry an arrangement or two of Hy's in their back pocket when introduced to a new corps ... so ... it's possible that one of his tunes was taught to them early on ... but, I'll bet on Leo's recollection that Hy joined them for the 1970 season ... then Kershner took over in 71 ... that's the lineage laid out on their history page ...

Andy "sensitive Yankees fan" Lisko

OK I have every intention of going to a Bridgemen rehearsal to embarrass myself on baritone sometime this Fall/Winter. I'll advertise when and gladly pay up the large Venice pizza. That stuff is G O O D !!!!

I had a Bucky memory the other night. Bobby Holton asked me to come out after DCI in 1984 to listen to the corps (which was really very good, especially the brass line) and see if I wanted to help out for the rest of the season. I was exhausted from Bayonne's "Death March" tour (1984 was brutal - no money, kids getting sick, you name it).

Anyhow I went to Randall's Island and rehearsal was in one of the parking lots which you sensitive NY'ers will remember were not terribly well lit. Bucky had a yellow, early '70s Pinto, which he ran the motor on and turned the headlights toward the brass arc during rehearsal.

After a break, the line returned to the arc and asked if someone could get the lights turned back on (the car wasn't in the same spot any more). Bucky looked around and started yelling (Screaming wasn't really his thing - even upset he was sort of half yelling and half laughing" "My #*#*ing car is gone?" "Who the @*#& would steal that POS #*## car?"

They found it over on the West side of 125th Street. I guess someone found themselves on Randall's Island (Swam from Rikers' maybe?) and needed a ride - here was this lovely vintage Pinto just sitting there with the keys in the ignition.

The funniest part was how Bucky took it. It was if he were mostly amused, like Life was playing some gag on him. That has stayed with me now for 29 years. What an absolutely ###### guy Bucky was.

ps I was kidding about Yankee's fans being sensitive... I figured you'd know that. they have like, what? 25 or 26 WS titles? They had Ruth, Gerhig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Maris, Berra, Howard, Ford, Turley, Blanchard, Richardson, Boyer, Tresh, Bouton, Jeter... geez - even Mr Steinbrenner.

Sensitive? Fuggedaboudit ... just a little displaced Red Sox fan humor.

Fuggedaboudit...

Edited by rayfallon

On another note...
My Mom loved and appreciated Bucky.... yet, she just couldn't condone his pottymouth. So, she always had a lil hotel / motel bar of soap in her purse with "Bucky" affectionately carved in it. Looooooooooooooong before "talk to the hand" was a thing..... when they would meet up and his lips would start flapping obscenities.... Mom would reach in her handbag and hold it out towards him till he got the message and then she'd slip it back in her bag and simply meander off. Simply, Classic!! LOL

They had an ... ummm.... understanding of sorts....

• Like 1

Bucky? Obscenities? Nah, #### no!

I'm with ya Ray ... Bucky swearing is about as believable as a bear taking a dump in the woods ... next someone will be saying he drank also ... HERESY!!!! I tell you ... PURE HERESY!!!!

Bucky ---> :angel1:

• Like 2